Coffee Grinding

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I used to drink coffee, I used a Camano Coffee Mill. It was perfect for the amounts of coffee I made (just me, daily, and two or three when we had company) and was quiet enough to use in the morning without waking anyone up. The grinding took some effort so if you're averse to physical exertion, look elsewhere. It's far from being the ne plus ultra of manual grinders but it was affordable, interchangeable with all widemouth mason jars and made in the USA.
camano-coffee-mill.jpg

That Red Rooster site is pretty cool.

I am in SW Oregon. Everything is weird here.
Yep.. My mother in law lives in Hashland... it's all weird down there.... and that's coming from someone that grew up in Eugene.... but was smart enough to move to Springfield

I ordered the Camano coffee mill.It's oscar month on Turner Classic Movies was watching (Two Women) Italian movie made in 1961 starring Sophia Loren.There is a scene were she is grinding beans with a hand crank mill.She was not only beautiful,she was a good actress as well.

My own grinder has a few....issues but I got a broken one and haven't heard of any others with my problem. Either way it works great for small batches of pretty much any size - hario's slim mill. Only makes about 2 cups at a time but with a manual you want want to make more than that at once anyway and it's only 30 dollars. I'd say go for something like this rather than drop a fair sum on an electric, just so you know whether it's worth it to pay for that.

holy shiet at prices on the Mazzer and Rancillo

Yeah coffee equipment get expensive very fast. Having said that I've had. Rocky for over 13 years and it's still perfect.

However, for anything short of espresso, this will be more than adequate ...

http://www.1st-line.com/store/pc/Baratza-Encore-Coffee-Grinder-124p4567.htm

Always grind just before brewing. Use coffee roasted within 2 weeks. Don't ever freeze beans. Keep in an airtight container out of direct sunlight. You will never be happier (with the coffee that is ... :)

Cheers,

J

Then a "whirly" spice grinder like jamaster14 linked to will do fine. Any dust you create while grinding beans in it will be filtered out and won't muddy the cup. If you were using a French press, you'd need a more expensive burr grinder.

The dust from a spice grinder will clog the filter paper pores and slow the extraction. You really do want a burr grinder, which produces minimal "fines."

What would be the best grinder to use for a french press?

What would be the best grinder to use for a french press?

French press doesn't require anything different as far as a grinder goes (as long as it's a burr grinder), just need to use a med-coarse setting.

Drink well, go Kona,
Mikey

Any conical burr grinders worth their salt for around $200? I am not grinding for espresso, but rather aeropress and chemex. Like variability, but also looking for minimal fines. Have been using hand burr grinder, and I am just tired of it. I like to get to business fast!

I recently moved from a Krups whirley bird grinder to a Baratza Virtuoso burr grinder. At just over 200 I only wish I had done it earlier. I use mine to feed an Aeropress and a drip pot. Chemex may be in my future.

This forum is taking me back to the stone age. Hand grinding coffee, shaving with a straight razor. Been using the Camano for 5 months now. It is a ritual just like shaving. Besides being an older fart any little exercise helps.

Any conical burr grinders worth their salt for around $200? I am not grinding for espresso, but rather aeropress and chemex. Like variability, but also looking for minimal fines. Have been using hand burr grinder, and I am just tired of it. I like to get to business fast!

The KitchenAid ProLine is great for both Aeropress and Chemex. I've used mine daily for over six years and it's still going strong.

http://www.peachsuite.com/977-kplcm...offee-bin-stainless-steel-cuttin-kplcmob.html

I recently moved from a Krups whirley bird grinder to a Baratza Virtuoso burr grinder. At just over 200 I only wish I had done it earlier. I use mine to feed an Aeropress and a drip pot. Chemex may be in my future.

+1 for the Baratza Virtuoso. I bought mine about five months ago from JL Hufford for $190. Unless you're a serious espresso lover this grinder will handle all your coffee grinding needs.

