Corned beef

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The meat is reposing in the refrigerator, as well as the liquid for de-fatting later.

5.1 lb. raw weight for the beef, 2 lb 10.8 oz cooked weight.

About 4.5 cups of strained liquid, prior to de-fatting.

From the sample I tasted, claims of juicieness/tenderness are valid. As it didn't boil in a large pot of water with a lot of potatoes/cabbage/carrots for "salt scavenging", it is quite noticeably saltier than what momma made.

20190316_094725.jpg

As it didn't boil in a large pot of water with a lot of potatoes/cabbage/carrots for "salt scavenging", it is quite noticeably saltier than what momma made.
View attachment 50234

I didn't think of that- Do you think most people would consider it too salty?

I wonder if soaking in cool water for a few hours prior to sous-vide would reduce the saltiness?

The main advantage of the Anova is that you can use it without an app. With the Joule, you cannot. The big problem here is that you can use the Joule only for as long as the manufacturer is willing to push out updates for the app. And they have to do that regularly, because the ecosystem on phones is in constant flux, so older software typically stops working after a few years if it isn't updated.

Ten years from now, a Joule will most likely still work fine but, if you can't get the app updated anymore, it will be a useless lump of electronics.

For this reason, I never buy any device that can be operated only via a smart phone. There is no incentive for the manufacturer to keep spending money on updating apps once they have sold you the hardware. The economic model for phone-operated devices simply doesn't work.

Well, I'll agree to disagree. :) It's a question of convenience and economics for me. I was initially skeptical about the need for a smartphone, but I have a decent Wi-Fi setup at home, including repeaters for range, and I'm using an Android phone where that OS is not going away any time soon. I like the convenience of not having to hover over the circulator to know when it's up to temp. Without any buttons, it's mechanically simpler with fewer things to wear out.

And finally, the thing only costs $180 and I think I got it on sale for less. Maybe $160? That makes it one of the least expensive electrically-powered gadgets in our kitchen. If I have to replace it because it no longer talks to my phone (or vice-versa) it's no big deal. I think any circulator at this price point (including the Anova) is likely to have a motor or pump failure before an incompatibility with the smartphone shows up. It's not the kind of thing that will last forever. Meanwhile, it just works.

I didn't think of that- Do you think most people would consider it too salty?

I wonder if soaking in cool water for a few hours prior to sous-vide would reduce the saltiness?

I recommend a rinse and water soak if you don't like too much saltiness. It doesn't have to be for too long, maybe a half-hour? My wife just cooked a corned beef brisket (slow oven, not sous vide), and did a rinse and short soak beforehand. It came out just right, with the kind of background saltiness you want for corned beef, but not too much.

Anyone else do SV in a dough tub? Luckily, I never seem to need to rise and circulate at the same time. But it's good to have the vessel be multipurpose. I do have two lids, though, one with a hole for the stick cut out and one with no hole.

Anyone else do SV in a dough tub? Luckily, I never seem to need to rise and circulate at the same time. But it's good to have the vessel be multipurpose. I do have two lids, though, one with a hole for the stick cut out and one with no hole.

I know people use all sorts of things for a sous vide container, but I like clear plastic or glass. It lets me check that the water level is still good and the bags haven't shifted and are still underwater. I can also see if a bag has burst open. That hasn't happened yet, but I'd sure want to know about it quickly.

Funny that you all should bring up using a dough tub. I just tried that and... the Anova I have (3 year old bluetooth model) lost it after 45 mins. Why? Because steam envelopes the unit and... wait for it.... the electronics are not protected from the steam. So they started freaking out, turning the heater off and on and beeping incessantly.

IF you do this, *get a lid* so that most of the steam is trapped in the tub. Cut a hole in it that the circulator fits in that's just wide enough for it.

Last edited:
This...

20190316_215752.jpg

is WAY better than what I was directed to put out for the customers at "The Inn on the Park" in Madison, WI back around 1998.

I added some extra spices (mustard seed, whole corriander, a bay leaf, a couple each of whole cloves, whole black peppercorns and whole alspice to a mixture of 4 cups de fatted and strained liquid from meat water + 8 cups additional water I used for for cooking the veges.

Veges took about 45 minutes on simmer after bringing to a boil. Added first the large carrot chunks and small red potatoes and reduced to a simmer, last a quartered small green cabbage about 25 minutes before serving.

I steamed the sliced meat in a basket over the vege for the last 15 minutes before serving, which noticeably reduced the saltiness of the beef.

Just before serving, I put a grind of black pepper and a touch of white balsamic vinegar + lemon juice & melted butter on the cabbage.

The salt level of all constituents, in the end was just about right for my taste, and she-who-must-be-obeyed granted me leave to MAKE THAT AGAIN!!!

Last edited:
I was pretty happy with my meal. The brisket was a little firm--think I'll try 150F next time--but it was tender enough and the flavor was amazing. The veggies were great, but ended up a tad mushy because we were having too much fun with appetizers and drinks so dinner was delayed by a couple hours. All in all a success!

Im'a gonna defrost a venison neck roast and see if this new toy can make it tender yet succulent-

My initial SWAG is to try a sous vide profile of 150 F. for around 40 hours. I'm thinking about dry rubbing on some of the constituents of a traditional German "sauerbratten" for spices, but no acidic or alcohol based ingredients (vinegar, beer & etc.)

Anyone got experience here?

And a natural stone was waiting in the mailbox too. Will post elsewhere about this. Oh, happy day...

Back