Checking in From Los Angeles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdollarsign

Reaction score
I stumbled onto this forum and the world of nice kitchen knives about a week ago when I was looking for knife sharpening advice. I've pretty much just been lurking but you all definitely have me intrigued and itching to maybe buy a few more knives at some point. Just from lurking, I felt comfortable enough to jump in and buy the Suehiro Cerax 1000/3000 combo stone and am looking forward to sharpening my own knives here soon when it arrives.

Until about a week ago I thought I had VERY nice knives (until I saw the knives you all have). I love to cook and I've always cared for and appreciated my kitchen knives and since I've been stuck at home I've been cooking a lot more. I've been trying to challenge myself and improve my knife skills and have really enjoyed my added time in the kitchen. As for now, my knife set is the following:
  • 8 inch Wusthof Chefs Knife
  • 7 inch Zwilling Santoku
  • Victorinox Fibrox Flexible Boning Knife
  • Wusthof Serrated Bread Knife
  • 6 inch Wusthof utility knife
  • Wusthof paring knife
I like to think I take pretty good care of them and did even before I found you all. I use a wooden cutting board, hand wash/dry every knife after each use, and hone knives with the Wusthof honing rod before returning them to their home in a wooden knife block. I had been in the habit of taking my knives to a professional sharpener at my local farmers market about once per year, but I look forward to trying out the whetstones. I do share the knives with my wife but she is just as careful as I am and does a pretty good job taking care of our knives as well.

Anyways, I just figured I'd say hi and check-in. I'll keep lurking for a while and try to prevent myself from spending too much money on a bunch of new knives too quickly but I look forward to learning from you all. If you've got any great advice (especially regarding my knives or my incoming stones) feel free to reach out and let me know!

Welcome to the forums - you definitely came to the right place. Cerax 1000/3000 is a good place to start learning sharpening. Add some some cheaper carbon steel knife (something like a Zakuri) - that will make the learning much more pleasurable.

I see there are lots of other Souther California members around! Is there a recommended knife shop in the area that I can go and feel some knives*? I really love the feel of my Wusthof Chefs knife but I'd love to feel some other types of knives just to see what the differences are in feel and weight and all of that.

*obviously once we can all leave our houses safely

Awesome! Sounds like I need to check out JKI when I can someday! I've already found their website and they look awesome, didn't even realize they were local.

Back