Can I permasoak Cerax stones?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ardaqlaq

Reaction score
Yesterday I posted a thread asking for splash and go stone recommendations. But today I learned that soaking stones have better feedback, feel, usually they are cheaper and some of them can be permasoaked. So I resear ched soaking stone and found out that gesshin stones get often recommended but they are out of my budget. So a cheaper alternative is suehiro stones. Iam planning to get the Cerax 1000 if I can permasoak it. Some sources say that it is okay to permasoak it but some say your stone can crack. I looked at the permasoaking chart and it doesn’t include cerax 1000.Can you share your experiences?

i think all the ceraxes and traditionals are real soakers and you should therefor be able to permasoak.
king hypers are soakers too. i dont permasoak any of my soakers though. too much of a hassle. soakers in general is too much of a hassle imo. ymmv.

An relatively inexpensive pair of soakers is the Bestor 1200 and Rika 5K. They're the cheapest I would recommend (and own). And they're pretty good. The Gesshin are more expensive for initial purchase but when that cost is applied across the life cycle the difference is noise. And they're very good.

The most significant takeaway from your previous thread is that it's the carpenter not the hammer. You can become proficient with any stones out there.

Mr. Broida is commendably modest about his wares. But, having recently received a full (I think) set of Gesshin soakers, I will offer this one word review, from someone who spent years with a King 1000 back in the day: Damn!

Ardaqlaq

Please don't choose stones based on the notion that soakers feel better than splash and go's. Some do, some don't, and its not that simple anyways.
For example. A particular stone can feel fantastic on one steel and terrible on another. In fact, a particular stone can feel great on one steel at 61 rockwell and horrible on the same steel at 64, and that's not taking into account that what feels awesome to me, may or may not feel awesome to you.

All of this is to say, if you want the convenience of splash and go's, don't shy away from them because you think they wont feel good.

It´s a interesting topic. Is it possible to add some additives to the water? Maybe chlorine ?

cerax ,though it is made by V , it is cement types that cannot be soaked in water for a long time.
On the other hand , Bester which is a real ceramic type that can be store in water in a longer time .

cerax ,though it is made by V , it is cement types that cannot be soaked in water for a long time.
On the other hand , Bester which is a real ceramic type that can be store in water in a longer time .
Can you send a link for Bester?

bleach works but isn’t great for the hands

bleach works but isn’t great for the hands

You can keep the concentration very low. You don't need much to make it highly resistant to contaminants, and it should be relatively gentle on skin. Restaurants use low concentration bleach water in dish rinse sinks (when there isn't a Hobart), and you eat off their plates.

they are vitrified ceramic (ergo the V) and they are totally fine in water forever. I've had some in water for years with no ill effects.

Back