Block for oversized steak knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thirsty

Reaction score
I was out with the wife today, and we were next to the Lamson Goodnow factory in Shelburne Falls. We had been thinking of new steak knives, my wife held their oversized steakhouse style knife and really liked it, so we bought 8. Problem is, my Boos block steak knife block is 1.25" at the opening, but narrows further into the block, new knives do not fit.

I have been searching the webs pretty heavily, and cannot find a quality 8 knife block that will handle a 1.125" blade, really requiring a 1.25 opening.

Building a new house, and these will be hanging out on the new island, so I do want something of pretty high quality.

Suggestions??

Phone call or another visit to Lamson? Seems like if they're making a "set" of knives, they would have a block capable of holding them. If island has drawers you could go with a drawer rack. Should not have size constraints.

Interesting that Lamson is putting out new product. Was not sure that was going to happen for awhile.

The manager, or possibly owner(?), Cathy, said they were in chapter 11.

Not sure if this was new product or not, we bought 8 knives, not in a set, but individual.

There were no blocks on the site, and I didnt think to look while I was there, and they are an hour away. Perhaps a phone call tomorrow will be best.

I cannot find anything out there. Vermont Butcher block looks like they would make something, but this may wind up being FAR more than what I was thinking. I just want a nice, simple, block of wood with 8 slots.

Buy a needle file and customize one yourself.

Buy a needle file and customize one yourself.

I was actually going to do that with the Boos block, but there is not enough meat. I need another .25" in each direction, so. 5" total, that is all the room between.

Figure if I need to buy a new block, might as well get one that fits. However I may end up doing just this!

I was frustrated not finding anything. Then other business brought me to a strip mall that had a TJ maxx. They had nothing I could alter. However their was a woodcraft store right next door to it that I never knew was there. I went in and was looking for a file to modify whatever I may eventually find.

Turns out they sell chunks of beautiful wood for those who carve. They had olive wood, marble wood, I found a piece of bubinga wood that is beautful. I struck up a conversation with an employee, he is going to make the block for me at his home shop for very little money. All works out perfect, I will have a custom made piece exactly like I want for probably less money than anything I would be able to find and modify.

Very happy now.

Back