Buying directly from Manaka Hamono Tanrenjo

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silylanjie

Reaction score
I would like to share my recent experience buying directly from Kisuke Manaka-san.

My brother always wanted a Kisuke Manaka Gyuto 210mm ATS-34 but it's always hard to find and always out of stock. So I messaged Manaka-san through Instagram and surprising he wrote back that he could make that knife for me. I think my brother prefers taller gyuto, so I requested for one and Manaka-san said he could make it as tall as 54mm for the 210mm gyuto... perfect!

I placed my order via PayPal invoice on Nov 9 and received the knife on Dec 6, little under a month. I asked him to gave a few quotes for shipping options and I choose DHL ¥4000 ($29 USD) that's one of the pricey options. Throughout the whole process he gave me updates very frequently via Instagram message. I also have opportunity to choose the handle the horn/ho wood, red pakka/rosewood, or something else I might want but I choose the standard red pakka/rosewood that he usually uses for the ATS-34 line.

Buying directly from Manaka Hamono wasn't much cheaper but at least I got my brother his Christmas present.

Knife: Kisuke Manaka Gyuto 210mm ATS-34
Price: ¥57000 (around $410 USD)
Edge Length: 223mm
Blade Height: 55mm
Spine Thickness: 4.1mm to 2.3mm (mid) to 1.5mm (1cm to the tip), distal taper

1.png2.png3.png

I have the 240mm ATS34 and it is my second tallest knife I have, after a Tinker Tank 🤪. That steel and the heat treatment is so good. Gets nasty sharp super easy and keeps that nasty edge for a long time. I had to get a Bunka after that...

You are such a nice brother!

I would like to share my recent experience buying directly from Kisuke Manaka-san.

My brother always wanted a Kisuke Manaka Gyuto 210mm ATS-34 but it's always hard to find and always out of stock. So I messaged Manaka-san through Instagram and surprising he wrote back that he could make that knife for me. I think my brother prefers taller gyuto, so I requested for one and Manaka-san said he could make it as tall as 54mm for the 210mm gyuto... perfect!

I placed my order via PayPal invoice on Nov 9 and received the knife on Dec 6, little under a month. I asked him to gave a few quotes for shipping options and I choose DHL ¥4000 ($29 USD) that's one of the pricey options. Throughout the whole process he gave me updates very frequently via Instagram message. I also have opportunity to choose the handle the horn/ho wood, red pakka/rosewood, or something else I might want but I choose the standard red pakka/rosewood that he usually uses for the ATS-34 line.

Buying directly from Manaka Hamono wasn't much cheaper but at least I got my brother his Christmas present.

Knife: Kisuke Manaka Gyuto 210mm ATS-34
Price: ¥57000 (around $410 USD)
Edge Length: 223mm
Blade Height: 55mm
Spine Thickness: 4.1mm to 2.3mm (mid) to 1.5mm (1cm to the tip), distal taper

View attachment 212749View attachment 212750View attachment 212751

I love my off the shelf Manaka.

Very kind! Good for you.

You're a great brother! Smart move ats-34, doesn't rust and keeps a great edge. Got the 240mm and, as soon I got used to the weight, started taking apart the whole kitchen.

Back