Anyone has feedback about Kensho Zan Whetstone #400?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abarbosa

Reaction score
Hi,

This stone has caught my attention and since there's not much information around about these Kensho stones I would like to ask if any of you has experience with this stone.

The store "Fine Edge Cutlery"has some information about the stone, but I am looking for a hands on experience with it.

I've never heard of this stone before. Also not from this brand.

The description in your link sounds promising.

But on the other hand - there are so many good stones in this grit range from the well-known manufacturers that I personally would not buy an unknown stone.

But that's just my personal opinion. I just see no reason to bet my money on an outsider.

They seem less commonly used, but there is one person who swears by them - naoto from knifewear. I think he generally uses them to check flatness and geometry. If you’re interested you can shoot him an email, he does respond and is pretty good at what he does. All I know is they seem to be reaaaally hard and dish resistant.

They’re in the middle of garage sale this week tho, not sure if he’ll reply promptly.

https://tsukiyama.buyshop.jp/categories/960228
They are the Tsukiyama house brand, and Tsukiyama is a very reputable shop, with a very detailed blog about steel, blacksmithing, and natural and artificial stones.

The sharpener also was able to successfully repair an old Japanese laminated 360mm gyuto someone sent them from the aizu region . . . Which is quite a good feat for straightness and consistency

After watching the whole series in the Tsukiyama online shop, I have to revise my opinion a bit.

The description of the Stones reads very well and would be worth a try. At least if you're not sitting on a whole mountain of stones like I am.

Now I would be interested in the experiences of users myself, just out of interest and pure curiosity.

Oh yeah, and the shop published a whole book about sharpening in Japanese Whetstones, which is one of the handful out there. It's a Japanese / English dual language book that I had bought awhile ago digitally on amazon

Oh yeah, and the shop published a whole book about sharpening in Japanese Whetstones, which is one of the handful out there. It's a Japanese / English dual language book that I had bought awhile ago digitally on amazon
do you have a link to the book?

Or can I find it in the online shop?

Edit, I found it in the online shop.

But it looks like the printed version is only in Japanese.

It seems to be the third book and it will probably be released in a few days.

I would be very grateful for any information about the previous two books.

Last edited:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00TY50RH8?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
Screenshot_20220510-233946.png

Took me a bit of time to test this stone properly. After 1 year of using it I think I found where it shines. This is a soaking stone that doesn’t need much time soaking, 7min is enough. Cuts fast, dishes faster than a splash and go but I don’t think it’s horrible. I always check my work with a shapton glass and I never had any issues. Where this stone shines in my opinion is creating a dark looking kasumi. It’s amazing!!! Unfortunately I don’t have any stone that can keep it. All the other stones that I have erase a bit the nice kasumi and this stone leaves scratches on the soft iron so I can’t really stop there. The stone is also 75mm wide and 210 mm long which is nice.

Back