Budget Carbon Battle: Fuji FKH vs. Suisin High-Carbon?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Rakuten link is actually really great! That is definitely a price I can stomach for this. I'm assuming it's the Virgin Carbon? It says "Mouthpiece" on it which isn't overly clear for me though....

That said, another option I just thought about is waiting for the Korin sale and saving 15% on the Suisin as well making it an even better deal. Tough choice here.

Lobby: Can you comment on the Fit and Finish issues? Stuff like rivets not being flush or gaps in handle?

SS, do you own a left-handed gyuto? If not, I highly suggest trying one out to see what you're missing. If you don't like it, I'm petty sure you could re-sell without a real loss.
As to Rakuten, this is the current description of Masamoto KS on one site, "Original home office this haze-ball white steel Buffalo pattern gyuto." :biggrin:

I think the model number matches the masahiro left handed virgin carbon because that is how I searched but it would be good to check cause it ain't real practical to return stuff to Rakuten which is why i have been trying to unload a new 330MM left handed Masahiro MV for a while - I thought it was the right handed model

I actually have never tried a left handed gyuto. I have avoided things like traditional single bevel's made for a righty but aside from that I haven't taken any particular steps to adjust for being left handed, picking up a left handed gyuto would be a new experience for sure.

That makes sense about the model number, the description does appear to be just random jibberish that came out of some translation app or something like that.

GIC if that knife was closer to say 270mm I would consider it but man 330mm is just massive!

GIC if that knife was closer to say 270mm I would consider it but man 330mm is just massive!

The eternal question - where does kitchen knife ends and sword begins?

With 330 mm blade one degree at the wrist translates to 0.6 cm at the tip. Working with the tip will require extremely steady hands.

Jeeze! Do you have any pics comparing that blade to more normal sized gyutos? Im just curious how it actually looks in real life :)

I have a 270mm suisin carbon sujihiki from Korin. I really like it but I cannot compare it to the FKH. It is easy to force a patina on, easy to sharpen. The sujihiki actually has a sort of an acute kiritsuke like tip and is very pointy (for lack of a better word). I rehandled mine into a mini coke bottle-ish handle. The knife is terriffic for long slicing tasks. It has engraved kanji if that is important to you. I give it two thumbs up as a beginner carbon knife. :doublethumbsup:

Do you have any idea how tall at the heel this is knife is OOTB? I noticed Korin offers left handed sharpening, not sure if this service is for the edge only or if they actually change the blade geometry.

Handle on the 24cm Masahiro is on the big side, and around 52mm wide blade, if I remember correct. Handle on the 21cm is much smaller. On e-bay you can find Masahiro Japanese steel metal bolster 21cm, for 68.3usd, the 24cm for 85usd, free shipping both, and without metal bolster even cheaper. I dont know how they compare, but they have the same box. Anyways I always try to buy western handle metal bolster, it is my favourite

I checked these out, I actually prefer westerns without bolsters. But I didnt see any left handed versions offered. Anybody know where I could find some? I emailed Koki, fingers crossed.

The link from Rakuten is Masahiro, and left handed. It has this extra 'round symbol' that the right handed does not have. I will not tell you how to have fun, but if you are a home chef, and you use pinch grip, why not take a 21cm and hold it by the handle as it is meant to be? Professionally you may use a long knife, some moments pinch grip, some moments by the handle, in order not to change knives. I don't know how big are your hands, but there is a noticable difference in the handle between 21 and 24 cm at Masahiros

I noticed Korin offers left handed sharpening, not sure if this service is for the edge only or if they actually change the blade geometry.
It is the art of neutralizing the edge, by recentering it, and convexing the resulting left bevel by thinning a bit behind the edge. Technically I would say this changes geometry, yes, but without changing the fundamentals which are given with the grinding. Even if it were possible to flatten the entire right face, you can't add material to the left one to make it release food a bit better.

It is the art of neutralizing the edge, by recentering it, and convexing the resulting left bevel by thinning a bit behind the edge. Technically I would say this changes geometry, yes, but without changing the fundamentals which are given with the grinding. Even if it were possible to flatten the entire right face, you can't add material to the left one to make it release food a bit better.

Are you speaking from experience? Do you know that this is definitely what Korin does?

The link from Rakuten is Masahiro, and left handed. It has this extra 'round symbol' that the right handed does not have. I will not tell you how to have fun, but if you are a home chef, and you use pinch grip, why not take a 21cm and hold it by the handle as it is meant to be? Professionally you may use a long knife, some moments pinch grip, some moments by the handle, in order not to change knives. I don't know how big are your hands, but there is a noticable difference in the handle between 21 and 24 cm at Masahiros
Pardon me, but I can't figure whose post you're responding to here.

Are you speaking from experience? Do you know that this is definitely what Korin does?
That is what I see as the result of what resellers do in general when left-handed ask for an adapted edge. But even Korin cannot change a flat face into a convex one by adding material.

I should add that retailers are not particularly interested in special orders for lefties. The big premium may cause them to miss a deal. Better reassure the customer and offer half a solution.
And wedging and steering issues appear only after a year or so, after a few sharpenings by the home user. Long after the knife got sold.

Thanks for speaking in general. I'll contact Korin to find out more info. All I know at the moment is that they can't add steel to the blade.

Any word from Korin?

This is interesting, I just heard from Koki about the Masahiro Virgin Carbon and he stats that it's close to 70/30 like Misono, he actually said they are fairly similar in the asymmetry. This goes against what Knife Merchant said and what I have seen a couple other places online as well....

The Masahiro is quite the interesting knife haha

Also, a whole other issue is I'm having this twinge that maybe I should get a 270mm since it might be fun to try one out again now that I'm much more comfortable with knives/knife skills. Owned a 270mm very early on and found it too big but that was when I couldn't see myself using a 240mm and now a 240mm/250mm is my daily driver aside from my CCK 1303

Labor of Love: That sounds good to me! I'm leaning toward the Suisin myself but realistically might need to wait a bit to scrape up the money (like a week or two until next paycheck)

With the Suisin, it might be wise to wait a couple weeks until Korin's Summer Sale, think it's 15% off knives then

The Misono is very asymmetric, and, normally right-biased. So the edge is moved to the left, with a convexed right bevel, and a straight flat left face. The Misono left bevel -- not the face -- is convexed as well. Just by factory buffering. Not to be repeated. It's a poor edge.

Here's another suggestion, how about the suien VC line that Jon carries? They're a few bucks more but the steel is much harder and likely have improved F&F. You could probably PM Jon about asymmetry stuff.

Here's another suggestion, how about the suien VC line that Jon carries? They're a few bucks more but the steel is much harder and likely have improved F&F. You could probably PM Jon about asymmetry stuff.
With very thin blades the asymmetry stuff is much lesser relevant, I agree.

Alright so now the Suien VC is in the running for a couple reasons:
1. that it comes from Jon so you know it kicks ass
2. because the heel height (50+) is right up my alley for a 240mm

Didn't have this knife on my radar before because I just simply didn't know about it, doesn't get talked about much, the gyuto at least. The cleaver is well regarded but the gyuto is exactly throw around in conversation like the Fuji FKH is when people discuss carbon...

Back