Any dumpling fiends out there?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve been getting way into dumplings lately. Eating them around town, and talking to some buddies who are into dim sum and whatnot. After eating enough I decided to try and make my own. My mother is Japanese, and she’s always made gyoza but honestly it was never very good, always just crumbly hamburger-esque meat crammed in wrappers. I’ve come to realize that dumpling filling follows similar criteria to sausage making. You have to make sure to build myosin in your meat before just cramming seasoned ground meat into skins.
My first run was 2# pork shoulder and 1# pork belly. Cut into cubes and salted to let rest overnight. (10g salt to 500g meat). Then ground in my KitchenAid, followed by 1# or shrimp, soaked in baking soda of course. Doing this gave my filling a perfect bounce separated by plump shrimp bits. This round I made into siumai
2vudopl.jpg

My results were awesome but honestly I don’t care much to grind meat in my small home kitchen. My next test was to see if I can’t achieve the same texture with preground meat. So I salted the ground pork, gave it a good mix, let is sit overnight. Then paddled the meat real good in the KitchenAid to get those muscle fibers to bind. It worked like a charm. This round was lemongrass pork with birds eye chili and lots of fish sauce.
kb848p.jpg

I currently have my next round of filling being salted, 2# ground lamb 1# ground beef, cumin and garlic. I’ll be making my own dough this time so pictures of that project to follow. Let’s see some of your dumplings!

I love dumplings of all sizes, kinds and flavours - from Italian to traditional Slovakian - sweet, salty, filled with cheese, marmalade, plums, bryndza. You name I eat it :D

Serendipitously, I made gyoza for the first time yesterday. Looked like crap, tasted pretty damn good. I think I rolled the dough too thin and I couldn't fold them properly, yours look awesome. Didn't think too much about the meat though, just asked the butcher to grind some pork on the spot, sprinkled some salt, let it rest while I made the wrappers and then mixed with the rest of the stuff, didn't turn out crumbly at all, maybe I just got lucky.

Plums are out of season, but if I can find some I have to make a batch of Hungarian plum dumplings.

Folding the gyoza is tricky. Luckily, I have a friend that is a pro at it and we get together and make several hundred at a time with several different fillings. (They freeze well). Hers still look better than mine even after a couple thousand. Fortunately for me, it doesn't affect the taste.

Latest posts

Back