For an aeropress honestly you could just go with a cheepo $20 krups blade the only time consistency really matters is when a) you've advanced your coffee to a local micro roaster or you get some sweet Maria's pre roasted or green beans b) really the only qualification = your pulling an espresso. With aeropress and French press the coffee is so murky/muddled that the kind of clarification your looking for, if you wanted to test this than use your cheep blade grinder to break the beans half way then hand grind (what I do, its much faster), you would need a different form of extraction to make spending those 200 big ones worth it. A pour over or an espresso machine would make the price worth it, Rok makes a cheap alternative ($200) that I've been wanting to test out. Really true consistency of the grind only matters with espresso, where the flavor of a good pull can vary like night and day, pour overs you can get away with a little inconsistency. If you choose to ignore my advice in that regard, than I would go with the Baratza, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdBWAUS8HA&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Seattle coffee gear has great reviews on YouTube
If your serious about coffee or are thinking of taking that next step into espresso than I would bump up to a rancilio rocky WITHOUT (sorry no way to underscore, I'm not shouting at you) the basket and thats around 300+. gl drink on and may your teeth forever stay white.

French press doesn't have to be murky. After my brew cycle is finished, I use my Hario V60 and a rinsed filter to transfer the coffee to my thermos. It's amazing how clogged up the filter gets. The last 1/4 cup I just let pass down the kitchen sink drain because it flows so slow through the filter.

The point of the French press is to be a murkier muddled taste, the extra grinds left over and the soak time, are supposed to increase the caffeine content, but not create a clarification of flavors like the pour overs do. But hey, the best coffee is the one your enjoying. Personally right now I do an espresso grind in my hario manual grinder than aeropress, using about 25-30 grams, talk about strong with the force.

I just ordered a Baratza Encore last week along with a Bonavita BV1800TH. Really looking forward to replacing the MrCoffee and the whirly grinder.

Just going slightly off topic here.
The other day after work I stopped by the grocery store on the way home.
Like a dummy I did not lock the car.
When I came back the glove box and console were open and a package with 2 lbs of coffee that had arrived in the mail were missing.
There was $15 cash still in the console that they left, but the dang thief took my coffee.

I had a friend in DC whose house was broken into. The thief stole 4 laptops and..... the Brita filter attached to the faucet. The cop actually laughed out loud when she listed the 5 things that were nicked. Would have made the thief pretty easy to identify.

+1 KitchenAid Pro Line burr grinder. Sometimes they have them on sale at the KA website.

:thumbsup: It sure makes things a lot easier. It may seem like overkill to many people, but in reality it is the right tool for the job.

It's really funny jumping from hobby to hobby and finding how people view what their items cost, and what the "minimum" quality level is as compared to other hobbies. Coffee snobs have grinders that cost more than a really good Devin T knife, or a medium Burke. And that's just their grinder. I can easily say that for any serious coffee snob 700.00 is the starting point of a "quality" grinder (new). Of course when I came here and saw knives for 2K I almost passed out, but an espresso machine for 2K is just getting started in the upper end lol.

hehe, yeah. My espresso machine = a Kramer custom. But it gets used a heck of a lot more then I would use a $5k knife. I've probably made 3,000 espressos/ cappucinos with it the 5 years I have owned it. Factoring in the costs for beans and milk, I'm probably close to break even on it right now compared to buying coffee drinks at Panera and coffee houses. Of course if I had used the money to get a Kramer custom instead I could have sold it for a $15k profit, then bought the espresso machine and deposited $15k back into the bank :O

It's really funny jumping from hobby to hobby and finding how people view what their items cost, and what the "minimum" quality level is as compared to other hobbies. Coffee snobs have grinders that cost more than a really good Devin T knife, or a medium Burke. And that's just their grinder. I can easily say that for any serious coffee snob 700.00 is the starting point of a "quality" grinder (new). Of course when I came here and saw knives for 2K I almost passed out, but an espresso machine for 2K is just getting started in the upper end lol.

I agree if you want your automatic, dual pump, yada yada yada. But if your willing to throw in some elbow grease or a little ingenuity then a hario hand mill for $50, a nut and bit with a drill can produce a really even grind for 1/100th of the cost. Or minus the drill and bit and a hundred turns for 30ish grams and you'll be drinking your coffee in about 5 minutes. And for a cheapo who can substitute money for effort it works out well enough. However if you do have a grand lying around then look into the HG One if your truly worried about a low heat quality grind (spoiler, it's also a manual grinder).

Back