Chipped whetstone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayPopper

Reaction score
My suehiro stone recently sustained a pea sized beveled chip from the kitchen counter... I feel like it's too deep to be fixed? its maybe 4-5mm deep. Any suggestions?

Its smack in the middle section on the outer edge ;(
OK, I've got a couple like that. Smaller dings, but the strategy is the same. Keep the clean edge facing the direction of your dominant hand, then switch both the stone and your hands to sharpen the other side.

Or take a nice worn-out diamond plate and make the mother of all 45 degree angle chamfers on the damaged edge.

I'd probably do the first, until I had the time to do the second.

Another, with multiple sanded facets and pock-marked spots where inclusions were dug out. I use this for razors, rather touchy work. But it's a stone worth keeping and it's never hurt an edge.

You'll get the hang of working around these things, and the benefits of improved techniques will be well won rewards. Be brave.

IMG_5802.jpeg

Another, with multiple sanded facets and pock-marked spots where inclusions were dug out. I use this for razors, rather touchy work. But it's a stone worth keeping and it's never hurt an edge.

You'll get the hang of working around these things, and the benefits of improved techniques will be well won rewards. Be brave.

View attachment 286861

Wow! I like your dedication. So tell me more about this sharpened ice cream scooper….

Wow! I like your dedication. So tell me more about this sharpened ice cream scooper….
Well.if you need a sharp pizza cutter, the corollary must read that you need a sharp ice cream scoop. I haven't seen a sharp beer opener, but I hear a research grant just opened up to study the issue.

Well.if you need a sharp pizza cutter, the corollary must read that you need a sharp ice cream scoop. I haven't seen a sharp beer opener, but I hear a research grant just opened up to study the issue.
I use an oyster knife as a beer opener 98% of the time. Just need to put it on the the stones to improve performance even more!

FWIW, I’ve also used automotive ‘spot’ putty, lacquer putty, to stabilize imperfections in JNats. It’s cheap, try filling the chip with it then lap the stone. If you don’t like it, nail polish remover, a little paint stripper or lacquer thinner will remove it and not harm natural stones.

If you don’t agree with the putty on a synth, I’d dig most of it out with a pick then use minimal nail polish remover, whatever on a bit of paper towel to remove the remains and minimize contact with the hone.

Back