A Laser Zwilling Kramer Damascus? Regrinding & Etching

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the 80 grit diamond stone you used ?

It's a pity Zwilling wouldn't take a step further before releasing them to the market. But glad ours both worked out!

Hey hey show some respect.

These exceptional knives undergo a rigorous 100-step, 42-day manufacturing process during which they pass through the hands of 45 expert artisans. They are made to Bob Kramer's exacting specifications...

Funnily enough you can't find that legend on Zwilling official anymore. Or it's buried some place that's not obvious. Had to resort to Amazon to find it in all its glory... Nowadays only the "Kramer's exacting specificiations", "Honbazuke edge" remain of the original pissing contest.

They probably make a hundred in three hours. Four guys in the shop operating the factory - COVID and everything... :p

Nice job on that - I have done one major thin job on a new-ish knife, and it was a bear.

My 210 Denka (measurements 214 blade, 54.5 heel height) came pretty thick behind the edge:

When new: 167g
1,6mm 1cm up from the heel.
1,6mm 1cm up from midblade.
1,4mm 1cm up from 2cm from the tip.

Hours of elbow grease with sandpaper, 140 diamond place, SG220 and NP400 and it lost 4g, down to 163g, but those behind-the-edge numbers became

1.2mm 1cm up from the heel.
1,1mm 1cm up from midblade.
1,0mm 1cm up from 2cm from the tip.

Cutting performance increased dramatically.

Nice job on that - I have done one major thin job on a new-ish knife, and it was a bear.

My 210 Denka (measurements 214 blade, 54.5 heel height) came pretty thick behind the edge:

Hours of elbow grease with sandpaper, 140 diamond place, SG220 and NP400 and it lost 4g, down to 163g, but those behind-the-edge numbers became

Typical OOTB TF specs 😁

The performance is quite a delicate thing, isn't it? A little bit thicker behind the edge and it's lost.

I'd be very happy with those new specs. The stock ones seem typical of most TFs I've handled.

The performance is quite a delicate thing, isn't it? A little bit thicker behind the edge and it's lost.

Indeed. It wasn't bad before thinning - in fact, it was good enough that I was relatively surprised that it was so thick behind the edge. But the improvement is quite tangible.

I'd be very happy with those new specs. The stock ones seem typical of most TFs I've handled.

Yeah, it really transformed the knife. I won't lie - it's not my favorite profile among my gyutos: it has very little flat spot and I both generally prefer longer knives AND I mostly straight chop and push cut, so I like some flat/nearly flat in the shape. With that Denka, I need to slightly alter my cutting style to ensure I don't leave things uncut. On the other hand, TF's steel is the real deal, taking a "perform delicate eye surgery" edge trivially, and holding it for a good long time, and the food release is great. It's amazing for draw cutting, G&G and rocking.

I loved seeing the work the OP put into thinning this blade... also looking forward to seeing the etched version.

For what it's worth, here's my laser ZKramer 52100 that JKI put on a diet. There's no convexing and food release is bad, but I do not care at all because the thing cuts like crazy and the tip is insane.

kramer choil.jpeg

Reactions: JDC
I loved seeing the work the OP put into thinning this blade... also looking forward to seeing the etched version.

For what it's worth, here's my laser ZKramer 52100 that JKI put on a diet. There's no convexing and food release is bad, but I do not care at all because the thing cuts like crazy and the tip is insane.

View attachment 161749
This grind is insane, they did a really good job!

Can you adjust the rpm on the 1 x 30 belt sanders? The one I looked at was 1 speed. I want variable speed. It is one of the reasons I use the Worksharp.

I was using the one that togo offers. Not sure if they still have any. It's quite heavy and not as consistent as Atoma plates. But it's much cheaper.
Who is Togo ?

Back