Coffee gear and discussion thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never been a huge fan of coffee. The only way I've been able to drink most restaurants stuff is to fill it with milk and sugar. That being said, about 6 months ago, I was eating at a restaurant and had a Turkish coffee. Wow!! Never had anything taste so good that was called coffee. Since then, I've bought an Ibrik, and a small can of finely ground Turkish coffee, and now I can't get enough. Maybe I need to just try a good cup of coffee, but this has been my experience so far.

Fresh coffee is different tasting than what you find in a supermarket. Correction, quality fresh coffee. When done right, with an experienced hand, it is like wine in the type of flavors that arise. Flavors such as fruity, chocolate, caramel, tobacco, acidic, balanced, winey, and bitter. I've tasted all these. Some are bold, others taste like tea. Unfortunetely, most people are introducted to stale, bitter coffee so they assume thats what coffee tastes like. That couldn't be further from the truth.

just checked the temp on my water and im lower then i thouhgt guess di ll haveot have a different plan for heating my water for my arropress (yes im a cheap ass but i do at least grind my own beans by hand in a bur grinder

Second vote for the Behmor coffee roaster. I have no problem roasting indoors.
Many say that other roasters give more control but the Behmor does roast a full pound of green at a time which is a big plus.

I dont like doing a full pound in the behmor because it roasts too slowly. I like to target 9 to 10 minutes otherwise the coffee tastes flat. In order to achieve this on the behmor I roast a quarter pound at a time.

I know it's a no-no by the warranty, but I roast 1/2 lb using the 1 lb buttons. It's true, especially after 50+ roasts, the roasts take too long. It does require cleaning, specifically the fan and heat sensor.

Also, to address a question:
www.sweetmarias.com
www.roastmasters.com
www.coffeeshrub.com (for businesses, owned bye sweetmarias)

can solve your greens issue. There are others, but these are my favs.

For those who do not roast their own beans, I would highly suggest trying Red Bird Coffee. http://redbirdcoffee.com/

I LOVE the Red Bird espresso. I've tried several different roaster the past couple years but always come back. I order 5 lbs at a time and with free shipping you can't beat the price. As soon as I get the delivery, I seal the excess in pint mason jars and freeze them. Works great through the last jar...

3rd day with Red Bird espresso - I think I got it for - grind, tamp etc. :thumbsup:

So, what do you think? :)

Still trying to dial-in taste but OK espresso and Americano :)
Very different from local beans I use at 2x + the cost, these are smaller beans, milder roast and less aroma all around (bag, grind, cup).

For espresso my benchmark is Black Cat. It is also way too expensive -- I live in Canada so I need to bring in an unreasonable quantity to get the cost/ounce down from the exosphere to just the stratosphere... That said, it's damn good espresso. I've had better, but not often. It is consistently good, which is why it is a benchmark for me. Looking around for cheaper alternatives, I have tried Counter Culture Coffee's various espresso blends with some success. Their Rustica and Toscano blends work well with my very humble setup (cheap burr grinder, Rancilio Silvia v.3), and I was able to dial in the grind and tamp quickly. Next I'd like to try either Red Bird or Paradise Roasters, mainly because of the cost -- less than half the price per ounce compared to Black Cat for small quantities. If it is decent enough, I may switch.

Do either Red Bird or Paradise put their roast dates on the packages (as do IC and CCC)?

The problem with current day Black Cat is it is not the chocolate bomb it once was. Additionally, it changes quite often, as coffee's do. I can't quite remember as I am not home and can't check my bag, but I don't think Red Bird puts the roast date on the package; I am not worried, as I know it gets to me within 2 days of ordering. He always roasts right before he ships. Also, I love this as well: http://www.caffefresco.us/offerings/suggested_ambrosiaEspresso.php

Jason

For espresso my benchmark is Black Cat. It is also way too expensive -- I live in Canada so I need to bring in an unreasonable quantity to get the cost/ounce down from the exosphere to just the stratosphere... That said, it's damn good espresso. I've had better, but not often. It is consistently good, which is why it is a benchmark for me. Looking around for cheaper alternatives, I have tried Counter Culture Coffee's various espresso blends with some success. Their Rustica and Toscano blends work well with my very humble setup (cheap burr grinder, Rancilio Silvia v.3), and I was able to dial in the grind and tamp quickly. Next I'd like to try either Red Bird or Paradise Roasters, mainly because of the cost -- less than half the price per ounce compared to Black Cat for small quantities. If it is decent enough, I may switch.

