Best Knife Profile

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And, to all the Masamoto people...even though I hardly use and sold most of my gyutos, the KS would be my choice if ever got the itch.

It has been on my short list for a long time now, but I never got around to getting one...I've probably been on the JCK page for it about a thousand times in the year or so, yet here I sit without one still.

I was in the same boat regarding the Masamoto, long admiring but never buying, but since picking one up a few months ago, I have hardly touched my Konosuke. In fact I've deliberately forced myself to take it out and use it. I have to say the Masamoto's profile is flawless, and the grind helps it cut thinner than it is.

I think a double-bevel kiritsuke might have the best profile for my cutting style too... And if you want to get specific, here's what I think the ideal geometry looks like (going to place a custom order once I decide on the knife maker :D ) :

kiritsuke.jpg

That profile is very similar to the Konosuke HD Kiritsuke/gyoto I custom ordered from Jon a few months ago. It has to be one of my favorite profiles and all around knives I have.

Interesting. Not one person mentioned the Devin Thomas ITK, yet there's gotta be a bunch of them out there, and they were (are) in such high demand.

Personally, I like my Carter Funayuki 6.5 sun for a smaller blade and (gasp) a Moritaka 270 gyuto for the bigger blade; even with the overgrind. :O

That profile is very similar to the Konosuke HD Kiritsuke/gyoto I custom ordered from Jon a few months ago. It has to be one of my favorite profiles and all around knives I have.

There's a good reason for that... I started with photos of the KonoHD Kiritsuke from JKI and modified it to fit the basic 210mm dimensions of my Misono gyuto.

Interesting. Not one person mentioned the Devin Thomas ITK, yet there's gotta be a bunch of them out there, and they were (are) in such high demand.

Personally, I like my Carter Funayuki 6.5 sun for a smaller blade and (gasp) a Moritaka 270 gyuto for the bigger blade; even with the overgrind. :O

+1 on the 270mm Moritaka

DT ITK is the best stainless I got. DT ITK petty did not impress me:( still devin is at top 3 blademakers out there. Shigefusa is the best profile and geometry, but he and his sons got stuck i the ironage. Eyebolling ht is like mastrubating with sandpaper, it will never be good.

4 makers Are great:
Devin, bob, Bill and carter.
4 makers might become great:
Pierre, michael, marko and dave.

Interesting. Not one person mentioned the Devin Thomas ITK

I like using my ITK 240 and I love the steel, but I like taller profiles in general. Love love love my ITK cleaver, but the discussion here is gyutos + sujis :

DT ITK is the best stainless I got. DT ITK petty did not impress me:( still devin is at top 3 blademakers out there. Shigefusa is the best profile and geometry, but he and his sons got stuck i the ironage. Eyebolling ht is like mastrubating with sandpaper, it will never be good.

4 makers Are great:
Devin, bob, Bill and carter.
4 makers might become great:
Pierre, michael, marko and dave.

I don't think anyone has ever complained about the heat treat on a Shigefusa. They found one carbon steel they love and they make it really well. Does not mean they are stuck in the iron age. Carter and Bill Burke also heat treat by eye I believe.

This thread isn't about what custom makers are great or might be great. This thread is about edge profile.

Getting back on topic a little bit...

We need to make a distinction between geometry and profile here. I love my Mizuno geometry, and the profile is very good, though I think I might like the Masamoto KS profile a little better. The profile of the Shig reminds me a lot of my Mizuno. Long, long flat from the heel, but then a gradual curve to the tip. It makes for interesting cutting technique, as you can't really easily push cut near the tip for delicate work. This curve allows the knife (which is narrow, by a lot of gyuto standards) to function as a slicer readily enough, and it allows for some board work with the tip, but you have to use a bit more of a rock to your push cut, which some people might prefer anyway. Not a lot of rock, just a little wrist twitch as you are going down and forward to make sure you don't make accordion food. The flat near the heel is perfect though. And the convex geometry is killer.

I like the flat area near the tip (what Salty calls the sweet spot) on the KS, and would love to try one out some day and see how it compared to the Mizuno. I'd say if you are a gyuto person who likes to use the tip for a majority of board work, then the KS is a perfect knife. If you like to use the gyuto as more of an all rounder, both for slicing and chopping, and you do your chopping more towards the back half of the knife, the Shig/Mizuno profile can't be beat.

Here's a short vid of my Mizuno 270. Note how long the flat at the heel is in relation to the board at the beginning of the video.

[video=youtube;GwK4Nsp2pUM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwK4Nsp2pUM[/video]

Getting back on topic a little bit...

We need to make a distinction between geometry and profile here. I love my Mizuno geometry, and the profile is very good, though I think I might like the Masamoto KS profile a little better. The profile of the Shig reminds me a lot of my Mizuno. Long, long flat from the heel, but then a gradual curve to the tip. It makes for interesting cutting technique, as you can't really easily push cut near the tip for delicate work. This curve allows the knife (which is narrow, by a lot of gyuto standards) to function as a slicer readily enough, and it allows for some board work with the tip, but you have to use a bit more of a rock to your push cut, which some people might prefer anyway. Not a lot of rock, just a little wrist twitch as you are going down and forward to make sure you don't make accordion food. The flat near the heel is perfect though. And the convex geometry is killer.

I like the flat area near the tip (what Salty calls the sweet spot) on the KS, and would love to try one out some day and see how it compared to the Mizuno. I'd say if you are a gyuto person who likes to use the tip for a majority of board work, then the KS is a perfect knife. If you like to use the gyuto as more of an all rounder, both for slicing and chopping, and you do your chopping more towards the back half of the knife, the Shig/Mizuno profile can't be beat.

Here's a short vid of my Mizuno 270. Note how long the flat at the heel is in relation to the board at the beginning of the video.

[video=youtube;GwK4Nsp2pUM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwK4Nsp2pUM[/video]

Actually, profile of Mizuno is almost identical to Shigefusa, but Shigefusa is longer than Mizuno (240mm measures 255-260mm).
I think Masamoto has one distinctive profile that is not widely replicated (working on it).

M

M

Actually, profile of Mizuno is almost identical to Shigefusa, but Shigefusa is longer.
I think Masamoto has one distinctive profile, but many other can fall into the category of Shigefusa-like profile.

M

yeah, my 240 Shig is nearly as long as my 270 Miz. the geometry of the blades are different through.

Actually, profile of Mizuno is almost identical to Shigefusa, but Shigefusa is longer than Mizuno (240mm measures 255-260mm).
I think Masamoto has one distinctive profile that is not widely replicated (working on it).

M

Don't you mean that Sab Nogets haven't been properly replicated, other than by Masamoto? :D

Yeah, Marko, my Miz 270 measures about 263 from heel to tip. Everyone I've ever heard who has used a KS says they run long. In fact I think most of the knives in the KS series run long.

Back