Comparative Review: Konosuke HD2/Yoshikane SKD & Ouka/Rika/SP5K

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModRQC

Just shutup n' grabbit!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
PART 2

Part 1 see HERE

My main point of interest in this comparison is sharpenability – and a good occasion to discuss a few fine stones. Perhaps even to revive the old “what steel is HD2” debate… I’d sure wanna know, because it’s great. MUCH greater knife to sharpen than just any Stainless I’ve seen so far but AEB-L – and there, no inferior. Best surprise so far I’ve ever had with a steel – but then again might not come as a surprise if we knew what it was.

The Yoshikane OOTB edge was pretty poor, and my approach pretty straightforward: I knew from experience that it would take a fine edge, and it did. To make sure the poor factory edge was good riddance without going overly aggressive, I went through a progression NP800 – stropping on SP2K – SP5K, some shallow 20* inclusive and it instantly started to sing in the next prep. Mostly SKD-12 behaves like a simple carbon steel on the stones – which is pretty in line with it being a quite basic low alloy composition. I couldn’t even say there’s added difficulty deburring – no excess clinging there. Very well treated steel.

1.jpg

For the Konosuke, being unknown steel, I worked in steps – still to about 20* inclusive. A good session on SP1K as to get rid of an edge touched up a bit too often, to a SP2K finish was my first test, then dulling the edge and a reciprocating session using SP1500-SP2K; all this previously published in my thread about the SP1500:

Shapton Pro 1500: First impressions/comparison with pics

It doesn’t feel like very hard steel – I’d say below 60HRC – but it sharpened like a dream. Edge was clean and enjoyable, however obvious this steel had more to give.

So I went with it to test my fine stones (at the time): basically I would dull the edge before each stone, sharpen from clean, refine and deburr with raising mud. To add to the paper test, since I was searching for a specifically fine edge that wouldn’t skid on stuff, I had a couple of onions that I kept the outer layer of skin on, and went to slice right through at each step. I have some pictures of that, but decided against presenting them here, rather focusing on stone/edge pictures.

First finer stone test was Suehiro Ouka: a real grabby, lively edge, but uninteresting to me. I used that stone from clean first:

2.jpg

… tested the edge and went to add some more refinements raising some slurry first. My remarks here are casual, I didn’t use the Ouka extensively, but I think it works quite well using it from clean: fast to start with, will get to a nice deburring/refining mud of itself, won’t necessitate a whole deal of water, no straightforward Shapton sharpening there, must add a bit of fantasy strokes to get the story going, but only just so. Using it forcing some mud, even for more of a stropping session, had it dry out quite faster:

3.jpg

I could perhaps get a bit more out of it by playing with different conditions, but I’m not interested to develop it this way, especially where in my tests the resulting edge was just about the same, and not my kind of fine. To me the Ouka is a nice polishing stone, but if you like real bite to a fine edge, it’s one good, fast sharpening stone too. I’m guessing you can bring those fine teeth to twice the grit in a real fine stone, and still feel the bite of it in the end. I literally came to the same conclusion about mud when polishing: just give it a good deal of water, and rub away, it will form a nice polishing mud fast that won’t require dire water management, mostly add-ons to keep drying/clogging at bay. Forcing mud with the Ouka seems a waste of time to me – it lets itself be used pretty easily after a 10-15 minutes soak.

Next test was Suehiro Rika dulling the edge again first – I wanted to have a real idea of what my two #5000 stones could do with this steel, and compare speed from a reproducible state. For sake of comparativeness, I also used the Rika from clean, then raising mud: that being said I often did this with that stone, especially coming from a coarser stone, where I use the stone clean to deburr the edge some, splash to get the bits out, raise mud, and go the full refining and deburring process.

Clean:
4.JPG

With mud:
5.JPG
6.JPG

IDK, to me the Rika needs that forced mud for ultimate refinement – and is much creamier and fun to use there too. Not that you can’t refine the Ouka this way, but since it’s so keen to a healthy amount of mud, it seems to subsume of itself into a finer range, whereas the Rika needs that little lift to get there. If no S&G for sure, and softer, I never found the Rika to be especially muddy nor soft. It needs its soak but feels quite hard and has an easy but rather shy mud; forcing some to refine is what allows maximum refinement in my use – and contrarily to Ouka, I feel a much greater difference in resulting edges from both uses.

