ChucktheButcher - Sad News

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am an electrical contractor out here in Silicon Valley. All commercial industrial work. No residential but we have done a few restaurants. My company hit 30 years in business this year. Very nice of him to donate his time to do this.

More to come, guys. LEDs will go inside the case, but the case depth is shallow enough that they will not illuminate all of the blades. The master concept is for the track lighting plus the case LEDs, which will make the most out of a rough setup to light. Last month Bill met on site with a lighting distributor and they assessed the case, knocked around lighting options, etc. The distributor than had one of his manufacturers donate the track system.

There are a lot of less-then-optimum things about the case from a lighting perspective, and the Plexiglas is a huge issue. But once the in-case lighting is installed the improvements will be tremendous, even if it's not as good as if the case were to be redesigned.

BTW, Bill has done the electrical work in a bunch of restaurants, breweries and distilleries in the area, and he also does regular commercial and residential work. He has a pretty broad background.

2010ZR1 My dad was a Master Electrician too. He worked mostly commercial Boston high rise, hospitals, elevators...

40 years IBEW 103. I went to trade school as a freshman but it just didn't stick.

Yes, I have had my Masters Electricians License since 1991, boy does time fly. I installed a 48 inch section of track with 4 track heads, the bulbs are MR-16 quartz halogen. Wildboar is friends with a lighting rep and got the track and heads donated - way cool!

The two bulbs lighting the top half are GE (my favorite MR-16 bulb manufacturer) 35 watt 40 degree with a soft focus lens and honeycomb filters. The two lighting the lower half are Phillips 20 watt 15 degree with linear spread lens and honeycomb filters. I may remove the filter on these as it somewhat defeats the purpose of the linear spread lens and I will bring some 42 watt 9 degree bulbs to try out next time. I'm not a big fan of honeycomb filters but since the rest of the restaurant heads have them we wanted to keep the look.

The interior will be Jesco S601 LED cove lights at 3,000K. A great product from a pretty good Co.

I like people asking questions so no problems!

I am an electrical contractor out here in Silicon Valley. All commercial industrial work. No residential but we have done a few restaurants. My company hit 30 years in business this year. Very nice of him to donate his time to do this.

Cool stuff! We too have done a fair amount of restaurants, not much commercial otherwise, except for breweries and a few brewhouses inside of restaurants we didn't get. Mostly custom homes with lighting control systems and service work.

Awesome, you are definitely on top of it. I am sure this is going to come out great.

Pretty sure Bill's a licensed Master electrician. I would have thought low voltage LED would be the way to go. Either way looks great Bill. Kind of you to do so.

Dennis,

I would love to get the entire restaurant to switch over all their MR-16's to LED, maybe later. The problem besides the upfront costs is they are tricky to dim. I have found SORAA bulbs to be the best but all the dimmers would still need to be changed.

A buddy of mine has a restaurant in Yountville, CA and they recently switched the dining room over to LED and when dimmed there is an almost imperceptible flickering that is making some diners uncomfortable. It may be the dimmers themselves but I am working with him to try and find a solution.

Had the chance to see the case again earlier today. Just the addition of the lighting track has been a huge improvement. The in-case LEDs should really make it nice. The plexiglas cover is the biggest issue now -- it is pretty reflective and the cleaner that is being used is streaking the surface.

Each time I see the contents of the case I am amazed. Just about every knife in there is one that would have KKFers tripping over each other to play with. Most of the custom makers that frequent the forums are represented multiple times, and there are also some from makers known to only a few around here.

I would recommend a look to any of you who visit the DC area.

Truly a homage to a lot of talented makers, both stateside and abroad.
Plus yummy foods and great company to boot.
What a great Sunday brunch today. Thanks again to Dave, Bill and bkdc. I'm really excited about putting my new Boardsmith board to work

Bill13 was installing the in-case lighting a couple weeks ago, and i thought I would take advantage and shoot a quick video of the knives. Unfortunately the glass and wool blanket background really screwed with the camera focus, so while it looked okay on a smartphone screen it is actually pretty rough. I took pics of pairs of knives as well (using a 'real' camera) but have not gone through and organized them for posting yet.

Anyway, please enjoy a look at some of Charlie's knives:

[video=youtube;7Rdv7NS3k6k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7Rdv7NS3k6k[/video]

Every time I look at his collection something "new" jumps out and catches my attention.
I'll never forget hanging with you and him in their parking garage with a glass of wine, the back of his suv open and us checking his knives out. I also won't forget the look on that lady's face in the BMW as she drove past us. She did Not park her car in that garage.

I just noticed today would have been Chuck's birthday... Happy birthday and rest in peace

Latest posts

Back