Better options than a Zwillings Pro to go along side / supplant a Tojiro DP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kibblemix

Reaction score
Firstly, thanks to mhlee for putting together the knife questionnaire - it really helped rationalise / layout my requirements.

As it stands, last week doing a little research into buying a chef knife as a gift for my girlfriend, I identified (rightly or wrongly) that the current knife I myself use for 95% of kitchen chores, an aging Tojiro DP, was possibly being a little mistreated by me. Crucially, some of the stuff I read suggested that such knives (not the Tojiro DP specifically) were possibly a little too fragile for tasks like: smashing garlic gloves with the side of the knife, chopping nuts, processing hard skinned veg (like squash) or processing poultry bones.

The Tojiro DP has survived reasonably well but if it was indeed the case - that the knife is fragile - I went off in search of a knife more suitable for those tasks. A few YouTube videos later and it seemed that a better option for such activities would be a German knife, over a Japanese style blade that would possibly be more robust at the expense of edge retention. A few more YouTube videos later and I identified a Zwilling Pro Classic Chef knife (20cm / 8 inches) as meeting my requirements, picking it up for £75 GBP (around $90 USD).

Whilst researching the reason for a bolster versus no bolster I ended up on this forum, and here saw a lot of folk suggesting that German knives were sort of past it and there were better options for the same money with better steel that would out perform German knives. When considering the Zwillings I'd deliberately opted for a softer steel (57 RC) and a slightly shallower edge, for reasons of durability and ease of sharpening, I post here however for a sanity check as I don't really know enough about what's out there and what may meet my needs better than the Zwillings. I've used the questionnaire to try and spell out why I chose the Zwillings so as to hopefully give folk a guide as to what I'm after. I'd appreciate any corrections on any incorrect assumptions that lead me to the Zwilling (e.g. is the softer steel going to be good for poultry bones etc, is there a hard Japanese knife that would be better) and likewise any alternatives. Reading around it seemed like the Global G2 was sort of halfway between and under £100 (£99 / $123 USD) but checking here it didn't seem so popular.

It's worth mentioning that I ordered the Zwillings already but it is a week off arriving and I have 30 days to return it after then. In that time and before I use it I'd like to drum out of there is a better option for me. My thought at the moment is that I would like the Zwilling (or alternative) to be my user for 90% of tasks, possibly reaching for the Tojiro for more slicey tasks.

Thanks!

------

KNIFE TYPE
- Chefs knife
- Right handed
- Western handle
- 200mm / 20cm / 8 inches
- Stainless preferred, yes.
- Max budget: The Zwillings Pro was £75 / $90 USD and ideally what I'd prefer to be closer to (see sharpening reasons below). I could stretch to around £125 GBP ~ $165 USD max, if there's something that's much better but ideally the first bracket.

KNIFE USE
At home. We batch cook, and process a heck of a lot of vegetables, seeds and nuts. I generally like one knife that I can use for the majority of these tasks, without switching back and forth to my parer.

Primary use is slicing and chopping veg, occasionally chopping up nuts and seeds, mincing herbs and garlic (I crush the garlic with the side of the knife, which I understand is a no no with my current knife), trimming meat, filleting fish. With reasonable frequency I prep harder veg like a squash. Additionally, I'm looking for something that I could possibly use for poultry bones too as this is something I'd like to learn / practise and I believe my current knife isn't suitable for this.

What is it replacing: It is replacing, or rather supplementing a Tojiro DP that has been my go to large knife but it's only now really I'm doing more than cutting up veg and meat and wish to have something I can use to process poultry.

Grip: Pinch grip for 95% of the time.

Cutting motions: Push cut, rock and chopping.

Improvements required:
Primarily, I've landed here asking this question after reading a little that the Tojiro DP Gyuto, that I've been using for a while ,is possibly more fragile than I thought and should probably not be used on harder skinned veg (like squash), should likely not be used to smash garlic (with the side of the knife as it might break) and probably not be used to crank up nuts and harder seeds. Furthermore, I want to start breaking down poultry and, from the little reading, I did it seemed like this might not be the best idea with the Tojiro DP Gyuto.

I'm happy with most aspects of the Tojiro to be honest in terms of balance, grip style, weight etc but I had wondered about possibly trying something heavier. With that in mind, I landed with the Zwelling Pro 20cm Classic Chef. If I list my rationale, hopefully this will make it easier to provide an alternative of correct my misunderstanding.

Hardness 57 Rockwell: Softer, so would be easier to deal with using a sharpening steel, which is what I use at home most of the time or on the current sharpening system I use (Spyderco Sharpmaker).

