Amazon 1000 grit... Chosera? Super?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pikehaus

Somebody
Reaction score
Have you emailed the vendor? That's the real answer.

If you've heard nothing, my best guess is that it's a Chosera, and that "Super Ceramic" is a "translation" of the "word" "Chosera". "Chosera" was a portmanteau of 超 (pronounced "chô", "koeru", or "kosu"; meaning "surpass", "exceed" or "super-") and セラミクス (a transcription of "ceramics"), so they're likely just using the English words "super ceramic" in the English description.

If translations tend to be a problem, perhaps you might buy from local Aussie vendors?
https://www.knivesandstones.com.au/...sera-1000-grit-japanese-waterstone-with-stand

If you've heard nothing, my best guess is that it's a Chosera, and that "Super Ceramic" is a "translation" of the "word" "Chosera". "Chosera" was a portmanteau of 超 (pronounced "chô", "koeru", or "kosu"; meaning "surpass", "exceed" or "super-") and セラミクス (a transcription of "ceramics"), so they're likely just using the English words "super ceramic" in the English description.

If translations tend to be a problem, perhaps you might buy from local Aussie vendors?
https://www.knivesandstones.com.au/...sera-1000-grit-japanese-waterstone-with-stand
Thanks; the name just tripped me up.

Excellent. First-rate whetsone semantics knowledge. Kudos!

That link says unavailable but yeah it's known you can get Choseras off Amazon from third party sellers who buy them in the Japanese market. As long as you buy from one the guys with a big history and high ratings, its legit and will probably net you a decent savings. I paid $130 for my 3k Chosera from sharpening supplies. I've seen that stone on Amazon for $80. Would I do that if I could go back? Absolutely.

Also Amazon themselves, through their Amazon Japan subsidiary, directly sells many naniwa (and other sweet Japanese) products straight out of the Japanese market. While they're not selling those particular stones they do sell the "baby" versions of them. That might be worth a look for some people. They come in the same thickness and format as a shapton pro except they are Choseras. I've bought other cool things from Amazon Japan like a naniwa diamond stone and also an Asahi rubber cutting board. It's pretty cool, they ship straight from Japan with Japanese packing slips and whatnot, Amazon takes care of any customs bs. Only issue I've had is sometimes the tracking gets messed up. It says delivered once the Amazon warehouse gets it from the Japanese courier, but usually it ends up in your hands the next day anyway. That's only happened some of the times for me but otherwise seamless experiences.

Back