7.JPG

Last test was SP5K - a stone I hated for a long time but now know is the only one of my collection of fines that can bring the edge of any simple enough steel to that ballpark I like the most. This one sure feels like the hardest stone I have ever experienced: glassy feeling unforgiving surface. With it I always raise mud first nowadays: I find it gives more consistent grip to start with, sheds any remnant of a burr faster, and since the stone doesn’t hold to that mud well and will need water, I end up with the stone almost clean, to its full refinement/deburring powers, but with a somewhat higher amount of a nice slick slurry. I think the whole process helps that stone get a bit more bite with the edge than using splash clean – and I came to love THAT edge.

Edge was dulled once more, and despite my “knowing better” out of it, still used the stone clean first in this test for sakes of comparativeness:

8.JPG

Then with mud:

9.JPG
10.JPG

And at that level, again, the Konosuke was really obedient, and took the edge about just as easily as any carbon would or so.

For how fast those stones work, I’d say Ouka is quite coarse in feeling, and fast for sharpening (basically speed feels like 1500-2000 to me, and if I was asked what stone I have that acts/feels the closest to it, I’d say basically a mix of King Deluxe 1200 and SP1500 with a much greater range of refinement); Rika is relatively fast for its nominal grit – as often said, it starts more like 3000 grit – but surely twice as slow as the Ouka; then the SP5K once again is about twice as slow as Rika.

Last edited:
Add-on: Konosuke has seen about 6 preps and some watermelon quartering/slicing too - on cheap bamboo board - since then. It lost the very keen fresh out of 5K feeling within the first two preps, then has seen the watermelon, and the remnant edge is pretty nice still; as of the last prep only starts to take a steeper dulling curve. Mind you it's still cutting anything without asking questions. But the 5K fine edge now feels SP2K stropping at best.

Another interesting and well written review. Thanks for taking the time to put these together!
I always pick up some new ideas I want to try out after reading them.

Add-on: Konosuke has seen about 6 preps and some watermelon quartering/slicing too - on cheap bamboo board - since then. It lost the very keen fresh out of 5K feeling within the first two preps, then has seen the watermelon, and the remnant edge is pretty nice still; as of the last prep only starts to take a steeper dulling curve. Mind you it's still cutting anything without asking questions. But the 5K fine edge now feels SP2K stropping at best.
Ever considered a more obtuse angle than the 20° inclusive?

Ever considered a more obtuse angle than the 20° inclusive?

For the proper long run edge, absolutely. For testing I treated it like I would a carbon - with the same angle than I gave Yoshikane and Takada No Hamono, since they were all part of my testing. It's not without merits there neither - for all I've done with it after sharpening above, it kept the very fine edge rather well. Could just strop it on SP5K right now. However got some new stones to test - so the Kono will rather be resharpened on Imanishi 4K, with the same parameters as above.

When you use the Rika and SP after first creating a slurry/mud, what level of pressure are you using? Ballpark figure.

Sure wouldn’t have known what to tell you. So as I was sharpening the Kono on Imanishi 4K I took that pressure to the balance: I’ll lilely use 450-600g to form a burr, and 250-350g in refining. Rika with mud was always in the refining process, so 300g +/-

I will say it seems you created a completely new edge with these fine stones. I get it for testing, however I would say the best bet for performance would be going to these stones from something coarser. Like naniwa 800 to ouka, or maybe shapton 1k to ouka.

Obviously testing yes. Especially, didn’t want the coarser stones influencing the fine ones under test.

An interesting aspect to breach, however. Knowing the very character of the fines was my goal; once that is set, it's pretty easy to know what progression leads best to their intrinsic quality.

I could of course have used a "dummy" med stone: SP1K for example. Doesn't have much character, that edge, so I could have taken it to the fines without changing the test outcome much. Then again for judging speed, having to set a new edge was the easiest way that could also be replicated - meaning, using a different knife. I used them with HD2, W#2 and SG2. Think that trio can somewhat sum up what to expect from a fine "SS", carbon steel, and relatively easy PM. I'm not very tempted with trying other PMs. Have nothing against, but since SP5K is my favorite edge, it seems obvious I will be inclined towards simple steels that take and hold it well with acute sharpening angles. As a home user, and since I do like to have regular sharpening sessions to keep fresh with my skills/evolution thereof, the extra edge retention is rather a moot point.

If talking about progression, then to date, and within my setup, I'd say that siblings progression is pretty much the way to go, as it happens.

Best before SP5K = SP2K = real fine edge. However I don't like starting a sharpening session on SP2K, so would probably keep SP1K to go with these, using SP2K only to strop/deburr SP1K, and revive edges since its excellent at it.

