Batterie de Cuisine

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Michi, you could think about getting a mat or that open grid they use behind bars to put at your cutting location.
Thank you for the suggestion, that's a nice way of attacking the problem from a different angle!

I'm currently talking to a board maker in Tasmania who will do custom orders. I might be able to get an edge grain board that fits the space and isn't too thick. If not, I'll probably just put up with the bamboo one I have and resign myself to having to sharpen a bit more often.

I did look at the various Japanese rubber boards. None are the right size. The ones with a wooden core can't be cut to size; I did find one without a wooden core that would be large enough to cut off the 50 x 60 cm size I want, but that's not a cost-effective option.

Thought I’d update this with my clay pot collection. I use all of these on a gas cooktop. Chinese sand pot top left, glazed tagine, la Chamba soup pot from Columbia, Korean super useful small pot, Turkish unglazed guvec.

Bottom row, high tech Italian Piral terra cotta, three graduated sizes of Spanish cazuelas, a smaller la chamba and another piral that I like to use with a Japanese drop lid. Five of these were less than $15, the soup pot was the only expensive thing, I think it costs $80. I bet the whole collection cost me two hundred bucks.
8F040119-6E07-425C-B5DE-E60A97C95E02.jpeg

Last edited:
Back