Custom Togashi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got an update from Evan at Strata today and wanted to confirm that this project is still alive, and at the original agreed-upon specs. Hitohira has formally placed the order with Togashi which, I gather, is a practice that requires some delicacy between vendor and blacksmith in order for the latter to not feel overwhelmed with the demands of a large custom order. The timing now depends on how quickly Togashi father and son can complete our 10 knives.

We are currently anticipating an approximate delivery at the end of 2023, though it might be sooner or a bit later. Evan estimates 9 months, but with orders of this kind, it's hard to be exact.

As long as everyone is still on board, we have enough knives for original subscribers to this project and perhaps an extra knife or two for Strata to sell to the general public on a first-come, first-serve basis.

If anyone wishes to back out from their commitment to this project given the longer than anticipated delivery time, please contact Evan directly at [email protected]. For myself, given that the arrival of clad kasumi Togashis seem to have slowed down significantly at retailers over the past year, I'm more enthusiastic than ever about this project.

I'll provide any additional updates as they emerge. Thanks for your patience, everyone.

Thanks for the update. I am quite excited about these. Timing will be great for me!

There are only two other spots so once they fill we can make the order.

Sorry, I don’t have any pictures as I sold those two before ever doing any work on them. I decided to go thicker and taller and wanted to make sure it was a winter honyaki.

I’ll actually finish this one and keep it

You’ll pay the vendor directly via PayPal and the work should be completed by the end of the year or sooner

Did you get your first one, @EricEricEric ? Would love to see some pics/a review. I'd be very interested in a beefy Togashi honyaki down the road...

Generally speaking, the consensus seems to be that there is a high possibility for a stronger hamon and greater chance of alloy banding

Pardon my ignorance, but what, apart from the obvious, differentiates a winter honyaki from others?
'The quenching water is not temperature controlled by the smith, meaning the water will be affected by the weather. The water during the winter season is at the lowest temperature creating even more drastic hardening effect than the blades done in other seasons. This creates comparatively harder and more wear resistant blade.'

And also the point made by Eric above.

Back