Am I an idiot? - sharpening vs. touch up

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly a touch up to me just means using my normal 3k or 4K finisher only instead of 1k-3/4K progression lol. And usually I do this because I’m short on time or the knife isn’t crazy dull enough to warrant full progression.

6n9yvv.jpg

Haha! I almost said this. I don't think it's really worth drawing a distinction tbh.

---

One thing I would say though is that if people want to do quick, sharpening jobs like this without removing too much metal / raising big burrs - natural stones tend to be better.

I feel like this is somewhat relevant with this discussion. Though not exactly answering ops question.

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2018/05/28/chipping-of-edges/

In the article in knife steel nerds some of this stuff wont be relevant to an end user, but it's all interesting stuff. Mainly the parts on fatigue, and microchipping.

The video, not so much in the sense of an edge is going to be bad from the manufacturer (although I'm sure this does happen even with Japanese kitchen knives), but more the roles that steel fatigue will have on an edge that has been used for very long periods with only the bare minimum amounts of steel being removed, as to bring the edge up to the level where, the area of the microchipping is now the apex.

Back