Angle: 15 / 30 degree edge: I thought this was a little steeper than my Victorinox Fibrox but not as steep as the Tojiro so should be more robust. Also would be easy to sharpen on the 30 degree angle of the sharp maker.

Steel if I'm honest, I didn't consider steel above the heat treat and angle. Stainless is preferred

Aesthetics: not really bothered here. Something above Victorinox Fibrox. I like the classic western look of the Tojiro and the Zwilling Pro chef but I also do have a soft spot for the Global G2.

Ergonomics: I like the transition from blade to bolster on the Tojiro and thought the Zwilling Pro looked similarly comfortable for pinch gripping. I have a cheap knife from Robert Welch (which I think is another German knife) and this looks similar to the Zwilling bolster and works well. If it makes a difference I have quite small hands but I fend I'm generally not gripping the handle of the knife.

Comfort: It would be fair to say that the Tojiro feels like an extension of my hand / arm in terms of balance and weight. I chose the Zwilling to see whether a heavier knife might suit me better and add 'heft' in chopping. I've no idea if that works in practise though. A rounded spine would be nice but is by no means essential.

Ease of use: easier to sharpen would be a plus here. I'm still a bit of a bit of a newbie in this regard so something that is less taxing would be appreciated. Again, part of the reason I opted for the Zwilling Pro is that my impression was that a RC of 57 would make it easy to steel the knife to a reasonable edge and that my ceramic rods (in the Spyderco kit) would work reasonably well. Ease of use, the shape of the Tojiro and the shape of the Zwilling Pro is probably what I'd like to stick with as they handle most of what I do without having to switch knives.

Edge retention: In choosing a Zwilling knife with an RC of 57, I believe I opted to have less edge retention. Given I don't mind steeling my knife before or halfway through a cooking session, edge retention didn't seem a primary concern as much as durability and ease or resharpening. My Tojiro seems good enough, given how in frequently I sharpen my knives but again I'd like a little more durability here.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE

Cutting board:
plastic and wood (bamboo)

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no. Yes, poorly at present. I have a steel, that is used to touch up my knives, a Spyderco Sharpmaker (ceramic rods) that I use when they need a little more. I have a set of cheapish whetstones that I mostly use for my pocket knives but I've never really been that good at sharpening, so I mostly stick to the steel and sharpmaker.

I am keen to learn to use my whetstones properly, which is the main reason I'm setting a relatively low price for the knife as I'd rather not destroy it learning to sharpen it on my budget stones. Again, this is a reason the Zwelling Pro was selected as it comes in at around £75 (around 90 USD) so it's not a deal breaker if I ugly it up a bit and the relatively soft steel hopefully made it easy to see progress.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) At this stage I would ideally like to stick with what I have (the steel, spyderco ceramic rods and my budget whetstones) but I would like to purchase a good starter set of whetstones in the future.

Last edited:
Japanese knives are not used for other than cutting/slicing, so smashing garlic with the side of the blade for example is not really taken into account. For your chicken bones, there are dedicated honesuki, garasuki knives, as well as double beveled western debas. But none of these will give you the all-around utility of a European (German/French) knife. If it were me, I would stick with the Zwilling.

This might be too much of a curveball, but how about a thin carbonsteel cleaver, cck13... Is it 02?

It does the jobs you want it for so well (except poultry) and I believe it would help you get better at sharpening (upside of carbon steel, lovely to sharpen) Just get into the habit of wiping it after use, and if it rusts a bit it's not the end of the world either, easy to remove. Cheap good knife... Toss the bamboo board (have ~sand in them)

Japanese knives are not used for other than cutting/slicing, so smashing garlic with the side of the blade for example is not really taken into account. For your chicken bones, there are dedicated honesuki, garasuki knives, as well as double beveled western debas. But none of these will give you the all-around utility of a European (German/French) knife. If it were me, I would stick with the Zwilling.

[
QUOTE="M1k3, post: 697811, member: 36871"]

[/QUOTE]
Smashing garlic is a western cooking technique. Japanese knives are not made for it. Can it be done? Yes, of course. You "can" do anything with any knife. No chef trained in Wa-shoku smashes garlic for the simple reason that appearance is high prority. In Japanese cooking garlic is sliced, chopped or grated.
The OP clearly wants an all purpose utily knife that is more robust than the typical Japanese gyuto/santoku.

