Best budget knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atrain316

Reaction score
I see this question asked a lot on here about knives on what to get and tiers of knives and what is best. Well I think what would help is most people are looking for a work horse and well I think the best way to maybe help them would be to make a best value guide. I would take lead but I'm not even sure what a super great knife is and don't have one either but more of a research and get the best bang for my buck deal. So with that being said maybe best knife for value at 50, 100,150,200,250,300,350,400 and higher if you can think of any thing better because I've been research knives for a while and because of this place I have started to jump down the hole

I'll assume <=210mm

and I'll take it up to $150 after that all bets are off :)

For new knives:

<$15 Kom Kom, Penguin, Tramontina (from Costco), carbon chinese cleaver from your local chinese market
<40 Victorinox, Wusthoff Pro
<70 Tojiro DP
< 100 Masahiro MV for stainless, Masahiro Virgin Carbon for Carbon
< 125 Gesshin Stainless, Carbonext (but only if you know how to sharpen)
<150 Tojiro Powdered steel F-520

70-100$ range I like Fujiwara and Tojiro. I have Fujiwara FKM and FKH as well as Tojiro DP and Shirogami knives that I like in that price range.

In the 100-125$ range I like Minamoto knives. I have the Blue #2 Nashiji and 19c27 blades and like them quite well.

The above knives are all thin but none are lasers, if that matters to you.

In the $200 range I really love my Gesshin Ginga.

Victorinox and Ikea ceramic steel. Add a stone and you are set for years..

..no fun of course, but very workable.

Lars

Well I let the old lady use them and already has a Vic but I'm always trying to upgrade but she really only uses a workhorse knife and uses the vic a lot but uses other knives as well

Back