A Kanji Question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cotedupy

Reaction score
Might someone be able to help me translate these? From an inexpensive, rusty old Yanagiba I picked up. Sorry for the legibility, particularly on the blade they're very difficult to make out. TY!

IMG_1690.jpg

IMG_1691.jpg

IMG_1686.jpg

The brand name is Kikushige 菊重 from first photo. Can't make out above it.
Second photo says Sakai 堺 meihin 名産 (famous product of the location) then 優良品 yuuryouhin meaning something akin to "excellent product". But the interesting thing is that Meisan 名産 is written right to left. This suggests that the knife may have been made prior to 1945. After which Japanese, when written sideways became written left to right. The kakumaki being metal (brass?) and the extend of wear on the handle would support this possibility.
The photo of the kanji on the blade is very worn but I would "guess" that it simply said Tokusen 特撰 meaning Special Selection.

Nice! thank you KenHash, interesting to know how the written language evolved :)

That is very interesting, thank you @KenHash !

It was certainly sold as an old knife, tho I had no idea it might be that old. Would be very cool if it was :)

This is a picture just after I took the handle off, not sure about the metal, but it could well be thin brass. If it's more than half a century old then the blade is actually in really good nick. I'll post some WIP pictures in the subforum.

37A76D07-AB71-4BCD-A16A-7B837C6963E6.jpeg

Back