CCK 1103 ... do I need one?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WOK-a-holic

Reaction score
There's no turning back for me, I love Chinese cleavers (cai dao ).
SUIEN VC Cleaver is my daily driver . I'm very impressed with it's performance .The quality and strength of the steel is excellent . Using my 6000 grit Stone, it will take on an edge sharper than a new razor blade . Edge retention is amazing. The ONLY complaint I have is, the blade profile has too much "belly" or curvature. I have slightly re-profiled edge with sharpening stones to get a flatter profile. I've never used CCK 1103 but all the pictures I have seen looks like knife has very little arc to the blade. Am I missing out on a good thing ?. do I need one of these cleavers?

I've had a number of CCK carbon cleavers, but not the 1103. It like the Suien VC is a vegetable cleaver no shells or bones. The Suien has a little better quality steel, but the CCK's are capable blades with less rocker.

Noticed you are a farmer what do you grow?

Need...haha...none of us would be here if having one is based on need.
Chinese cleavers with a belly is a really strange thing to me...seems to be common with Japanese made ones.

Anyways...the steel isn't going to be as good as your SUIEN but CCKs are popular because of their geometry...I would get one if you can swing it. They're reasonably priced if you can get it direct from a restaurant supply store. The online site that doesn't get mentioned here is a little more expensive than what you really should pay.

They are cheap enough to buy and try. Note the hardness is about 58-59 and not likely to get as good sharpness as the Suin.

OK, "need" is relative. But yes, you need one. I also really liked the steel on the Suien VC cleaver I used to have, but never could get used to how much belly it had. I went from the CCK 1303 to Suien and then to an Ashi carbon (with a wokshop-sourced Ho Ching Kee Lee as a beater knife to use away from home), so I never tried an 1103. But flat is good.

I believe mine is an 1102...great knife, great profile, acceptable steel. FWIW, I really like the handle.

Back