Can one custom order a wooden salad bowl?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
She sent me this link today, expressing desire: A Salad Bowl With an Heirloom Price (Published 2019)
IMG_6389.jpeg

Anyone know how I might even begin to investigate the possibility of commissioning such a thing, for somewhat less than the $500 the New York Times thinks I should be prepared to pay? Or is that a proper price?

@OwlWoodworks 🙏

I have no releant experience in wood turning, but unless that wood is very special or it has a very special surface finish, I am having hard time understanding that price.

size matters, the larger the easier it'll split during turning (or drying) but 500 bucks is a 5th Av price IMO.

I have a few in maple from these guys, and looks like they have maple, walnut, cherry, and Ash: The Vermont Bowl Company, Wilmington Vermont, Div. of John McLeod Ltd.
Or, here's 17" from solid Beech:
https://www.vermontcountrystore.com...MIkY276Ivx_wIVnyWtBh3_kgy_EAQYBCABEgLNVfD_BwE
Very good, but if you want a smooth as glass finish, look elsewhere. Definitely more on the practical side. But they've been at it for a while.
Burl bowls are striking. Cherry or maple burl can be incredible (or boring)--so much depends on the wood and some luck, since the figure on the block won't be the figure in the bowl once much of the wood is removed. Ash is nice as well.
Since you're in Singapore, I'd wonder if differences in the humidity of where the bowl was made vs. Singapore would be a risk. Someone that really knows wood can chime in hopefully.

Thanks all for the opinions. The search goes on. The difficulty is that every wood I find seems to be endangered or threatened or neither, all at the same time. And it doesn’t help that the common name for a wood may encompass thousands of species with different statuses. Teak? Ironwood? The only safe thing seems to be bamboo :/

Last edited:
there is plenty of suitable wood that is not from an endangered species, just find a local wood seller other than for construction purposes, ask them for advice and if they know a local craftsman.

You could probably DIY it, turning a bowl is not rocket science ;-)

Visit a woodturning forum and see who makes to sell, looks a very simple shape to turn and not massive so would be within capacity of a lot of peoples kit

Back