Best Chef Knife for around $300-$350

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Idk about getting another knife with the $70 or so I save after tax,....but some sort of moderately high quality whetstone, perhaps.

Can't wait to hear your update, and he has lots of Japanese waterstones.

Another plus plus for Jon.

W/O offense here TheAndre, at this point in your knife venture; you simply cannot truly appreciate your locale this resource...

Heading out in a few, takes me about 45min to get down there and I gotta pick up beer first anyway (hiking up in Malibu!)....

I'll post my findings tonight when I get home, and...hopefully they'll include a picture of my possible new yanigaba and the sushi I tried it out on.

TO VENICE!

I should head to JKI one of these days. What bus do I grab from LAX? The Montana/Lincoln? I'll probably have eight or nine hours to kill at LAX on my way to Brisbane in a couple of weeks.

Have fun, TheAndre!

so.. had a nice long chat with Jon, bought a starter yanigaba and a whetstone, I'll post more details later, didn't get a chance to get fish tonight, hiking took too long!
Pictures to follow later, I suppose.
I got this one, btw.:
http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...iba/gesshin-uraku-300mm-white-2-yanagiba.html

Congratulations, that is a beautiful knife, hope you enjoy! Let us know your impressions once you've had a chance to use it. Smart move buying a whetstone while you were there!

Very nice, congrats.
I thought the size upgrade might happen, wise choice. 300 is a good place to be.
You are well on your way now!

got up pat 6am, groggily drove down to the restaurant supply sushi / fish market on Skid Row (Pacific Fresh Fish, Co.... if you're in LA check it out).

Grabbed 2lbs of fresh Ahi, they cut a thick 'steak' off of a 4' piece...came home and made a quick sashimi salad for breakfast.

All I can say about the knife right now:

Holy. Crap.

Good call on the length. I recently got a 330 as my first Yanagiba which I feared might be a bit unwieldy. Doesn't seem rediculous at all when only using it to slice. It was hard at first to learn to relax my wrist and just let the weight of the knife do the cutting.

Yanagibas are way too much fun for cutting meat. My wife finally got fed up the other night and requested a whole steak for dinner...

Congrats on the purchase!

Oh and btw, Jons single bevel sharpening videos are fantastic!

he mentioned those videos,.... what's his youtube channel?

Definitely going to need to watch them as my knife sharpening skills are, well,....saying amateur might be giving me too much credit.

Congrats, I wish I was a little more patient and found sought out this place before my "Shun" phase. They aren't bad knives, and I still use my 7'' Asian cooks knife, but yeah the money could been better spent.

So glad you didn't get a Shun. I gave almost all of mine away. You got a REAL knife instead.

426248_10100266034042569_1672745276_n.jpg

Hope this image share works? Woo sushi!

Loving the honey horn/blond horn ferrule!!

Looks like I need to start eating more sushi so I can have an excuse to buy a nice yanagiba.

it takes some getting used to,... I haven't used one since I was like 14-15.

I was playing with the "Katsuramuki" technique last night and got about 1/2 of my little Persian cucumber into a paper-thin strip, was extremely pleased with myself...and made it into eyebrows / helmet for my dog...but anyway...

Going to take ALOT more practice to do that better / quicker / more efficiently though....

Really nice looking knife ya got there, sport!

Latest posts

Back