Chinese cleavers- lend me your knowledge.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The topic is CHINESE CLEAVERS . on a knife forums site.
for those with diarrhea of the mouth, should go on Craig's list rant and rave. :poke1:

The topic is CHINESE CLEAVERS . on a knife forums site.
for those with diarrhea of the mouth, should go on Craig's list rant and rave. :poke1:
I stopped ranting on Craiglist once the authorities cracked down on my main reason to browse the site.

As was mentioned the Chinese cut through bone Duck & Chicken. The Carbon bone cleavers are in the 50's hardness. I used CCK carbons for ginger chicken platters. 10 platters (2 chix a platter) cutting through thigh bones. Could get the edge sharp it would take a little beating cutting so much bone, but easy to re sharpen.

I bought a Japanese medium cleaver over one pound stainless VG10 it was thicker grind than my CCK bone cleaver. It chipped cutting Chix thigh. The steel was too hard & not suitable for cutting bone.

Most people here wanting to try a cleaver will not be cutting bone. The CCK 1303 is a good smaller light blade to get one started. They have shot up in price. Esp. on line. China Town here can still get one for 45.00. My first one at same place over 25 yrs. ago was around 20.00.

I wasted money trying to find a decent stainless cleaver, most Chinese stainless is sub par in performance. Wanted a vegetable cleaver for home use. Bought several sold them not as good as my carbons.

I like cleavers have sold most of my old carbon work blades since I retired. Only one I kept is a medium carbon Kau Kong chopper that can handle anything.

The best stainless light cleaver I have found is the Sugimoto 3040. It has user friendly SS gets very sharp & holds a good edge. I use it quite a bit at home. It is another good choice for someone wanting to try a cleaver that is not carbon.

ANDY777 is responsible for turning me into the Chinese cleaver addict I am today.:biggrin:

Latest posts

Back