choosing between 3k or combo 3k / 8k

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

railrus

Reaction score
currently, have king cheap combo stones, 3k natural stone (slow cutter and does not have good feedback) and a leather strop. recently have bought a king hyper 1k and it is a fantastic stone. thinking of adding another stone which is either a good 3k splash and go or jump to a Kasumi 3k / 8k combo stone?

https://www.knivesandtools.com/en/pt/-naniwa-professional-stone-p330.htm
or
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00178PCES/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

using vg10 (hrc58?), blue 2 (hrc 63-64) and planning to buy r2 powder steel gyuto (also hrc 63-64). thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
ha ha ha. was expecting that too. coz i originally wanted to get the famous p330 too! in hind sight, my brain says combo will work well with other whetstones i have.

decision decision .... anyone else?

Cho 3k is a classic,
just be prepared to baby it
(b/c its magnesia binder).

I know this isn't what you were asking but have you considered something like an aggressive 5000 stone. The Naniwa SS 5k is a splash and go and leaves a polished toothy edge. It is one of my favorite all time bang for your buck stones. I used one for 5 years behind the sushi bar before it became a 3mm sliver and broke. You could easily jump from King 1000 Hyper to it and then go to a 10000 or more from there.

thanks for the suggestions. too late, bought the p330 earlier today with strop and gyuto. will check out the ss 5k stone

The thinner, base-less Naniwa Pro is less likely to have cracking issues than the old Chosera as it dries more evenly.

The thinner, base-less Naniwa Pro is less likely to have cracking issues than the old Chosera as it dries more evenly.
Can't prove that by me Ben.Mine are the Pro's and they have all spider webbed and nothing more then a splash of water to sharpen with and all sat on racks to dry.

With the Choseras breaking was a common issue, I'm afraid.
I let the Pros dry wrapped in newspaper. Spider webbing only with the Junpaku, not with the Pros, so far.

With the Choseras breaking was a common issue, I'm afraid.
I let the Pros dry wrapped in newspaper. Spider webbing only with the Junpaku, not with the Pros, so far.
Yep,my Snow White cracked too. Jon at JKI recommends wrapping in a damp towel to aid in slower drying. I have tried that on a King 300 but it didn't seem to help.I may try your newspaper method.

I live in Arizona, very arid. I use damp fiber cloth and haven’t anything crack on me except for Kotetsu 8k but I think it was a bad batch, a bunch of them were reported to crack.

Congrats on the p330, one of my favorite stones.

after my initial testing, everything seems to be fine. even after drying for a couple of hours. is it me or there is a lot of sludge aka slurry? other than that the burr developed quite fast. not too damped too :)

That wet-rag treatment sounds like it is for resinoid stones,
which crack from un-even drying, and it makes sense
to keep them wet (because they can be permasoaked).

Choseras have a binder which is water soluble,
so the goal should be to minimize moisture, ie
don't over-soak and dry evenly (so they dry faster).

You don't want "wet spots" because that means
more prolonged water contact/saturation.

I think this makes sense but maybe
somebody else has a better explanation.

That wet-rag treatment sounds like it is for resinoid stones,
which crack from un-even drying, and it makes sense
to keep them wet (because they can be permasoaked).

Choseras have a binder which is water soluble,
so the goal should be to minimize moisture, ie
don't over-soak and dry evenly (so they dry faster).

You don't want "wet spots" because that means
more prolonged water contact/saturation.

I think this makes sense but maybe
somebody else has a better explanation.
Nope,that makes a lot of sense to me and you are right.When Jon talks about wrapping the stones in a damp towel,he is talking about Resinoid stones.

after my initial testing, everything seems to be fine. even after drying for a couple of hours. is it me or there is a lot of sludge aka slurry? other than that the burr developed quite fast. not too damped too :)

all choseras wear fast and makes a real mess. I dont use mine any longer because of that. I'm on shapton pro and glass now. no slurry/wear and no drying problems. (since they dry in minutes).

get a glass 3k instead imo.

thanks for the feedback guys. been using for a few weeks and quite liked it so far. strangely the characteristics is quite similar to my King Hyper 1000 stone. both are cutting fast, good feedback and makes tonnes of sludge :(

all choseras wear fast and makes a real mess. I dont use mine any longer because of that. I'm on shapton pro and glass now. no slurry/wear and no drying problems. (since they dry in minutes).

get a glass 3k instead imo.
Have been using Choseras and Naniwa Pros now for years, and didn't experience the same. Have you perhaps soaked it? That could explain the fast wearing, as soaking seems to change its structure.
Love the Shaptons as well. Very different indeed. A bit of work to create some mud. Much less tactile feedback than with the Choseras, though.

Same here,even though my Choe's have spider webs,I still use them as the cracks are just an eye sore and do not interfere with sharpening,probably never will,and they have much better feel and feed back then my Shapton Pros.And I just so happen to like the slurry they can create because slurry aids in my sharpening. They don't wear any faster then my Shaptons.

Back