Can't pick between a few gyutos

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsk

Reaction score
I've been researching 210mm gyutos for a bit too long now, and can't make a decision at this point. Narrowed it to the following three, would like to hear any comparisons. Bear in mind I'm a lefty, looking for my do-it-all middleweight as I'm currently gyuto-less.

1. JKI EN:
pros: most affordable option + saya, gives a bonus 5mm of length, light-middleweight,
cons: ??? not a ton of feedback on these yet, average height

2. Shinko Kurokumo R2:
pros: midpricer, very tall which appeals to me, heavier-middleweight, ridiculous upgrade over suminagashi considering the $ difference
cons: indifferent to damascus, neutral on ebony handles

3. Gengetsu:
pros: the absolute limit of my budget, burnt chestnut is sexy, that flat profile, light-middleweight
cons: average height, serious coin for someone who isn't doing a ridiculous amount of cooking

Each is a different steel, profile, with only a few overlapping characteristics, but I could see myself buying any of them. My smaller knives are both masashi (150mm gyuto at 40mm height and 180mm santoku at 51mm height) so tall profiles make me gravitate towards the kurokumo, but that's also the one I'm most lukewarm towards the aesthetics. The design choices in the Gengetsu have many similarities to masashi, so familiarity is a thing there. The spine recurve in the EN is so cool, and it has the most minimal look.

Jon gave me some feedback on the En and Gengetsu regarding the grind for lefties, and he said neither should lose practical performance for us. No clue about the Kurokumo but some choil shots I've found don't show a huge righty-bias (do correct me if I'm wrong)

I recently sold my Tanaka G, which was solid, but I didn't jive with nashiji aesthetically. The only part I really like 'rustic' is burnt chestnut handles. I'm not the type to buy multiples, which for me is redundancy. The only exception would be a laser, or a 240mm down the line, but I don't really need that length day to day.

Last edited:
Hi dsk - I can't speak to any of those knives. I see you are in Colorado though. Are you in the Denver area? If so I'd highly suggest a trip to Carbon Knife Company and talk to Craig. Great selection, and he's really knowledgeable. And you'll actually get to feel and handle the knives before making a decision.

I like taller knives too, but the height on the Gengetsu doesn't bother me. It just works. Hear you about the serious coin though.

Hi dsk - I can't speak to any of those knives. I see you are in Colorado though. Are you in the Denver area? If so I'd highly suggest a trip to Carbon Knife Company and talk to Craig. Great selection, and he's really knowledgeable. And you'll actually get to feel and handle the knives before making a decision.
yeah ive been there once when I wanted to hold a Ginga. I love their shop but they don't have what I'm particularly interested in right now.

From the 3 from your list, Gengetsu. Reach out to BST here with a WTB-thread, used or new, just ask. Had a 210 and sold it not too long ago. Preferred the 210 over the 240, even though I am a 240 guy...

Or simply order a brand new one at JKI. Jon and his staff are great, even online shopping is a pleasure!

Since two of the knives you consider are from JKI, I would suggest you give Jon a call. He is super nice and will explain you the differences and help you to make a choice.

I've got both the Gengetsu(s) and the EN. In my experience if you're new to the "good" kitchen knife world - saw that you had a Tanaka that I also have - but still getting your feet wet, I'll commit heresy here and suggest the EN over the Gengetsu. The Gengetsu is among my favorites I've ever used but at the price point the EN is an excellent value. Either will be solid performers for you, either will be more knife than you've ever used. The EN tip rivals any laser I've used, it's got plenty of ass to it for chopping carrots, celery and onion (etc)
and the whole profile will be easier to maintain sharp than the Gengetsu.

I've got both the Gengetsu(s) and the EN. In my experience if you're new to the "good" kitchen knife world - saw that you had a Tanaka that I also have - but still getting your feet wet, I'll commit heresy here and suggest the EN over the Gengetsu. The Gengetsu is among my favorites I've ever used but at the price point the EN is an excellent value. Either will be solid performers for you, either will be more knife than you've ever used. The EN tip rivals any laser I've used, it's got plenty of ass to it for chopping carrots, celery and onion (etc)
and the whole profile will be easier to maintain sharp than the Gengetsu.
Ah perfect, I was hoping there was someone who has used both. I did read in my searches gengetsu geometry requires decent skill to maintain. Do you own 210s or 240s?

240 and 270 Gengetsu, 240 EN, 240 Tanaka (and while the finish has grown on me it's not among the ones I reach for first)

240 and 270 Gengetsu, 240 EN, 240 Tanaka (and while the finish has grown on me it's not among the ones I reach for first)
cool thanks. that's kind of my feelings towards tanaka, it just never grew on me.

Kochi is much taller than gengetsu if that’s something that’s important to you. But you sound like nashiji finish is a turnoff for you too.

Kochi is much taller than gengetsu if that’s something that’s important to you. But you sound like nashiji finish is a turnoff for you too.
yeah i looked at kochi, assuming its AS and I prefer stainless or sss. I wish I had researched knives sooner, I feel like the Itinomonn would have been up my alley.

Look at the Kohetsu line of knives...very much a good value and every bit as sharp as the more expensive knives.

The lesser blue steel knives with stainless cladding are made well...no issues with the cladding. Good luck. Sometimes you can spend less. It's silly to think more money gets you a better knife when often times even premium labeled knives have construction issues.

Look at the Kohetsu line of knives...very much a good value and every bit as sharp as the more expensive knives.

The lesser blue steel knives with stainless cladding are made well...no issues with the cladding. Good luck. Sometimes you can spend less. It's silly to think more money gets you a better knife when often times even premium labeled knives have construction issues.

The finish on the sld was always cool to me, but I'm not super interested in those beefy boys. If anything, I'll pick up a laser down the line, either ginga or takamura red, after my middleweight is picked.

Do you have good stones?

Middle weight knife...that's subjective. All of the Japanese knife vendors on-line are overly embellishing the knives as being hand crafted when in fact they are mass produced in an industrial district of japan. They aren't any more or less of a knife than a drop forged lump of carbon stock steel.

If you want a fancy knife...with the romanticism of a single bladesmith then pay more...lot's more.

You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between a 100$ knife that was properly thinned and honed to a 300$ knife regardless of brand...Cheap rustic Japanese clad knives can perform every bit as a good.

Ebony handle...not good material. Don't bother with ebony unless you know it was stabilized right. Ebony wood does not like to go through humidity swings...you will be washing the knife...

Of course ebony is fine for a handle, but I'd rather have a species of wood less prone to split and crack. Ebony is hard and dense, but it cracks.

The lowest priced Kohetsu are the ones you should explore...It's not that they are the best knife in the world, but for the money and how nice they are out of the box in terms of sharpness...you'll cut a box of produce in no time...think of the lineup under 200$...even the lowely VG5...

Since two of the knives you consider are from JKI, I would suggest you give Jon a call. He is super nice and will explain you the differences and help you to make a choice.
+1

Jon is one of the few guys out there who doesn’t want to sell you what is best for him, but prefers to sell what is best for you. That’s why he gets so many recommendations!

+1

Jon is one of the few guys out there who doesn’t want to sell you what is best for him, but prefers to sell what is best for you. That’s why he gets so many recommendations!
yeah i've made two previous uraku purchases from jki, already emailed him regarding en and gengetsu, on top of all the other random emails ive sent him over the months. he is boss.

Back