• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTS Big, soft aoto.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PalmRoyale

Reaction score
This a big block of aoto goodness that measures 224x67x66mm. If that's not enough, I don't know what it 😅 It's quite soft and thirsty, you need very little pressure and it turns into a regular mud bath if you use more pressure 😅 Keep it wet, use less pressure and it will do its thing. It finishes firmly in the 2k range and produces an edge with a ton of bite. As always, the sides and bottom have been sealed with varnish. In this case Epifanes high gloss marine grade varnish. The price is €270 or $300. Shipping within the EU with DHL is €18. International shipping with DHL is $46. It would make sense for a member in the EU to buy it. And now for some pics!

20200529_195716.jpg
20200529_195722.jpg
20200529_195729.jpg
20200529_200023.jpg
20200529_200040.jpg

Would you have any photos of the Aoto without the mud? Currently looking for a Kouzaki blue Aoto.

Would love to grab it, if only I were still in the EU...

oh my goodness I want this, buttttt international is so slow right now I can't imagine when I am actually going to get it. I am still patiently waiting on my last purchase which I am sure is going to be a beaut

oh my goodness I want this, buttttt international is so slow right now I can't imagine when I am actually going to get it. I am still patiently waiting on my last purchase which I am sure is going to be a beaut

A buddy on a facebook group bought 3 chisels in Japan that were shippid to him with DHL. They were sent last week on Monday and they're scheduled to be delivered this week. If it takes 2 weeks from Japan to the US with DHL I imagine it's the same with DHL from the Netherlands to the US.

I meant the bare stone, wet and dry, with no mud. Thanks!
Lol, I misread it 😅 I thought it read, why would you have photos without the mud. Funny how the mind works sometimes. Here's the dry stone. The crack is absolutely nothing to worry about. The stone survived shipment from Japan to the Netherlands without being sealed. I sealed it with a high quality marine grade varnish and that adds a lot of strength (and I'm packing it in loads of bubble wrap). The only way it's going to break is if you drop it.

20200601_082920.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a beauty, very clean to boot. Sadly it looks too similar to the red tanba Aoto I have - was looking to complement mine with a blue-ish one. GLWS!

Back