Cheapest place to buy aroma 140 in Canada?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khorax

Reaction score
I'm in the market for atoma 140 plate for flattening my stones. Any advice for the cheapest place to get it for Canadians?

Also confirm 140 is best for flattening? I've read on here it seems to be the holy grail of flattening tools...

I think it's the best because of its speed. I also stuck an atoma 1200 replacement blade on the back for double sided win. My 1200 side is pretty worn and I think I'll be replacing it with a 600 grit blade on the back this time.

I was in the market for one 2 weeks ago the cheapest places are amazon market place (sometimes shady) and tools from Japan, good service from Stuart. Booth options would take something like 6 weeks to get to you. In the end I bought a DMT XXC and I'm super happy with it. Tosho and lee valley have them for a little more.

I think it's the best because of its speed. I also stuck an atoma 1200 replacement blade on the back for double sided win. My 1200 side is pretty worn and I think I'll be replacing it with a 600 grit blade on the back this time.

What exactly is a replacement blade? I thought this was a hunk of metal with diamonds embedded on one side

Lee Valley Tool used to have it the cheapest. After that getting it from Japan was/is the best option, like ebay for example.

What exactly is a replacement blade? I thought this was a hunk of metal with diamonds embedded on one side

The Atoma comes in 2 parts. An aluminum plate which makes up the bulk of it and then a super thin sheet which has the diamond abrasive attached to it. The sheet aka blade is then attached to the plate with an extremely strong double sided tape. I simply added a second blade to the back of it so I would have 2 different grits on one plate. Even if you don't do that the replacement blade is a good idea. When the blade wears down you can replace it for a bit cheaper than buying a whole unit again. Just have to chisel the old blade off, clean and prepare the surface of the plate and attach the new blade. I think Dave Martell had a writeup on this once but I can't find it.

I was in the market for one 2 weeks ago the cheapest places are amazon market place (sometimes shady) and tools from Japan, good service from Stuart. Booth options would take something like 6 weeks to get to you. In the end I bought a DMT XXC and I'm super happy with it. Tosho and lee valley have them for a little more.

Unless the amazon seller has considerable history don' buy, I already made that mistake with one offering for $40. If it's too good to be true than it probably is. Amazon made good though.

Latest posts

Back