Angle vs sharpness

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my experience the angle you sharpen at impacts how durable an edge is more than sharpness. Sure a more acute edge might be able to pierce the skin of a tomato with its own weight more easily than an obtuse edge, but in practical applications I don't find a difference of a few degrees to be a huge factor. I didn't know what angle I sharpened at, so I just sharpened up a gyuto and measured the height I lifted it off the stone (10.2mm) and the blade height (43mm) and got an angle of around 14 degrees. That is the angle that feels right to me, and works well enough.

In my experience the angle you sharpen at impacts how durable an edge is more than sharpness. Sure a more acute edge might be able to pierce the skin of a tomato with its own weight more easily than an obtuse edge, but in practical applications I don't find a difference of a few degrees to be a huge factor. I didn't know what angle I sharpened at, so I just sharpened up a gyuto and measured the height I lifted it off the stone (10.2mm) and the blade height (43mm) and got an angle of around 14 degrees. That is the angle that feels right to me, and works well enough.

I agree the actual value - within reasonable limits - might be somewhat irrelevant. If your gyuto performs well you won't care if it was sharpened at 12 or 14 degree. In order to have it repeatable though you may want some benchmark. And the value becomes relevant when we try to explore the limits of a given steel. E.g.: I wouldn't suggest to someone to reduce the angle with 3 degree when I know it's actually sharpened at 11 degree and the steel is VG-10...

I agree the actual value - within reasonable limits - might be somewhat irrelevant. If your gyuto performs well you won't care if it was sharpened at 12 or 14 degree. In order to have it repeatable though you may want some benchmark. And the value becomes relevant when we try to explore the limits of a given steel. E.g.: I wouldn't suggest to someone to reduce the angle with 3 degree when I know it's actually sharpened at 11 degree and the steel is VG-10...

I agree with what you are saying, but for me repeatability just comes from muscle memory, and I don't even sharpen very much.

For me repeatability just comes from muscle memory, and I don't even sharpen very much.
I'm affraid my muscle memory can't remember with precision the six different positions I use for the right side of different blades, and the four for the left side. I have to reset it by verifying from time to time.

Back