Best before NP3000 = NP800 = aggressive fine edge

Best before Ouka = Cerax 700 = toothy fine edge

Rika was the oddball - liked it best with a progression from NP800 with SP2K in between for harder to deburr steels, or just generally making my life easier on any steel. It blended NP3000 with Ouka for an even finer edge - somewhat in between fine aggressiveness and real teeth. Nice stone with nice polishing capacities.

Of course, it's not set in stones. :p Other progressions from my med stones work. As it is however I'm trying to determine which stones do I absolutely want to keep. Those tests helped me determine best progressions I could have for an edge. For polishing, well I have a few recourses that work. With Rika sold, I need another final polisher, but likely that will be used with Cerax #700 - SP1500 - Ouka beforehand. Those three just work well together, but Ouka needs a finisher for the nicer Kasumi. I shouldn't have sold Rika without finding its replacement first, but it helped with selling the other ones. May just buy another Rika down the road, but I'd really like to find a stone that does even better. Think that might possibly be Morihei Hi 6000, from other reports.

I'd like to leave a word about the Imanishi I tested today, but they were good and particular enough that I think I'll have to make yet another thread just for them.

Thanks for the specific comment - it helps to write and set this down, for me. But I could go on for hours... will rather keep that for myself.

Sure wouldn’t have known what to tell you. So as I was sharpening the Kono on Imanishi 4K I took that pressure to the balance: I’ll lilely use 450-600g to form a burr, and 250-350g in refining. Rika with mud was always in the refining process, so 300g +/-
Why this huge pressure? If the edge is just to be refined, only a few of the lightest strokes will do to show up the remaining burr.

Why this huge pressure? If the edge is just to be refined, only a few of the lightest strokes will do to show up the remaining burr.
450-600g to raise a burr on a 4k certainly is. Please be aware there's already a good, almost completely deburred edge.
Just verified how much I do apply on a NP3k: 100-150g.

IDK but with all due respect I think you're idealizing this further than it can be. I can see a few reasons for that, so I will reiterate a couple points of importance:

1- don't forget I thoroughly dull the edge with a couple edge down swipes on the side of SP2K before going to the fine. IDK what stone you would use, but SP5K or Imanishi 4K will need about 40 strokes with burr pressure to get a consistent, definite burr on one side. I can feel one forming with 15-20, but I do as if I was on a med stone. I'm not confident enough with almost nonexistent burr to touch being enough to make sure I apex the plateau I created when dulling.

2- pressure force was taken transferring the knife from stone to balance. You say 150g or so, but that's the weight of the knife in this case - meaning no pressure at all.

3- what I mean with refining is also flipping the burr. So I'll use burr pressure ONLY to get the definite burr and flip it the other side. Then circa 300g pressure to start as I refine (flip). This pressure goes down each time I come around the same side again.

4- final deburring countdown strokes are mostly knife weight - what you seem to imply as refining, which works yes when working on an edge formed from coarser stone. But in this case, I am doing the whole shebang on the fine stone.

5- overall, hearing Kramer speaking of 6 pounds of pressure to sharpen, and overall comments on KKF when this subject is breached, I do not think I am using excessive pressure in anything I do. I sure improved on that aspect as I gained experience. Can I succeed with even less pressure? Surely, I could. Would probably need the loupe each step of the process to make sure I have a burr from dull on 4K, but yes, I could, and use about twice as much strokes too. Don't think I see the point in this though. Am I overdoing it? I don't think no one can pretend that I do from those circumstances. Mechanically speaking, the knife was 49mm tall when I got it, and still is after 5-6 dulling and fine resharpening. I'm barely moving steel at all with this burr pressure and amount of strokes.

My bad reading. I see your point no. 4. This is no progression, as you're working on the 4k with a totally blunt edge. In the case of a usual progression though, the previously built edge is likely to crumble under such a pressure and instead an entirely new edge is formed.

Yes I know - happened when I was noober, before you ask how I know... :p

From a progression, I'd say I'll start with the lower range of my own "refining pressure" and very cautiously at that - say 200g at most and go down until blade weight only. I NEVER reproduce burr pressure once I have it and flip it once. I usually apply less and less pressure from a personal impression of half to start with as I go upgrit. As to clarify - and that's why I'm still afraid of a two stones only progression when fully sharpening, with deburring in mind. Going through three or even four I know I'll drop pressure again and again and really just keep flipping then just abrading the burr away. Finally I don't accept an edge is deburred and keep on the stone as long as I can feel... something like moving-dragging in a stroke. Feeling must be 100% clean, a couple of times in a row. Then usually clean the stone and finish with a couple edge leading. There again, I usually can somehow feel (say, suspect) that I still have too strong a burr.

Back