Apart from my comments in Burgvogel..any good? which are relevant... I have the same knife, in Professional S guise with the bolster. It's a solid performer and can be abused - if you bought it, I'm sure you'd find it good to use. But I wonder if this is actually what you want? If the Tojiro is "an extension of your hand", the Zwilling will feel different. Your use cases:

- Smashing garlic. Has it hurt the Tojiro so far? If not, then is there an issue in practice? Why not use a pestle and mortar or grater instead anyway (both more efficient IMO!).
- Chopping nuts, etc. Again, is there an issue in practice? Are you chipping the edge regularly?
- Poultry. You can use a 8" chef for this, but you're better off with a smaller petty anyway. As someone else mentioned, a honesuki works great for this if so inclined (also can be used to fillet fish at a stretch).
- Hard skinned veg. Again, is there an issue in practice?

By all means keep the Zwilling, but there may be other options. E.g. get something cheaper, a cleaver mentioned above or a rosewood handled victorinox will come in at half the price (it's not as nice, granted, but very functional) and can be used specifically for those tasks. I'd also be inclined to go bigger with these knives too, e.g. a 10" (you'll appreciate it when you get a big squash or watermelon etc!). Freeing up budget to maybe: improve on the Tojiro and get a nicer main chef's knife; get a honesuki. The point about beater knives is that you get bang for buck with something you don't mind abusing for the tasks that demand it (the 10%), saving the best for the rest. Sounds like you've got it inverted (wanting to use the Zwilling 90% of the time, when you sound very comfortable with the Tojiro). All that said, the Zwilling is a good knife for what it is; I have no experience with Tojiro though I have had and still have other entry level Japanese knives that will be similar (e.g. Fujiwara FKM/FKH, Takayuki's of various flavours).

I presently use the exact Zwilling you purchased as a beater knife for many of the tasks you describe. It used to be my principle line knife. It is very reliable, can take a tremendous beating and emerge unscathed. The shape of the blade makes it well suited for rocking cuts and there is enough flat blade to accommodate most other cutting styles. Unlike many German knives, the bolster does not extend into a full finger guard which makes it much easier to sharpen. Additionally, the shape of the bolster promotes a very comfortable pinch grip. Up until I tried a properly sharpened J-knife with better edge geometry, I thought it was marvelous.

You might be less happy with it than I was however. Coming from the Tojiro, you will really notice the resistance coming from the thickness behind the blade. Especially doing any tip cutting. Also, it is very heavy, and balanced right at the point where the scales meet the bolster, much more "handle-heavy" than most J-knives I have handled.

Thanks for all the responses folks. It's really appreciated.

RDalman said:
This might be too much of a curveball, but how about a thin carbonsteel cleaver, cck13... Is it 02?

It does the jobs you want it for so well (except poultry) and I believe it would help you get better at sharpening (upside of carbon steel, lovely to sharpen) Just get into the habit of wiping it after use, and if it rusts a bit it's not the end of the world either, easy to remove. Cheap good knife...

I did ponder that but I find I just don't really get on with cleavers, for some reason. I've only used cheaper ones but I struggle a little - possibly as I'm again trying to use them to do more than they're intended for, rather than switching back to a petty or similar.

RDalman said:
Toss the bamboo board (have ~sand in them)
Bamboo boards have sand in them!? I realise this is a bit of a segue but which types of woods are preferred?

Your reasoning is pretty sound to me, get the Zwilling pro for the heavier tasks that you describe.

Cheers. The sanity check is appreciated.I'd not come across "honesuki, garasuki knives" and it's appearing that Japanese knives are more of a toolbox than I first understood.

Apart from my comments in Burgvogel..any good? which are relevant... I have the same knife, in Professional S guise with the bolster. It's a solid performer and can be abused - if you bought it, I'm sure you'd find it good to use. But I wonder if this is actually what you want?

I think it's becoming quite clear to me that I'm quite naive as to Japanese knives and really assumed I would likely stumble upon, for want of a better word, a western knife with better steel that supported a more acute angle giving a sharper knife that was just as durable - basically asking for the moon on a stick. As KenHash educated me to, above, it appears there are far more tools in a box than my 'one size brush paints everything ' approach

If the Tojiro is "an extension of your hand", the Zwilling will feel different.

This is an interesting one to me. You're right entirely; I really like how the Tojiro feels and as such initially thought of gyuto type knives or those inspired by them (maybe Global G2). However, one of the reasons for trying the Zwilling is I've never really used a german style knife that wasn't a £5 supermarket special. As such, I was wanting to see if having a bit more heft / weight to the knife would be a help or a hinderance. My suspicion is that if the cutting performance is lower, regardless of how it feels I'll prefer the gyuto.