I thought BC was decent but definately not worth it for me for the price. I used to be more of a "choc bomb" kind of guy but my preferences have evolved to a bit brighter blends (though definately not in-your-face bright).

I can't remember if Jeff puts the date on the bags. (ordering 5# at a time, i don't get them too often :) ) I do know all my past orders have been shipped the same day as roasted. During non-summer months he includes a free small chocolate with each lb. ordered which I think is a nice touch.

I've heard that Ambrosia is good but haven't tried it yet myself.

Red Bird bag has hand written date - upper right corner of label.
This am brewed RB espresso beans using Aeropress with metal filter and coarser grind. Good :happymug:
Will do Aeropress again tomorrow, then to espresso machine.

Redirecting from another thread...

The cory is much better made syphon, but they both opperate on the same principles. What is your current yama procedure?

Pretty basic, actually. Though our tap water is perfectly alright, I prefer to use filtered water in all my coffees. For the Yama I just start the flame and bring quart of Brita water to a boil in an electric kettle. I pour a couple of ounces into the Yama for a few seconds to reduce the thermal shock, then fill it up and slide the flame underneath, and insert the coffee chamber. When the upper chamber is full and roiling, I give it a quick stir and time one minute, at which point I remove the flame and watch the magic. Eventually I may get the butane burner and skip the kettle for pre-heating the water. After my cup, I clean the upper chamber, rinse the filter under cold running water while I re-boil the rest of the water in the kettle. I throw the filter in a small marmalade jar, fill it with boiling water and screw on the lid. When it cools and vacuum seals itself, I put it in the fridge until next time. I get about 40 brews before the muslin gets a bit too tattered.

I've been using different single origins from Intelligentsia and Counter Culture, letting them grind for vacuum siphon brewers for me (my little grinder is always full of espresso blend and is too fiddly on a normal day).

Nice, a coffee thread! Been roasting my own for about a year now off and on in a Whirley Pop. I mostly use an aeropress, but occasionally a french press if I have company, and I have an inexpensive espresso setup too but the results are mixed with that.

I had to put a plug in for the roaster of my absolute favorite espresso blend ever veltonscoffee.com/. One guy roasting small batches weekly. The Bonsai blend is an amazing espresso blend and the Twilight blend is good for those who like a bit darker roast for drip/pour over. He's a super nice guy too.

So now that I moved to Texas and it's going to start getting very hot, I decided I'm going to make my own cold brew for iced coffee in the morning. I finally picked up a grinder. I decided to cheap out and get a hand crank since I'll be making coffee concentrate and I'll only need to grind maybe once a week, plus I'll most likely be using it in my office and don't want to disturb others.

I bought this grinder

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QDVNVW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

And I'll brew in this French press

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003NG922U/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

So am I doing OK for an office cold brew setup? What type of beans are good for iced coffee? I'm just not sure where I should even begin.

Last edited by a moderator:
You gonna drink it straight up, or add sugar and/ or milk?

Chilling the coffee will dull some of the finer flavor nuances, and adding milk (and to a lesser extent sugar) will dull it even more. So while I do not have any specific bean/ roaster recommendations, just keep in mind going for single origins, etc. may not provide much benefit.

I'm not knocking iced coffee though -- I like it every now and then.

Kyle if you want iced coffee you will be far better off to brew in a toddy brewer, cold French press isn't that clean and I feel like the end product can often be more bitter than it should be.
Try: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040ZR0VS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I have a couple hand grinders myself, nothing at all wrong with using them. Despite also having 2k in electric grinders, I enjoy using mine frequently, especially when doing the more manual process of pour-over.

For beans one needs to realize that in cold brew more of the nutty and earthy tones come forward and that you lose all of the floral and mostly all of the fruitiness. So as David said, your bean choice should reflect this, and lesser coffees will taste better as an iced brew than they would have hot. Personally I still believe in drinking single origin iced coffee though, just don't spend $25/lb on a Guat because it exhibits a beautiful honeysuckle note. I like to look for things with black fruit and chocolate as descriptors, as well as good earthiness. Also, while I don't mind spending $25+/lb on something I will vac-pot, I try to keep an iced candidate around 15-18. Some suggestions for origins would be Brazil, Nicaragua, Papa New Guinea, Bali, Ethiopia.

