Any experience with the JKI synthetic natural?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dafox

Reaction score
What do you use yours for, meat, fish, vegs, or both?
How toothy is it?
Does it work well on all steels?
Do you use yours perma soaked or splash and go?
Thanks in advance.

Only tried it.

Really toothy. Definitely teeth on teeth on teeth like natural stones, but with the sharper grit shape that synthetics seem to have.

Only tried it on iron clad blue and japanese soft stainless and worked well.

It was permasoaked. Good feedback too.

Last edited:
Only tried it.

Really toothy. Definitely teeth on teeth on teeth like natural stones, but with the sharper grit shape that synthetics seem to have.

Only tried it on iron clad blue and japanese soft stainless and worked well.

It was permasoaked. Food feedback too.

Tried @CiderBear’s. Really impressed. Good teeth, good refinement. One of the best edges I’ve produced, I think.

About to become reunited with it later on today. Used to love it. Pretty sure it works best permasoaked but you might want to double check what the description says on the site.

About to become reunited with it later on today. Used to love it. Pretty sure it works best permasoaked but you might want to double check what the description says on the site.
The site says:
The Gesshin Synthetic Natural Finishing Stone is a splash and go stone. However, it works best when permanently soaked (or soaked for a long period of time... just be aware that this can cause issues when drying, as is the case for all resinoid based stones)...This stone can be soaked and stored in water for extended periods of time, but if you want to use it as a splash and go, between use, it should be allowed to dry in cool, well ventilated area away from direct sunlight. Drying this stone too quickly can cause hairline cracks to form. If you do want to dry out the stone, wrapping it with a damp cloth to slow the drying process works well.

It is ma favorite finisher for kitchen knives. Good blend of bite and refinement. Bite-wise it feels between Gesshin 4k and 6k. Cuts well even wear resistant steels. Is on the softer side and feels real nice. May clog a little on soft stainless cladding when working on the bevels. I permasoak mine.

Okay.
White, blue, SIH, semistainless, Aeb-l, R2
i just sharpened wh2, wh1, r-2, blue2 and aus 8.
Yeah I mean it’s great for jnat folks that want a synth that sorta emulates jnat feedback I suppose. Even sharpening 5 knives in a row on it it still didn’t load at all, seems like it wears slow. It’s a giant stone too.
Very toothy edge, all my blades came out nice except the aus 8 blade which I think I didn’t work hard enough on the mid grit and deburred enough.

Okay.

i just sharpened wh2, wh1, r-2, blue2 and aus 8.
Yeah I mean it’s great for jnat folks that want a synth that sorta emulates jnat feedback I suppose. Even sharpening 5 knives in a row on it it still didn’t load at all, seems like it wears slow. It’s a giant stone too.
Very toothy edge, all my blades came out nice except the aus 8 blade which I think I didn’t work hard enough on the mid grit and deburred enough.
Thanks Labor!

Back