Advice for removing scratches?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ECUSteve

Reaction score
I just purchased a used Konosuke GS+ gyuto. Got it for a good deal but it’s pretty scratched up. Mostly surface from sharpening, etc but I’d like to put in the work to clean it up.

I’m not new to sanding/wet sanding things, but have never cleaned up a knife. Have a good variety of sandpaper and polishes/compounds (have read that people use Flitz when on the finer grit?)

So curious what progression of sandpaper people use for a chef’s knife? Thanks in advance!

Tight progression starting lower than the scratches and ending where you're happy. Often between 600, where I often stop, and much higher (3000) for mirror polishes.

Tight progression starting lower than the scratches and ending where you're happy. Often between 600, where I often stop, and much higher (3000) for mirror polishes.
Thanks! That’s kind of what I figured. I had read on another random post that I found that it’d be between 1200-1600 for a satin finish. Debating if I really want to progress that far

Also alternate your sanding between horizontal and perpendicular to the edge so you can tell that you're removing the scratches. Use something to back up the paper or your hands will hate you. Support the edge of the blade and your hands will hate you less.

I wrap my sandpaper around an eraser (the ones from your childhood school days, that are about 1cm x 2cm x 4cm). They're soft enough to bend to match the grind of the knife.

To remove scratches, try starting at 300 or 400, then up to 800.

600 to 800 will give you a nice satin finish. Try starting at 220. If they're deep, you may have to drop. I usually use 80 / 150 / 220 / 320 / 400 / 800 as my progression. I also use glass cleaner as lubricant.

Latest posts

Back