CCK and Dexter Cleaver

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bromo33333

Reaction score
Examining my budget, I thought I would give a CCK carbon steel cleaver a try (wanted a stainless Japanese one, but I just can't justify it yet)

I already have a Dexter - and my main "issue" with the Dexter was the wedging it had. And while I will continue to experiment with it to see if I can thin and sharpen, the CCK came to day.

And I have to say the CCK is a real bada#$ - it's lighter, thinner, flatter and much much sharper. I will have to learn about maintaining the carbon steel, but this seemed to be a great vehicle to grow the skill since the price isn't high enough to create a financial crisis for me if I do something irreparable.

I did some practice slicing and chopping which was excellent. The real meal will be this weekend for it.

Examining my budget, I thought I would give a CCK carbon steel cleaver a try.

I already have a Dexter - and my main "issue" with the Dexter was the wedging it had. And while I will continue to experiment with it to see if I can thin and sharpen, the CCK came to day.

And I have to say the CCK is a real bada#$ - it's lighter, thinner, flatter and much much sharper. I will have to learn about maintaining the carbon steel, but this seemed to be a great vehicle to grow the skill since the price isn't high enough to create a financial crisis for me if I do something irreparable.

I did some practice slicing and chopping which was excellent. The real meal will be this weekend for it.

Congrats! And enjoy :) it's a much thinner knife, yes?

Congrats! And enjoy :) it's a much thinner knife, yes?

Yeah, much thinner and lighter. My wife thinks it looks cool. I do too. Seems to cut really well. I'm excited for the new knife.

We have a bunch of Asian recipes lined up, so this promises to be fun!

Yeah, much thinner and lighter. My wife thinks it looks cool. I do too. Seems to cut really well. I'm excited for the new knife.

We have a bunch of Asian recipes lined up, so this promises to be fun!

Which one did you get? I'm very tempted by 1103

I'll let you know after trying both! I picked the shorter one because of the typical cutting boards I use - but who knows!

I'll let you know after trying both! I picked the shorter one because of the typical cutting boards I use - but who knows!

When you put them side by side and send us the photo and model number for the Dexter fireworks will appear. Also, your use (veg, mineral, meat) and home or pro would get you >50 cogent responses. Congrats as well.

Here they are side by side. Dexter S5198 v. the CCK 1303

Dexter noticeably heavier and thicker, the CCK much nimbler. I suspect each has its own strengths. I'm aching to use it, but the last 3 days due to scheduling, appointments and tonight a dinner we're invited to, I won't get to use it until Sunday!

And yeah, that's a plastic cutting board. I'm working on replacing the boards with something easier on knives (wood, end grain) - but one thing at a time! :-D

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1491659024.212319.jpg

Thanks for the photo! Hopefully sooner than later on the board haha. You now certainly have knives with thin enough edges to stick into the boards

Thanks for the photo! Hopefully sooner than later on the board haha. You now certainly have knives with thin enough edges to stick into the boards

My wife dug up a cutting board (edge grain, but Boos) from our basement. Maple, decent shape. That should help some. We'll get end grain at some point, but this might do OK for now?

My wife dug up a cutting board (edge grain, but Boos) from our basement. Maple, decent shape. That should help some. We'll get end grain at some point, but this might do OK for now?

I'd imagine it's much better than the one in the photo.

End grain may be better but there is nothing wrong with edge grain

Drug the board up last night and used some mineral oil on it last night. Apparently we have a second duplicate down there still in plastic. Wow. (My wife bought it ages ago, put it down there during one of our moves, and realized we had them!)

Here's the redo picture, and the cutting board is ready to go! :)

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1491747234.557114.jpg

The CCK 1303 has chopped tons of food to go in the Woks. It is a capable light vegetable cleaver. Have fun.

Back