"Cheap" KS profile

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry guys...

JJ

Well....

Last night they broke into my place and stole some equipment. Computers, speakers, the cash machine... They also took the global, I guess they felt curious about the shinny knife. Also damage on doors and windows. The exchange rate here is pretty harsh and is not free for people to buy foreing currency.

So I guess no new knives for now :S

Sorry guys...

JJ

Just because you can't buy a knife now doesn't mean that the discussion needs to stop.

This isn't the first time this question has been asked, and it definitely isn't going to the last time.

Just because you can't buy a knife now doesn't mean that the discussion needs to stop.

This isn't the first time this question has been asked, and it definitely isn't going to the last time.

No I know. And actually I started the thread as an informative one. Is just that the answers are pointing to "just buy the KS". Of course thats the solution but not my question.

For instance: some knives Voldemort make appear to have a very similar profile. Thou the problems already documented in this forum doesn´t make those knives in affordable, just cheapo. Same goes to the Moritaka right? Konosukes are similars but as expensive as KS.

So, if such a praised profile, why not more affordable options? +1 to the Lefty project iniciative. Just think the potencial a affordable (not cheap) knife whit a KS profile could have.

JJ

Tracing a blade is only a small part in duplicating a particular blade's attributes. It's not exactly easy to get a blade to rock n roll the exact same as another even if it's cut to the exact same dimensions. It takes very subtle tweaking in grinding profiles to make a knife work just right on the cutting board. I think it's also the grind of the blade's geometry that makes these knives work so well. I think if the blade geometry was crappy no one would ever have talked about the profile.

IMO it's going to be easy to copy/trace a blade (copy the profile) and make a cheap KS clone that will fool the noobs but will the knife be as good or better than an original Masamoto KS built by the men who have been tweaking the design for decades? No

You either get the real deal or a copy - you make the choice.

So, if such a praised profile, why not more affordable options? +1 to the Lefty project iniciative. Just think the potencial a affordable (not cheap) knife whit a KS profile could have.
Actually I thing old Sabatier knives has the same profile. I've read somewhere that it was Masamoto who actually copied profile from Sabatier, but not sure if it's true or not. Whoever copied from whom, as you can see, some Sabs knives has very similar profile:

classic_cuisine20_z.jpg

Sabs are cheaper then KS. And there are so many different knives sold under all sorts of Sabatier brands these days… it's up to you to decide what you really want, a profile or a real good Japanese knife.

Exactly Dave,

That´s why I talk of afordable and "cheap" with ". Not a copy of a KS and of course no Voldemorts, just a knife with that profile and the good grind and blade geometry benefits. And OF COURSE not to fool noobs.

Before I had my now gone global I used a tramontina 10" for 8 years. It ended with a reground profile very KS ish because of soft steel and years of sharpening. Being honest: I never liked the Global (nor the Shun but that was a gift). not the profile, not the handle, not even the steel. I feel like it´s easy for me sharpening the tramontina (and thining it a lot, again for the years wear) and I ended up reaching it more than the Global mainly because of the shape. The thing is, tramontina doesn´t hold the edge at all... It would be nice having more options of knives with that shape, acceptable performance (grind, edge retention, etc) but not as expensive as a Masamoto.

And so I have to explain: here in my country you can´t buy foreign currency freely. It is very limited by the goubernmente. You can buy $ in the black market (that is the common trade..) but it costs 80 Bs(Venezuelan currency) for 1$. And the pay of a regular line cook is of about 5000bs. That is 62$. So, you have to save A LOT if you want a knife in the Masamoto price range.

I understand your point and really appreciate your input Dave. I just needed to make clear my context here.

I think what Dave is saying is that for the KS's price, you are paying for a full package--not just profile. Trying to buy a replica of the profile compromising the rest is kind of pointless because the knife will most likely not function like a KS--perhaps far from it. And as you try to compromise less...basically you will be told you should buy a KS.

Given your cost considerations perhaps you should consider going for something reputable in your present price range?

Or, go with Erilyn's advice, which actually was pretty profound to me on a couple levels... first, consider looking for it second hand. There are a lot of KS's out there because Masamoto was one of the first Japanese makers to go global in significant scale (years back, people mostly only knew the three M's plus Aritsugu). second, the KS is a great and reputable product from a classic brand, but still a far cry from being the alpha and omega of kitchen knives. There are plenty of folks out there who are cooking greatness and have no idea what it is. there will be great alternative products by other makers at other price points.

and then get the KS later once you have the scratch, if you like it that much, like a real knife nerd.

One thing that makes the KS unique and different, but not better IMHO, is the fact that it's significantly longer than most 240s. Because of this, its flat profile is actually exaggerated, in my experience compared to other knives, because the flat area is significantly longer than other knives - a 240 KS generally measures over 250 mm.
True this, mine measures well into the 250's.

Back