• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Custom 270mm Hide Kirtsuke

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cheflivengood

Reaction score
Hello All!

Up for sale is a very well used, yet newly refinished Hide Kirtsuke. This is much taller than a standard Kirtsuke (53mm) and has more of an up-sweep at the tip. It is very thin behind the edge right now, more on the yanagi side of things, rather than the usuba. I refinished this knife by hand, above the shinogi is finished with ultra fine scotch brite and Flitz, then bellow the shinogi is uchigomori and a mirror like polish on the core steel. Back side is a scotch bright and flitz, a kind of hazy shininess. The knife is not perfect, but its the best I can do in my one bedroom apartment in down town haha. The Ura of the knife was a little wavy on the spine but is strong and even on the edge. There are 3 videos on my instagram of the finish and sharpness of the knife, its a razor with perfect HT:

https://www.instagram.com/cheflivengood/

As you can see there is no longer a makers mark as I thinned it by hand to the point where it dissipated. There is now a gap between the handle joint and tang of about .5mm. I can fill this with silicone on request, or sawdust and beeswax, but this is a good candidate for a re-handle IMO, It is still a snug fit with no wiggle (only removed once). It comes with a standard saya that does the job, but it is not a snug fit. I re sanded the handle as well to get rid of grime from a couple years use.

IMG_4939.JPG
IMG_4938.JPG
IMG_4937.JPG
IMG_4941.JPG

Price $600 All included in CON USA

$475. Ill through in a small chunk of uchigmori, and a couple of nagura (Tenjyou and Mejiro )that I dont use!

I want to move this. As it should get a new handle and the grind isn't perfect, Ill reduce this to $350

I saw the video back when this was first posted (it's still on IG, just a few posts down) and it's impressive.

At the current price it's a bargain and I wish I was right handed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back