Carbonext Gyuto 210mm / KC-5: Scratches out of the box?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peyta

Reaction score
Hi,

i bought a carbonext knife as a gift, since its affordable and often recommended on different boards. Im personaly using much cheaper knifes for myself, around 50 €, so i cant really compare.

Well, today my carbonext arrived and im a little bit dissapointed. There were some scratches on the blade, some that tiny that you nearly cant see them which probably result of the manufacturing process. Others were kinda steep and seemed more like an accident. Also, the knife handle looke kinda cheap and short before the transition from handle to blade, it looks scratchy and dull.

Now, i dont know if thats normal for japanese knifes...? Did i just got a bad piece or is it normal for japanese knifes in that price range? Or did i just look to closely? Compared to my much cheaper and probably less sharp knifes i bought from "Wuesthof" as mass product were spotless and super clean.

2cfxn9j.jpg

23majj4.jpg

Some of these scratches u only see by direct light (from a flashlight), others you see permanently.

Looking forward to hear from you. Not sure if i should just send it back or if theres a high risk that the next knife will look the same.

Looks like somebody cleaned it with a scotch brite. They do look superficial, but they should rally not be there IMO. I fear it may be considered acceptable in this price range.

No, I had quite a few knives from JCK. The scratches on the blade are bizarre, handle and bolster look quite normal to me at this price point. If you were to use it yourself I would say: much more scratches will occur in a few days of cooking, it's a tool, no piece of jewellery.
Ask Mr Iwahara from JCK, [email protected]

yeah, if it were for me no problem, i just feel a bit bad about it giving it as a birthday present. Problem is, birthday is tomorrow. Realy bad situation. Ill contact this guy and see what he can offer.

Looks a tad used, perhaps it was a return? I would follow Benuser's advice and ask Koki from JCK.

Maybe it was the extra sharpness version, someone may have done that inadvertently after sharpening it...? But it's not normal, no

Back