Butcher knife Question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They look great but the handles. I don't get why all high end knives that I've look at are not legal in my industry or any restaurant

No worries. Butch also makes his own micarta. It's basically an epoxy/resin hardened with colored paracord or denim or whatever mixed in.

Here's some of Butch's micarta blocks.

dsc05749sm.jpg

I had to google it...

DSC09390sm.jpg

Those look nice.
wonder if that bullnose is 10 inches,
or shorter maybe?

7". I own it.

And i have no prob with health inspectors and wooden handles. But thats a state thing regulated by county. (And each inspector has his/her own rules)

Those that can, do. Those that can't, regulate.

D

I use a 210mm Munetoshi slicer that I rehandled with burnt chestnut as a big boning knife/short cimeter. It's a brilliant solution for me since I'm seaming one minute and portioning steaks the next in a totally inadequate space AND it's fun and it's a conversation piece if I'm cutting in front of customers. If you're willing to rehandle yourself with a non-wood or sealed wood alternative, it might work.

It's the one on the bottom: https://instagram.com/p/BTPhFKdll7A/

Might have to order this one for my trimming knife after a new handle http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/munetoshi-kurouchi-170mm-wa-butcher/

It would seem to me that as a professional butcher time is money. If you changed knives you would have to relearn various techniques, and change the way you manage the edge. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Now to the fun part. Get yourself a White #1 210-240 Gyuto for home use. It will do all the fun things Japanese knives do. Easily get crazy sharp, react with acidic foods and develop and change in color over time. And get the wood handle of your choice. Prices from $52-$1000+.

It would seem to me that as a professional butcher time is money. If you changed knives you would have to relearn various techniques, and change the way you manage the edge. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Now to the fun part. Get yourself a White #1 210-240 Gyuto for home use. It will do all the fun things Japanese knives do. Easily get crazy sharp, react with acidic foods and develop and change in color over time. And get the wood handle of your choice. Prices from $52-$1000+.

This why I'm sticking with the cimeter shape nicer steel would meen less sharpening and I can't spend this kind of money for a knife I would randomly use at home!!

I sent Mr Deveraux an email for some more info. Thanks

I don't know who Mr. Deveraux is. We were all talking about Lloyd "Butch" Harner. Different Butch I suppose.

I don't know who Mr. Deveraux is. We were all talking about Lloyd "Butch" Harner. Different Butch I suppose.

Yap must of been the wrong butch When I googled it I got butch deveraux costoms I did see what I was looking for why I emailed them http://www.deverauxknives.com I will look up Lloyd Harner. I'm new to the knife world.

What can I say. Murray Carter is building a cleaver that you can use for bones and meat supposedly a mean knife. I have a 2lb winco cleaver also have a Wustoff and a small Saji. I also use a machete and Kramer knives a lot. It depends on your taste and how you want to work. The Chinese and Koreans have very nice cleavers that get sharp and stay sharp easily. I have a Victorionox but prefer the Kramer and the Carter. It's your choice and you can buy and resell if you don't like it. There are some stores that have knives that you can test to see if you can handle the weight the grip the balance the commodity of using it for hours. Remember it's not the same to cut one tomato a day vs cutting 100 daily. Same as butchering meat from the whole cow or parts.

A story about that Carter/Kartmazov cleaver. Arnon made me a cleaver several years ago but I wasn't totally happy with it. I can't remember why now. He said he had an idea for a better one and that he would regrind mine to that concept. Which he did and it is one of the knives I use when I'm making stock that includes chopping bones. Good knife but I was kind of surprised when I saw that Carter/Kartmazov youtube vid. It is basically my knife.

If you truley desire a nicer version of a schimitar with japanese made carbon steel and a specific handle you will have to get one custom made. Any one who suggests otherwise does not have your best interest in mind.

Just a thought, not sure what kind of budget you have in mind for this blade but maybe you could go the custom route? Get a maker to make you a scimitar with a blade profile and shape you're used to but with a better steel than a run of the mill Victorinox, Forschner or Dexter?
+1

Sorry DaveB, I did not give you the proper credit for for posting the Harner. Maybe I will give that one coworker who I accused of stealing my idea some credit haha.

I would figure a schimitar by Harner would cost north of $500 but I may be wrong. Plus it would be a worthy cost.

I will have to have what want made and I will need to increase my budget to make this happen. In the mean time i will get a hold of some recomended makers. Might order a Munetoshi KUROUCHI 170mm wa buttcher for trimming
GKp4QNV.jpg

What about a rehandled vintage Foster Bros (or Goodell or F Dick or Lamsom or etc) breaking knife? Not hard, Japanese steel, but is that really appropriate for western style butchering anyways? I would recommend checking out UpbeatVintage on Instagram; they do work in this vein, as do others I assume

I will have to have what want made and I will need to increase my budget to make this happen. In the mean time i will get a hold of some recomended makers. Might order a Munetoshi KUROUCHI 170mm wa buttcher for trimming

That mune is a real killdozer for the money! If you want to try one out pm me... that steel would have to leave the room of course ;-)

Sorry DaveB, I did not give you the proper credit for for posting the Harner. Maybe I will give that one coworker who I accused of stealing my idea some credit haha.

I would figure a schimitar by Harner would cost north of $500 but I may be wrong. Plus it would be a worthy cost.

CD - You mixing your meds with the booze again? I didn't post the Harner, I'm almost embarrassed to admit I can't figure out how to post pics since Dropbox changed some of their stuff. I do own the Harner Bullnose though and like it a lot. Seem to recall it was in the 350 neighborhood. Of the Bullnose I've used, I like the Haburn the most, Butch a close 2nd, Forgie a distant 3rd and a Wustie Pro right behind the Forgie.

The Harner boning knife and plate pictured above I would gladly give your left nut for. :cool2: When I shopped for my last boning knife I liked Bloodroot, Harner and Marko for a purty one - had to settle for a Marko. Damn the bad luck.

But the OP is shopping for a Cimitar. I've not seen a Cimitar made by Butch but if he did so it would no doubt be very nice and yes, probably north of 500. I've a Marko that was north of 600, beautiful, but thin. It slays boneless meats but I would be skeered to use it in a true butchery role.

I should thank you guys for reminding me that sometime in late winter/early spring I bought a mint 10-inch carbon Foster Bro. cimitar off the bay. I put it up thinking I need to remember to sharpen this around deer season. Found it again this morning. It will require bit of thinning and resharpening to be ready for real work. Now if the deer cooperate!

DaveB Hahaha I will blame it on sleep deprivation do to my Netflix addiction. The KKF app is a double edge sword. I have grown use to not editing posts.

Back