• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Any Cimeter's out there?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graydo77

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm just curious if anyone has any Cimeter's they are looking to get rid of. My father is retiring next week from being in the meat cutting industry for 40 years and I thought a nice one would be a cool present.

I saw a couple on eBay tonight, vintage Chicago Cutlery, #45S. Not that they know what they are called. ;-)

They may be part of a set.

Are you sure he wants a knife that he's used for his career? Doesn't he already have some?

He actually doesn't, just used what the company had there for them to use. I just thought out of the two knives he used a nice cimeter would look better on a wooden stand with a plaque over a boning knife.

Contact Bill Burke and commission him to make one. It will take a while (2 years?) but in the end you will have a very, very special knife for your dad. You also may be able see if Devin Thomas is making knives again -- he's made some stunning scimitars.

Have a Marko. Like a Marko.

The most used knife by a butcher is prob a boning knife. I could see a well done Butch,Marko,Bloodroot et al being a treasured reminder. And it might get used.

Thanks for all the replies guys, a traditional boning knife is a good idea also, I let him try a Japanese style one and he didn't care for the shape lol.

Perhaps a Munetoshi butcher from Maxim at JNS? It's not as large as a traditional scimitar but could be ideal for kitchen butchery.

I'd get him a knife he'd use daily, q great quality western handle Gyuto

Call his work and grab one of the ones he actually used. It's a display piece and would mean more to your dad. ( maybe throw in a decent rehandle). If they wouldn't sell you one, grab a used one off eBay ( same brand)

Look at the rmurphy knives? Likely familiar shapes for him (though bullnose rather than cimeter), definitely nice handles, and might both make the attractive display you described AND be usable, if he'd rather.

Thanks for all the ideas guys, I think I'm gonna go with the vintage route and do a rehandle. Now to find the time to get things done before the holidays[emoji23]

Back