Been a while since we had a Cleaver chat.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can do it after, just clean up the oil a bit with some alcohol. You dont need to fill the ferrule, just plug the gap.

Bee wax also works well if you decide to change handle later.

Yeah I'll probably start with bees wax. Just got a new bar. I usually silicone the ends of my wa handled knives but there's too many nooks and crannies here so something more fluid like melted wax or epoxy is likely the better answer.

https://www.wokshop.com/newstore/product/vegetable-cleaver/
Mama Chan's "nothing fancy-schmancy, all practical" cleaver arrived today.
:)
I bought one of these a few years back.
This is what I got:
wokshop.jpg

Sent an email - "hey, I bought a carbon steel cleaver, I think I got a stainless, how can we fix this?"
Got a response - it's a carbon steel cleaver, we know what we're doing, you're incorrect
...so I sent a picture of the cleaver in a bowl of water and asked what's up with it not rusting out
...and I was promptly told to eff myself.

This is what I got:
View attachment 227217
Sent an email - "hey, I bought a carbon steel cleaver, I think I got a stainless, how can we fix this?"
Got a response - it's a carbon steel cleaver, we know what we're doing, you're incorrect
...so I sent a picture of the cleaver in a bowl of water and asked what's up with it not rusting out
Technically it is a carbon steel. But it's a stain resistant carbon steel, as opposed to a non-stainless carbon steel. I recall having this same conversation with her in store a few years back.

This is what I got:
View attachment 227217

I have no trouble believing that exchange. That sounds exactly like how I would imagine that going.

Technically it is a carbon steel. But it's a stain resistant carbon steel, as opposed to a non-stainless carbon steel. I recall having this same conversation with her in store a few years back.

I immediately wondered if it was stainless as well and even came back to the website to double check what it says. It for sure isn't patina prone. I'm interested to see how it feels when I slap it on the stones.

Last edited:
Well, I modify my previous comment. I did some onion cutting with it earlier today and when I went back a little bit ago there was a nice bluish patina starting to form on the edge.

She's definitely carbon.
52705232146_27416aa72e_o.jpg

Slapped it on a coarse Crystolon and did some thinning. The very center of the knife was quite a bit fatter than either end. It's fairly even now but I didn't want to go too crazy right away.

The bent tip actually broke out so I just rounded it a bit. It'll be fine and sharpen out soon enough.

And as is my mantra, she's sharp off my lowest stone. A little rough but sharp all the same. Hands are aching a bit so I'll do more edge refinement in a while.

It's so much more fun for me to be able to go at a knife like this and not be all freaked out about aesthetics.

And fun I have been having. :)

Last edited:
I was on a virtual meeting giving a presentation, and my wife decided she could not wait 30mins and needed to mince up some chunks of meat right then and there. I damn near had a heart attack when I saw her unsheath my Takeda.

Had to temporarily pause and step away from the presentation so that no knives would be harmed.

Note: if this were a normal person, I wouldn't be as concerned. But my wife has previously stabbed a live crab with one of my gyutos, then panicked when the crab didn't die, and she couldn't remove the knife.

Last edited:
Got it. That is helpful, thank you.
Anyhow - the Wok Shop Carbon Steel Cleaver is, IMO, a dog. Low marks for in-hand feel and cutting ability. Made me write off cleavers for a year.

Got it. That is helpful, thank you.
Anyhow - the Wok Shop Carbon Steel Cleaver is, IMO, a dog. Low marks for in-hand feel and cutting ability. Made me write off cleavers for a year.

I mean, it's $16.

No doubt there's some variation at this price range so maybe you got one fairly different than mine but by no means would I describe my example as a dog.

What’s the ideal consensus cleaver dimensions? Something like 210x100? About to ask around at a couple of places and if a small group order is the best way to get something made I’ll see if anyone here wants in.

What’s the ideal consensus cleaver dimensions? Something like 210x100? About to ask around at a couple of places and if a small group order is the best way to get something made I’ll see if anyone here wants in.
I like 200- 220 x 95-110 mm, anything in this range are good, that said weight is an important thing. A 220 x 110mm at 300g would be too light.

I was on a virtual meeting giving a presentation, and my wife decided she could not wait 30mins and needed to mince up some chunks of meat right then and there. I damn near had a heart attack when I saw her unsheath my Takeda.

Had to temporarily pause and step away from the presentation so that no knives would be harmed.

Note: if this were a normal person, I wouldn't be as concerned. But my wife has previously stabbed a live crab with one of my gyutos, then panicked when the crab didn't die, and she couldn't remove the knife.
looks like you need to get her an axe!

Sounds like she needs a cleaver of her own. :)

Back