ChucktheButcher - Sad News

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sad, I always enjoyed his posts.

(On another note, I suspect one of his significant assets is his knife collection which could be hard to sell for a fair price for people who don't understand knives. In an attempt to help out his family, after a decent period of time has passed, is their anyway we could arrange to sell his collection here for them? I am not sure how we could do this but I would hate to see his loved ones lose out on many thousands of dollars by being ripped off by someone who doesn't understand their worth.)

+1 This. Any ideas?

+1 This. Any ideas?

Someone needs to contact his wife or family and volunteer bit of their time to assess the value of the knives he has ( contact the makers if required) and put it for sale . He had mentioned earlier in our conversations that he works a lot and collects knives when he doesn't . With few Kramers , Burke's and other very high end knives I hope they will get some funds to help his family in his absence . I haven't met him in person but last week or so we were messaging each other about a knife I was selling , feels unreal to check the "what's new " and see this , it's a bitter reminder

Charlie's dad brought up this exact topic when he called me with the news on Monday. Once things have settled a bit I will likely make an initial pass through the collection and point out to them which ones are the really valuable knives. Some may go to family members as reminders of Charlie. Others may be sold eventually, or the family may complete a large display case Charlie had been working on last year for the restaurant and put many of the knives on display there. The stones will be a bigger challenge, as there are many natural stones and I don't know much about those. So good chance I will be reaching out to some of the regular vendors and also maybe posting some pics here asking for assistance.

The main thing I told Charlie's dad is there are a lot of knives worth north of $1k/ each, and some of them (like a straight carbon Kramer) might not look fancy but are worth a lot. So they realize they should keep everything intact until we can get a chance to sort through things.

Man...terrible news, and like everyone here, I always enjoyed his posts. It feels weird to read this news....

RIP Charlie.

If anyone on the forum was close to Charlie it would be great to volunteer to catalogue his knives. With all the resources available here and elsewhere on the Web, it shouldn't be hard to place realistic values on them. It could be a great asset for the estate executor to help the survivors maximize the potential of his investment.
I'm not trying to sound callous, but that's exactly what I would hope someone would do for my survivor in the same situation.

If anyone on the forum was close to Charlie it would be great to volunteer to catalogue his knives. With all the resources available here and elsewhere on the Web, it shouldn't be hard to place realistic values on them. It could be a great asset for the estate executor to help the survivors maximize the potential of his investment.
I'm not trying to sound callous, but that's exactly what I would hope someone would do for my survivor in the same situation.

It feels good that I'm not the only one who is concerned about this.
I spoke with Dave (Wildboar) about this tragedy yesterday and offered to help with any of this. At the very least I could bring my camera and finally take some quality pictures of Chuck's brilliant collection.

Really sad news - Charlie was a great contributor with one of the most amazing collections.

This is very sad. I was just talking to him a week or so ago about trading some knives and food. He was a really good guy. Rip Chuck.

I'm relieved to hear others bringing up the value of Charlie's extensive collection (of knives & stones) and in volunteering to help catalog/ID them for sale.

The family will need to decide what they want to do, but I already indicated many of his knives are worth a lot more then they may likely realize, and after things settle down I will help them sort through things initially. And I'll help track down values and/ or help sell anything they do not want to keep, which may well include me asking lots of questions here in the forums, especially about stones.

...I'll help track down values and/ or help sell anything they do not want to keep, which may well include me asking lots of questions here in the forums, especially about stones.

I recall seeing a photo where CtheB had quite a large natural collection on a table. I remember thinking'good stuff' and lots will likely be worth some money for his family.

Unfortunately though, I think some/many of the stones will be virtually impossible to ID in detail, especially not being able to handle/try them, with possible kanji long since eroded, and if no list or records of his purchases can be found. On the bright side, since he was a big collector you'd assume his stones were good quality and should be worth something.

Would be good to eventually see some photos of the stones to ID. Hope I can help. There's a former member here who sold/traded with C and could help tick off a few. I suppose if he had buyers accounts with any of the online sellers, if you could also access these then it could help ID a few more.

RIP, never met the man but always enjoyed his posts.

I think Mr. Drinky said it best that the 15 page thread made me smile (happy?)

As Marc said, hopefully better photos come from this.

Very sad news, He will be missed. R.I.P

a very shocking news given that he was just posting a few days back. R.I.P mate.

I am a close friend of Charlie and his family.

It is incredibly nice to see that a forum he spent so much time on is so caring and thoughtful. His brother mentioned a forum that he frequented and I was able to find this forum and Chuckthebutcher was obviously my buddy Charlie. I was hesitant to post before as I know his brother had been wanting to. I just decided to post about this in the hopes some of you could attend his service. I saw this thread and it really warmed my heart.

Charlie's Dad is finishing a beautiful display case to show many of his knives in the restaurant. I know Charlie would be very happy about that, I just wish he was around to tell us all about them. The last time I saw Charlie he spent over an hour telling me all about his knives and stones.

I know Charlie would have wanted many of you at his service, below is the details for anyone who can attend.

FYI : Family will receive visitors at the Murphy Funeral Home at 4610 Wilson Blvd. Arlington, Va on Thursday, October 22nd, from 6 to 8 p.m. with services to be held at Murphy’s on Friday, October 23rd at 11 a.m. A celebration of Charlie’s life will be held at the Green Pig Bistro following the services at 1p.m. on Friday.

It is incredibly nice to see that a forum he spent so much time on is so caring and thoughtful. His brother mentioned a forum that he frequented and I was able to find this forum and Chuckthebutcher was obviously my buddy Charlie. I was hesitant to post before as I know his brother had been wanting to. I just decided to post about this in the hopes some of you could attend his service. I saw this thread and it really warmed my heart.

Charlie's Dad is finishing a beautiful display case to show many of his knives in the restaurant. I know Charlie would be very happy about that, I just wish he was around to tell us all about them. The last time I saw Charlie he spent over an hour telling me all about his knives and stones.

I know Charlie would have wanted many of you at his service, below is the details for anyone who can attend.

FYI : Family will receive visitors at the Murphy Funeral Home at 4610 Wilson Blvd. Arlington, Va on Thursday, October 22nd, from 6 to 8 p.m. with services to be held at Murphy’s on Friday, October 23rd at 11 a.m. A celebration of Charlie’s life will be held at the Green Pig Bistro following the services at 1p.m. on Friday.

Thank you for the heads up regarding this. I'm really sorry for your loss. It's never easy losing friends, I've lost several myself. It's also great to hear about the display case going up at the Bistro. I think that's an awesome idea and I'll definitely be there to check it out.

Never met but always found him engaging, very pleasant and knowledgeable on this forum with an amazing collection of knives & stones. Did get the chance to eat at Green Pig twice which was a real treat. Just bumbed out by the news as well as the crap he had been through recently with some of his favorite blades being stolen ... RIP & my thoughts are with his family & friends!

Thanks for the info, I plan on attending the Friday services.

Minor typo, but funeral home address appears to be 4510 Wilson Blvd. Here is a link to Charlie's obituary: http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/di...rles-Harlan&lc=1143&pid=176182122&mid=6642678. There is a guest book that can be signed for those interested.

It's odd, but the obit states the address is 4610, but everything else indicates it is 4510.

Back