Change from 70/30 to 50/50 edge

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Several experienced people have given slightly waffle-y responses, not confident at all that their knives release food THAT much better than anything else. So it's a breath of fresh air to find someone who's so confident he doesn't even bother to think or try to answer. Show your personal video with potatoes, garlic, and cheese falling right off your knife; or think for just a moment about the situation. Thinking might do you good, you never know until you try.
Are you really so dense you don't realize you get a response like that because people tire of your baseless arguing? Tell us, please, on what plentitude of knives that you personally owned or used do you base your opinions?

There's nothing wrong with being new and still learning; after a few years I still consider myself in that place... and I try to keep that in mind.
But you seem to go out of your way to be disagreeable just for the sake of it, without any empirical basis.
People who try to help by sharing their experience have nothing to prove to you...

Last edited:
Asymmetry aids to food release? Very plausible when discussed from theory stand point. However, the size of the flat spot on the face of the blade and the blade’s face finish along with the hight of the knife are the major factors on how hard the food sticks.

Last edited:
Several experienced people have given slightly waffle-y responses, not confident at all that their knives release food THAT much better than anything else. So it's a breath of fresh air to find someone who's so confident he doesn't even bother to think or try to answer. Show your personal video with potatoes, garlic, and cheese falling right off your knife; or think for just a moment about the situation. Thinking might do you good, you never know until you try.
I was serious about you buying a bundle of $3 knives and enjoying them.
This would accomplish a few things:
(1) You could discuss your actual firsthand experience with kitchen knives
(2) You could talk about the tastes you're developing versus what attributes you want to see improved
(3) You could be assured that you weren't overpaying for performance attributes that you're not convinced exist
(4) You could also be assured you're getting your money's worth--or maybe even a good value
(5) You wouldn't have to worry about sharpening because you could replace them monthly
(6) Possibly, even, you might be dis-satisfied with the knives and want to think about why
(7) Or, you might be very satisfied with the performance, in which case, happy trails!

As to food release and potatoes, see what you think about the differences here:

For example,
0:00 – Mac Pro
4:50 – Carter
10:40 -- Kochi

Hey all.

I recently bought a Kiya no. 6 carbon gyuto. I can't say for sure, but I have a strong suspicion it's a rebranded Misono Swedish carbon.

Would there be any disadvantages getting it resharpened to a 50/50 edge instead of the factory 70/30 edge?

It would make it easier for me to maintain a 50/50 edge.

Have a nice day 😊
It'd be easier to sharpen for you.

Where it gets tricky is how much bias is in the grind. The greater the difference, the more steering that will occur. Try cutting a potato or something similar in density. Is the cut straight? Or cutting a crescent shape? Whichever way it's turning towards, you want to sharpen that side at a higher angle. Or the opposing side lower. Or a combination of both.

I was serious about you buying a bundle of $3 knives and enjoying them.
This would accomplish a few things:
(1) You could discuss your actual firsthand experience with kitchen knives
(2) You could talk about the tastes you're developing versus what attributes you want to see improved
(3) You could be assured that you weren't overpaying for performance attributes that you're not convinced exist
(4) You could also be assured you're getting your money's worth--or maybe even a good value
(5) You wouldn't have to worry about sharpening because you could replace them monthly
(6) Possibly, even, you might be dis-satisfied with the knives and want to think about why
(7) Or, you might be very satisfied with the performance, in which case, happy trails!

As to food release and potatoes, see what you think about the differences here:

For example,
0:00 – Mac Pro
4:50 – Carter
10:40 -- Kochi

Man, he really needs to thin that sab.

Just some figures to aim for: thickness above the bevel 0.2mm; at 5mm from there 0.5mm; at 10mm 1mm thickness. Nothing more than a rule of thumb, easy to remember.

Hi again.

I have read the whole tread and weighted the arguments. I think that for now I wanna keep it 70/30 and see if I can maintain that on a leather strop. Would be a shame to ruin a well functioning knife by forcing a 50/50 edge. Especially because I like the way it cut a lot the way it is 😊

Thanks for all your inputs.

Back