Aogami Super sharpening

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennis7490

Reaction score
Just curious.
I have one Aogami Super petty knife that takes an edge very easily, and holds it very well.
I have all kinds of knives, from Dexter high carbon to Shun stainless. the Dexter high carbon take an edge very easily, and lose it very fast. Not so with the Aogami. Why? I know it has something to do with the Rockwell, but my Shun knives are a ***** to sharpen, and probably have the same rockwell as the Aogami.

Aogami super is a very nice steel. There are many other nice flavors out there.

Here is a great menu tour.

[video=youtube_share;jkLsLst8qMc]http://youtu.be/jkLsLst8qMc[/video]

High carbon steel isn't very abrasion resistant, so it's easy to sharpen. However, it must be pretty hard to keep an edge, and I'd bet the Dexter is something like 56 RC, while the Aogami (which isn't plain high carbon steel, either) is more like 62 RC. Holds an edge much better.

The Shuns will be something like VG-10 stainless, or some similar alloy, and those alloys are much more abrasion resistant due to the presence of chromium carbides. Takes more work to sharpen them. They should, however, hold an edge much better than low rockwell carbon steel!

Pete

Back