Belomo 20x loupe

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a Belomo 20x loupe based on the recommendations of this forum, but let me tell you - belarussian governement is not nice. Minsk is actually situated closer to Helsinki (where I live) to Finnish Lapland (where I drive to vacation every summer). I had no idea how bad these dudes were, but today 30 years after the fall of the Soviet Union they still have a freaking KGB (and a very large one at that).

Their website mentions that they send out all packages as "gifts" in order to avoid customs. Let's see if my optics arrive or not, they did only cost 25 EUR.

How did you take a loupe and made it into a political rant? O-o

That was not even close to a rant! I just had no idea exactly how bad terms they were on with the rest of the world, especially surprising when they are so close neighbors to me in Finland. I asked my wife and she also had no idea.

Received my 20x in the mail today and had a look at some blade edges with it. It is very difficult to keep steady and in exactly the correct position. I wish I had ordered the 10x instead and probably will go ahead and do it anyway.

Even the pros recommend the 10x as the one to use.

http://earthtoadornment.com/best-jewelers-loupe/

could have got the 12x or 15x as a compromise between magnification and usability?

could have got the 12x or 15x as a compromise between magnification and usability?

I guess so, but it seems that most people are happiest with the 10x so I am going to order one of those as well for quick use.

Don't get me wrong, the 20x is a superb instrument and well worth it's cost - I'm not going to get rid of it. You can even see metallic filaments standing off the edge of a blade with it. It's just not quick or easy to use - it takes time to get your eye just right, the loupe held at the correct angle + distance and the object being observed in just the right lighting so that there is no reflection or darkness, etc. And when you get all those stars aligned, then you need to keep all of them perfectly motionless or you lose the entire focus instantly.

In other words, don't try to use the 20x loupe if you've got a hangover ;)

I got into the microscope scene back when this thread started , only on one of the knife forums that doesn't exist anymore.
Clay Allison was a pretty chill person to chat to (this was before he had come out with the Wicked Edge) and he had a very nice USB microscope.
e1zYitg.jpg

The thing is, I find you need a really high level of magnification if you want to really look at the edge. Otherwise you are just looking at the polish of the bevels (which don't tell you anything about the edge).
For example - This edge in the following picture is absolute trash, but you really can't tell from the picture despite the magnification. There's a hair for reference.
HyLxK7d.jpg

Finger tests are far more instructive, and I don't think I learned anything at all from this (microscope) period. Other than maybe things about polish.

I got into the microscope scene back when this thread started ...
[edit]
The thing is, I find you need a really high level of magnification if you want to really look at the edge. Otherwise you are just looking at the polish of the bevels (which don't tell you anything about the edge).

For example - This edge in the following picture is absolute trash, but you really can't tell from the picture despite the magnification.

Can the converse be true? ie you an have a great edge even if it looks like a that a really crap bevel when looked at with that degree of magnification?

Absolutely! I could have deep scratch-marks going in all directions all over the bevel and it could still be better than the one pictured above (not Clay's picture, his magnification is high enough to show the edge in good detail).

x20 simply isn't enough to be of much use.

Last edited:
Back