best knife profile for pull cutting

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goorackerelite

Reaction score
Hey I'm realizing that I like utilizing pull cutting the best and was wondering if you guys know of a knife profile or style that is best for this style of cutting?
thanks y'all

I prefer to pull and push cut and I like a flatter profile and a longer blade. The K-tip gyuto's tend to have a flatter, less rocker profile. Sujihikis work really well for me in this scenario. I agree with the others that for the pull cuts, a lower heel height is a good choice generally. It is not really an action for a cramped space.

I find that the geometry near the tip is important when doing a lot of pull cutting. I tend to pull cut more often when using a Mizuno gyuto which has very little distal taper.

With a lot of distal taper you often end up with a very thin tip with effectively a flat grind; great for detail work but not my preference for a lot of pull cuts on vegetables.

I find that the geometry near the tip is important when doing a lot of pull cutting. I tend to pull cut more often when using a Mizuno gyuto which has very little distal taper.

With a lot of distal taper you often end up with a very thin tip with effectively a flat grind; great for detail work but not my preference for a lot of pull cuts on vegetables.
Ahhha yes I noticed that in my search for a knife with great distal taper. What I gain in geometry (axe like splitting) I lose in pull cuts.

Short at the heel sabatier and KS type profiles are my favorite.
This. Narrow heel gyuto for sure.
Ikeda suminigashi profile, shigehiro profile are winners along w various KS iterations.
At some point I also realized there’s lots of situations when I’m mainly doing pullcuts. That’s when I started to drift away from taller knives.

Back