Anyone tried VMatter knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i had a customer bring one in for sharpening, and even though its not something i would normally do, i took it on just to see what it was like. I was rather unimpressed with the feeling of the steel, sharpenability, and edge retention. Needless to say the cross-sectional geometry and profile were not my style either.

How did you test the edge retention? From the review which I linked in the OP (from a source which I usually trust), the edge seemed to last a superlatively long time. Did you notice an abrupt drop off in sharpness after just a few tests, or was your experience more in-depth? Perhaps the reviewer knows less about knife sharpness than I imagined.

Perhaps the reviewer knows less about knife sharpness than I imagined.

I've got a tenner against a Duncan Donut that that is the case. For a candid response from Jon, pls contact him via PM or email. He's not only one of the most knowledgeable knife peoples on here, he's also a vendor of what some might consider competitors wares.

FWIW the VMatter knives rated a good bit of discussion here a year or so ago. My google fu is failing me but it should be a simple search.

How did you test the edge retention? From the review which I linked in the OP (from a source which I usually trust), the edge seemed to last a superlatively long time. Did you notice an abrupt drop off in sharpness after just a few tests, or was your experience more in-depth? Perhaps the reviewer knows less about knife sharpness than I imagined.

the customer used the brand new knife for a period of time before bringing it in. After sharpening, the edge lasted longer than initially, but not as long as other knives he was using alongside it.

I only got to see it brand new, after use, during sharpening, after sharpening, and after use again. I tried cutting paper and a few other things with it while i had it, but this is mostly based on the customers use.

*i will say that this is all based on my limited experience with one knife, so take that for what its worth

Thanks for the update, Dave. "Heavy usage" is relative, so it's great to hear a professional chime in.
My google fu is failing me but it should be a simple search.
Actually, I googled this site for hits before I posted my query, and I didn't see any earlier conversations. Hrm. Maybe I'll have to work on my search skills, too.

The linked review is less than comprehensive. Also there's the glaring problem of the profile being beyond awful. But once again, this isn't a knife marketed to knife geeks, or even pros, it's for the mass consumers.

Amorphous Edge is the latest development from VMatter. To create this line we permanently bond an exclusive material, one of the hardest metal alloys on earth to a stainless steel body to form the knife's edge

what the hell does that mean? mystery core with regular stainless cladding?

"stainless steel body" would imply a stainless steel core, with something applied onto it... like a titanium nitride coated drillbit...

I read it as a core with a jacket. I could be totally off base here. Wouldn't be the first time. Won't be the last. But really- why would they advertise a stainless core with a mystery wrapper?

If it really is build as hard jacket soft core construction, maybe only a solid piece of the same steel was left after sharpening :)

In the world of hair shears it's common for higher end Chinese made (and cheap Japanese) shears to have a soft stainless core that's coated in a hard outer surface like titanium or cobalt. Most sharpeners know that these shears work OK until they need sharpening.

And what the hell is an "Amorphous Edge" anyway? :D

a·mor·phous
əˈmôrfəs/Submit
adjective
without a clearly defined shape or form.
"amorphous blue forms and straight black lines"
synonyms: shapeless, formless, structureless, indeterminate; More
vague; ill-organized; unclassifiable.
"make explicit the amorphous statements"
(of a group of people or an organization) lacking a clear structure or focus.
"an amorphous and leaderless legislature"

a·mor·phous
əˈmôrfəs/Submit
adjective
without a clearly defined shape or form.
"amorphous blue forms and straight black lines"
synonyms: shapeless, formless, structureless, indeterminate; More
vague; ill-organized; unclassifiable.
"make explicit the amorphous statements"
(of a group of people or an organization) lacking a clear structure or focus.
"an amorphous and leaderless legislature"

Well that doesn't paint a pretty (edge) picture now does it? :D

after looking more closely at their website, it seems they've made a number of changed since they started. I can see i was sharpening an original model instead of one of their new ones, so please keep that in mind when reading the previous comments i made.

i think this answers a lot of the questions in this thread:
http://www.foodrepublic.com/2015/08/03/tested-vmatter-liquidmetal-chefs-knife/

for example, it seems the vmatter special metal is only the edge of the knife, and the rest of the knife is stainless. Not like san-mai, but rather just the last few mm of the edge are the vmatter.

And there you have it folks. Cast stainless with a Vmatter(?) edge. That's actually worse than what I thought.

Latest posts

Back