Your use cases:
- Smashing garlic. Has it hurt the Tojiro so far? If not, then is there an issue in practice? Why not use a pestle and mortar or grater instead anyway (both more efficient IMO!).
- Chopping nuts, etc. Again, is there an issue in practice? Are you chipping the edge regularly?
- Hard skinned veg. Again, is there an issue in practice?

This is a tough one. The edge is a little 'ragged' but I think that's a combination of my sharpening and cutting practises. I guess, in honesty, my goal here was to try and use 'the right tool for the job'. At some point, intending to replace to Tojiro with a better knife I'd not want to be in the habit of using that for these tasks. At the same time, like you say, if the Tojiro has surprised what is the problem ....

I do have the tools for most of these things and use them at home. If I'm honest, it's probably laziness. Oart of it is that I'm often just cranking out a few things for a topping and don't want to dirty another item and part is that we often travel away, where I've only got the stuff I take with me (which is usually a parer and a chef).

Your use cases:
- Poultry. You can use a 8" chef for this, but you're better off with a smaller petty anyway. As someone else mentioned, a honesuki works great for this if so inclined (also can be used to fillet fish at a stretch).

Reading through very informed replies to this thread, I feel the Zwilling will meet my original needs and will give me a chance to try something new, however it does make me think that I really should supplement my kit - if that's the word - with a honesuki or similar.

By all means keep the Zwilling, but there may be other options. E.g. get something cheaper, a cleaver mentioned above or a rosewood handled victorinox will come in at half the price (it's not as nice, granted, but very functional) and can be used specifically for those tasks. I'd also be inclined to go bigger with these knives too, e.g. a 10" (you'll appreciate it when you get a big squash or watermelon etc!). Freeing up budget to maybe: improve on the Tojiro and get a nicer main chef's knife; get a honesuki. The point about beater knives is that you get bang for buck with something you don't mind abusing for the tasks that demand it (the 10%), saving the best for the rest. Sounds like you've got it inverted (wanting to use the Zwilling 90% of the time, when you sound very comfortable with the Tojiro). All that said, the Zwilling is a good knife for what it is; I have no experience with Tojiro though I have had and still have other entry level Japanese knives that will be similar (e.g. Fujiwara FKM/FKH, Takayuki's of various flavours).

You do raise a good point. I guess my thinking was having something in my hand that would do most things ok and thrive rather than having a beater that you reach for to do the rough jobs, once in a while - at the end of the day, it's no difference than me reaching for a parer for the fiddly bits. For that I suppose I already have a couple of Victorinox knives that I don't mind beating on - they are quite light though, which was again part of the reason I was wanting to try the Zwilling.

Re: the cleaver, I think they're a little outside my comfort zone but something small and sturdy seems like it's missing from my 'kit', so I'll have a look at honesuki.

birdsfan said:
I presently use the exact Zwilling you purchased as a beater knife for many of the tasks you describe. It used to be my principle line knife. It is very reliable, can take a tremendous beating and emerge unscathed. The shape of the blade makes it well suited for rocking cuts and there is enough flat blade to accommodate most other cutting styles. Unlike many German knives, the bolster does not extend into a full finger guard which makes it much easier to sharpen. Additionally, the shape of the bolster promotes a very comfortable pinch grip. Up until I tried a properly sharpened J-knife with better edge geometry, I thought it was marvelous.

You might be less happy with it than I was however. Coming from the Tojiro, you will really notice the resistance coming from the thickness behind the blade. Especially doing any tip cutting. Also, it is very heavy, and balanced right at the point where the scales meet the bolster, much more "handle-heavy" than most J-knives I have handled.

Thanks kindly. It sounds like it's worth at least getting hands on it to see what the balance and feel is like.

Taking a step back from it, I guess what I've been doing is really getting along with just one knife to do everything and trying to replace that knife with another 'do-it-all' knife. It seems that, as a few folk have suggested, it's possibly worth branching out a little and at least looking at a honesuki. I think I'd still want my main knife to be able to stand up to what the Tojiro has been put through the past few years but I guess if I want cutting performance I have to recognise that it comes with some compromises. In this regard I sort of feel I need to try the Zwilling to see how I get on with the weight / balance and style and see the difference in performance, whilst also maybe looking at supplementing my kit. My suspicion is that I won't really like the fact the Zwilling cuts less well than the Tojiro and that I'll want to go back to that / get another Japanese knife - and my girlfriend ends up with a Zwilling haha!

