Been a while since we had a Cleaver chat.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just how people like to draw in old styled poster. Mao has surprisingly complicated relations with his daughters, one of them is from his old wife, and she’s not in a good relation with his new wife during the whole ordeal. And his favorite is not even his own sons or daughters, but his nephew. Dude wield a lot of power during cultural revolution

Last edited:
I use a Enso 7inch HD about 95% of the time. Holds an edge for ages, I wouldn't be without it.
20230713_095712.jpg

Any one ever try the Roselli cleaver? I like their outdoor knives and the steel is really nice for that purpose. Holds a really fine shaving edge for a long time. Yet those are Scandi grinds. Not sure what kind of grind they put on these.
Roselli Chinese style Cook knife | Lamnia

Any one ever try the Roselli cleaver? I like their outdoor knives and the steel is really nice for that purpose. Holds a really fine shaving edge for a long time. Yet those are Scandi grinds. Not sure what kind of grind they put on these.
Roselli Chinese style Cook knife | Lamnia
Honestly it looks more like a bone chopper than Chinese cleaver…

Honestly it looks more like a bone chopper than Chinese cleaver…
I was kind of wondering that myself. I mean it is only a Blade length: 155 mm, Thickness: 3 mm, Hardness: Around 60 HRC and Weight: 400 g.
Handle: Curly birch
Ferrule: Stainless steel
. Wonder if it can be used a little for both. I guess it would depend on how they did the edge.

I had one for a while from a well known Finnish knife importer. The workmanship and the blade grind were terrible. Not sure he didn't send me a second or something. I don't think I ever used it for anything. It was passed on to a new home at the Oregon Knife Collector's show.

I had one for a while from a well known Finnish knife importer. The workmanship and the blade grind were terrible. Not sure he didn't send me a second or something. I don't think I ever used it for anything. It was passed on to a new home at the Oregon Knife Collector's show.

That is sad to hear. Their hunting and carving puukkos are excellent blades and the steel is awesome. I have not heard the best about their cooking knives though which made me wonder about the cleaver. I guess they are good at what they know and not so great at other stuff. Oh the axes are really nice too.

Has anyone had expirence with chopper king 8 inch VG10 vegetable cleaver?

Also looking at the enso vg10/SG2 but I can't find them in the UK.

Ok thank you.

Those Zanmais look really nice . It's a shame they only go up to 18cm. Ideally I was looking for looking for something 210ish+ with good edge retention and stainless .

I'm considering trying a carbon cleaver. I was wondering though, isn't it alot less practical? Having to wipe between ingredients, not being able to walk away from the prep etc...

Are there any advantages to going carbon? Or am I making the disadvantages to be a bigger deal than they are?

I'm considering trying a carbon cleaver. I was wondering though, isn't it alot less practical? Having to wipe between ingredients, not being able to walk away from the prep etc...

Are there any advantages to going carbon? Or am I making the disadvantages to be a bigger deal than they are?
Advantages include BLUE

1689797860478.png

PXL_20230719_201932345.jpg

Definitely try one. I have almost completely de-stainlessed my knife drawer (though of course not the decoy knife block). I just like the feel of carbon on the stones, when cutting, even when holding, if there's no coating in the way. There's a slight grippiness, and an extra bite to the cut. Stainless seems slippery and numb by comparison. Capable but uninvolving.

It's all pretty subtle, but it makes a huge difference to me. Why not give it a try and see if it does for you, too?

Plus, yes, blue.

Thanks much appreciated. I'll probably grab a cck 1301 or 1303 to give the carbon a go.

I'm also looking for some cleavers with better edge retention. I do appreciate the softer steel when I chop, but my current CCK stainless just doesn't feel like it holds an edge too long. I'd love something in SG2. That Zanmai one is really sexy and I'm really tempted to get it. Really wish it was just a little longer tho

Thanks much appreciated. I'll probably grab a cck 1301 or 1303 to give the carbon a go.

I'm also looking for some cleavers with better edge retention. I do appreciate the softer steel when I chop, but my current CCK stainless just doesn't feel like it holds an edge too long. I'd love something in SG2. That Zanmai one is really sexy and I'm really tempted to get it. Really wish it was just a little longer tho
Hit up @MSicardCutlery for a magnacut. Mine is crazy resistant to any sort of abrasion.

PS. Rumor has it, he enjoys polishing magnacut a lot. Maybe ask him for a full kasumi large cleaver, and worry about the cost later.

I also wanted to ask what are people's preferred length/height? At what measurement do you find it too long or tall?

Back