Arashiyama 6k S&G or perma soaked?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thpp9

Reaction score
I was wondering if there is any difference in Arashiyama's performance as a splash 'n go and permasoaked as far polishing wide bevels go.

Also, it would be my first time perma soaking a stone. How long will it take to be soaked in order to start feeling like it's performing at its maximum potential?

Thanks in advance!

I soak my arashiyama 6k for around 40 minute, until all the bubble gone, S&G does not work for this one, stone will dry immediately.

Eh? I don't have any problems using it as S&G. The first spray tends to vanish, quickly, but after you re-add a few times it works fine. Way less problematic as a S&G stone than the Naniwa Pro 5000 imo.

better keep it as S&G. if you soak it keep it as soaking. changing soak to S&G will ruin the resin, and make it easy to crack and lead to split stone. Both my Imanishi (Arashiyama 6K and Tamago 4K) behave like this.

Love it as a S&G. The arashiyama is my fav 6k stone. Makes a really nice mirror on core steel in a jiffy.

Seems that most of you like it as a Splash and Go. Seems like I will give it a try like that to get a feeling. If the results are good, I will just use it as s&g.

Thanks for your responses!

In my experience it will depend on if you're using the stone to polish wide bevels or not. Permasoaking for this purpose makes the stone absolutely sublime for polishing. It is an excellent stone otherwise for almost everything (except maybe cutting high vanadium steels) but permasoaking it makes that little bit more adept for polishing bevels

In my experience it will depend on if you're using the stone to polish wide bevels or not. Permasoaking for this purpose makes the stone absolutely sublime for polishing. It is an excellent stone otherwise for almost everything (except maybe cutting high vanadium steels) but permasoaking it makes that little bit more adept for polishing bevels
Well, my main focus with this stone is polishing wide bevels. I've seen some results from perma soaked and it was quite pleasing honestly. I will give it a try first as a splash n go and if not satisfied, then I will think about soaking/permasoaking it.

Thanks for.your input!

Tosho says as much as @Alder26 and @zizirex. Once perma there's no going back, but they like it perma for extra polishing abilities.
So, if it's permasoaked, it won't be able to be used as S&G. What about If I soak it till the bubbles stop coming from the stone, can I go back to s&g?

Even if perma I surmise you could go back S&G if you take precautions: have it dry inside a soaked towel, and when the towel is finally completely dry outside but you find the stone still damp inside, wrap in a damp but well wringed out towel and let it dry again. Will take days.

Waiting until bubbled out I guess is nothing so dangerous, but rather just quickly submerge it for 30 seconds or rinse it abundantly before use. Usually S&G that are a little thirsty it’s all they need. Or a couple more splashes for that matter. Even if you see water soaking in quite quickly, you can’t tell much about water management until using it, where slurry/mud often change behavior with water.

Even if perma I surmise you could go back S&G if you take precautions: have it dry inside a soaked towel, and when the towel is finally completely dry outside but you find the stone still damp inside, wrap in a damp but well wringed out towel and let it dry again. Will take days.

Waiting until bubbled out I guess is nothing so dangerous, but rather just quickly submerge it for 30 seconds or rinse it abundantly before use. Usually S&G that are a little thirsty it’s all they need. Or a couple more splashes for that matter. Even if you see water soaking in quite quickly, you can’t tell much about water management until using it, where slurry/mud often change behavior with water.
Ok gotcha! That was really helpful! I will definitely keep this in mind! I will use it as a s&g and depending on the performance I will act accordingly.

Oh you'll probably find performance fine: meaning you can't compare what you don't know yet for yourself, no matter what we tell you what we experienced for ourselves. Even soakers are not automatically better when permasoaked also, and how they can be is not necessarily how you like them. It may not be even how well they work, but rather easier water and mud management there. Me I hated a permasoaked Ouka where many people advise for it. Found it made it too soft and dishy and overly muddy in sharpening. I have a few stones that are perma, and it's not necessarily all magical now. Those I thought would benefit the less out of it I found them nicer to use, those I thought would really improve didn't, or not in ways I find particularly more pleasing.

So you're absolutely right my friend, you'll see as you go, and it's the same thing with each new stone.

Oh you'll probably find performance fine: meaning you can't compare what you don't know yet for yourself, no matter what we tell you what we experienced for ourselves. Even soakers are not automatically better when permasoaked also, and how they can be is not necessarily how you like them. It may not be even how well they work, but rather easier water and mud management there. Me I hated a permasoaked Ouka where many people advise for it. Found it made it too soft and dishy and overly muddy in sharpening. I have a few stones that are perma, and it's not necessarily all magical now. Those I thought would benefit the less out of it I found them nicer to use, those I thought would really improve didn't, or not in ways I find particularly more pleasing.

So you're absolutely right my friend, you'll see as you go, and it's the same thing with each new stone.
Well, the more you get to know about knives and stones, you understand how much more there is out there and how little you actually do know. I truly appreciate each and every advise but in the end you gotta test things yourself as well. It's like watching a sharpening or polishing guide on youtube and you think you mastered it (scratches and streaks on my bevel laugh hysterically right now lol ). Without trying things for yourself and actually investing time into it your results will always be mediocre at best.

Back