If you really get into it you can get an ice drip brewer one day, that is actually next on my coffee item list.
It produces an end product that is oddly rich and unctuous, picture a cocktail of Frangelico and Kahlua on ice. I find 4oz to be an ample serving on ice, and it also dilutes well for a daily type drink.

Find it Here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002RL9DW6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I hope some of this info is useful for you. Happy brewing.

A trip to the coffee geek web site might be very helpful to you in this endeavor.

A trip to the coffee geek web site might be very helpful to you in this endeavor.
:plus1:
went to coffee geek site and may try making iced Vietnamese coffee :biggrin:
usps just delivered Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Adado from Stumptown Coffee Roasters - just in time as the local beans are almost gone.
Was able to dial-in Red Bird for tasty espresso/Americanos - typically about 50% crema. Also 50/50 blend was good with darker roasted local beans.

I'm using Ethiopia Mordecofe single origin espresso roast organic hereloom from Stumptown. Whew!

Kyle if you want iced coffee you will be far better off to brew in a toddy brewer, cold French press isn't that clean and I feel like the end product can often be more bitter than it should be.
Try: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040ZR0VS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I have a couple hand grinders myself, nothing at all wrong with using them. Despite also having 2k in electric grinders, I enjoy using mine frequently, especially when doing the more manual process of pour-over.

For beans one needs to realize that in cold brew more of the nutty and earthy tones come forward and that you lose all of the floral and mostly all of the fruitiness. So as David said, your bean choice should reflect this, and lesser coffees will taste better as an iced brew than they would have hot. Personally I still believe in drinking single origin iced coffee though, just don't spend $25/lb on a Guat because it exhibits a beautiful honeysuckle note. I like to look for things with black fruit and chocolate as descriptors, as well as good earthiness. Also, while I don't mind spending $25+/lb on something I will vac-pot, I try to keep an iced candidate around 15-18. Some suggestions for origins would be Brazil, Nicaragua, Papa New Guinea, Bali, Ethiopia.

If you really get into it you can get an ice drip brewer one day, that is actually next on my coffee item list.
It produces an end product that is oddly rich and unctuous, picture a cocktail of Frangelico and Kahlua on ice. I find 4oz to be an ample serving on ice, and it also dilutes well for a daily type drink.

Find it Here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002RL9DW6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I hope some of this info is useful for you. Happy brewing.

I had a Toddy and loved it, but my roommate broke the carafe that came with it and then it got cold again so I stopped cold brewing. When I moved I chucked the remnants of it. I honestly only went with the French press because it's all in a much more elegant package than the Toddy, and since this will be in my office I just figured it would look a little nicer. I'm not questioning you, but if cold brew is simply soaking grinds in water overnight and then filtering out the beans, how does the French press produce a more bitter product? My plan was to press and pour the remaining concentrate in a separate carafe for storage in the fridge. If the Toddy will be better I will return the press. I wanted an Hourglass brewer since that seems like a much more elegant design than the Toddy but I guess it's discontinued now.

I've seen those cold drip coffee makers, but I only drink iced coffee when I need my fix in the summer months and a hot cup of coffee doesn't sound too appealing when it's 100+ outside. Doing cold brew myself is to just save me from spending $4 daily at Starbucks.

Thanks for all the advice!

Too bad you tossed the Toddy pieces, you can get a polycarbonate replacement carafe for like $10.
But hey, if you already have the FP then go for it, I thought you were buying a new device.
Like the differences in most brewing methods, assuming all other factors to be equal, the wild card is the means of filtering. The FP doesn't filter off oils, which is its draw for hot coffee because it contains more flavonoids. IMHO I find they become tannic and the cold coffee from the FP doesn't hold as well as from the Toddy over time. Your experience may be different. Also, I haven't tried this particular design of the FP for this, just the standard rig.
Either way you're getting a superior product compared to pouring brewed coffee over ice, so good for you for doing things right.
I do love a good cup of iced coffee in the summer!

Just cold brew it in the FP then pour it through a number 4 filter into a carafe. That's what i would do.

Latest posts

Back