Remember with Japanese knives in general, they're usually a bit more specialized (race cars). Whereas western/German style knives are less specialized (reliable street cars).
Thanks. I think that's what is becoming very apparent and pretty much what I just mused to my girlfriend :D

Remember with Japanese knives in general, they're usually a bit more specialized (race cars). Whereas western/German style knives are less specialized (reliable street cars).

:Iagree:

Also ... beater knife is best used for 10% of jobs not 80 or 90% of jobs. Therefore, it doesn' need to be perfect for example in fit and finish and/or ergonomics.

Would really recommend something taller like 50mm+ for a beater and preferably at least 9 inches because all those hard rinds and whatever are easier to cut (straight) with longer, taller blades.

Would look seriously at victorinox/fibrox and similar knives. Good beater knife really dis-regards everything about Gyuto, it should be driven by utility not hype/luxury/looks etc.

My best beater knives have "flaws" as main knives that make them great beaters...:D

It seems that, as a few folk have suggested, it's possibly worth branching out a little and at least looking at a honesuki.
My suspicion is that I won't really like the fact the Zwilling cuts less well than the Tojiro and that I'll want to go back to that / get another Japanese knife - and my girlfriend ends up with a Zwilling haha!

Just to note, my other half really loves "the chicken knife", which has been a heavily used in our kitchen for 5+ years. When I bought it, it was the first time she really "got" the value of a specialized knife - she's now a whizz at portioning chicken/duck and boning out joints! And she also gets on very well with the Zwilling to boot.

Just to note, my other half really loves "the chicken knife", which has been a heavily used in our kitchen for 5+ years. When I bought it, it was the first time she really "got" the value of a specialized knife - she's now a whizz at portioning chicken/duck and boning out joints! And she also gets on very well with the Zwilling to boot.

Haha, that's good to know, thanks! :D I guess I should start searching the forum for budget / starter 'chicken knife' advice now.

Buy a not too hard SS Nakiri, sharpen it conservatively when you get there, use as is for now. See it as a small nimble cleaver that will take the beating if relatively soft SS as is, and will only get better at that when you'll sharpen accordingly. Zwilling has a nice one at that. Alternatively buy a 25$ hardware store chef knife for doing nuts, cutting poultry bones, etc. Mine hasn't chipped - goddamn it hasn't even twitched - doing that about 50 times...

I regularly smash garlic with my J-Knives - but don't power rock chop through it after. My trick with garlic is if you want a puree that loses half the juice then you have dedicated cheap tools for that. (With nuts however, unless for presentation, I like to smash them to get some of the oils out and intensify the flavor - put in a plastic bag and smash with the flat bottom of a cheap casserole lying around) If you want small garlic bits that will retain most of the flavor : cut the root - lightly smash to loosen up without smashing the clove itself - use the spine to give a couple taps at the tail and completely free of the peel - slice horizontally/vertically and mince. J-knives BTW excel at that.

It sounds like you want to replace your Tojiro DP because you are afraid you might break it, which would mean... you would have to replace it.

:confused:

I don't think your Tojiro is likely to break in half smashing garlic. It helps if you lay the blade on the garlic and then whack the blade with your fist, rather than just whacking the blade onto the garlic on the board.

I chop nuts and smash garlic regularly. I've got one stainless cleaver. It's pretty soft, so it is generally my go-to for nuts, but I'll also use my large carbon cleaver for that if I've already go it out. The carbon cleaver is much harder at around 62-63 Rockwell but I haven't noticed any chipping or micro-chipping chopping nuts with it. I use both knives for garlic with no concerns.

I don't cook chicken (I'm a vegetarian), but I think that's your sticking point. Anything that would be totally OK with chicken bones is going to be less than ideal for just about everything else you'd want to do.

I'd suggest returning the Zwilling and buying a combination water stone. Then really get to know your Tojiro. Learn to sharpen out the micro-chips; learn to get it wicked sharp. Eventually, you'll want to get a coarse stone and thin the Tojiro. For chicken, either switch to the petty knife you have (and isn't there a cross-contamination issue if you don't switch knives for chicken anyway?) and learn to attack the joints, or pick up a cheap Chinese cleaver if you'd like to just whack at it and go through bones. Your local Asian grocery might have a suitable #2 cleaver. I know wokshop.com in San Francisco can get a cleaver like that to someone in the US for under $20 shipped, but not sure what shipping would be to the UK. Even if you'don't bond with the cleaver, you're only using it a small portion of the time.

I do think the Zwilling could do all of the tasks you're contemplating, but it likely won't get quite as sharp nor stay as sharp as your Tojiro, so it would be sub-optimal for MOST of what you need to do.

Back