Appetizer Citrus-cured salmon

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michi

I dislike attempts to rewrite history
Reaction score
This is the perfect party pleaser. Whenever I take this somewhere, people rave about how this is the best salmon they've ever eaten. (In my opinion, it's better than smoked salmon.)
  • One side of salmon, skin on, bones removed
  • 4 tsp coriander seeds
  • 4 tsp white peppercorns
  • 300 g table salt
  • 100 g sugar
  • About 6 lemons and 2 oranges
  • zest of both the lemons and oranges
  • 500 ml lemon and orange juice (two parts lemon to one part orange)
  • 200 ml dry white wine
  • Dijon mustard
  • 1 bunch of dill
  • 1 bunch of basil
The amount of cure above is a for a large fillet. If you have a small fillet or half-fillet, reduce the amount proportionally.

Zest the lemons and oranges and squeeze out the juice. Crush the coriander seeds and peppercorns roughly and combine with other ingredients (except mustard and herbs), whisking to dissolve salt and sugar. (Some of it will remain undissolved.)

Pour liquid and undissolved salt and sugar into a bag and submerge the fillet, making sure it can lie flat after sealing the bag. (Alternatively, use a large glass dish to marinate the salmon in.)

Leave salmon in the marinade for 48 hours, turning every 12 hours. This "cooks" the fish much of the way through. You can reduce the time to get less of the sour/salty curing and keep the texture of the fish closer to raw. The minimum is 24 hours, which leaves the centre of the fish essentially raw, with the cure affecting only the outer layers. 36 hours will give you something in between raw and "cooked".

Remove salmon from marinade and brush with a clean cloth, removing excess zest. Brush skinless side of salmon lightly with Dijon mustard and coat with finely chopped basil and dill. Tightly wrap in cling film and leave in refrigerator for two hours.

The salmon can then be sliced as required. Cut thinly with a sharp knife on an angle towards the skin.

The salmon will keep for several days in the fridge if wrapped airtight in cling film.
IMG_3474.jpg

Last edited:
This is the perfect party pleaser. Whenever I take this somewhere, people rave about how this is the best salmon they've ever eaten. (In my opinion, it's better than smoked salmon.)
  • One side of salmon, skin on, bones removed
  • 4 tsp coriander seeds
  • 4 tsp white peppercorns
  • 300 g table salt
  • 100 g sugar
  • About 6 lemons and 2 oranges
  • zest of both the lemons and oranges
  • 500 ml lemon and orange juice (two parts lemon to one part orange)
  • 200 ml dry white wine
  • Dijon mustard
  • 1 bunch of dill
  • 1 bunch of basil
The amount of cure above is a for a large fillet. If you have a small fillet or half-fillet, reduce the amount proportionally.

Zest the lemons and oranges and squeeze out the juice. Crush the coriander seeds and peppercorns roughly and combine with other ingredients (except mustard and herbs), whisking to dissolve salt and sugar. (Some of it will remain undissolved.)
Pour liquid and undissolved salt and sugar into a bag and submerge the fillet, making sure it can lie flat after sealing the bag. (Alternatively, use a large glass dish to marinate the salmon in.)
Leave salmon in the marinade for 48 hours, turning every 12 hours.

Remove salmon from marinade and brush with a clean cloth, removing excess zest.
Brush skinless side of salmon lightly with Dijon mustard and coat with finely chopped basil and dill.
Tightly wrap in cling film and leave in refrigerator for two hours.
The salmon can then be sliced as required. Cut thinly with a sharp knife on an angle towards the skin.

The salmon will keep for several days in the fridge if wrapped airtight in cling film.
View attachment 71513
Thanks for the recipe, will try it out. Also, I have that same salmon knife, right tool for the job.

Back