Cut Brooklyn: Opinions?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay... I'll bite. Why do you think that 52100 steel is the best?

I am a newbie who is looking to upgrade from my Shun Classics.

Jeff

Didn't see this addressed to me.

There are a few good knife steels on the market, but 52100 is probably one of the best out of carbon steels. It has fine grain, some resistance to rust, but more importantly, it responds very well to heat treatment. One can heat treat for sharpness, wear resistance, or both.

Another great thing about 52100 is it responds very well to stropping. I have sent knives to pro kitchen for testing (with my earlier HT which since improved) and the feedback I got was that a knife could go for a month or even longer between sharpening, with just stropping. How many steels could do that?

Makers like Bob Kramer, Bill Burke, Ed Fowler and countless others use 52100 extensively and some even consider it "super steel". Kind of funny, as on paper, it is just an OK steel.

I don't want to sound like I am shelling for 52100, so I will continue sending out knives for testing in pro environment and have them reviewed on the forum. This hopefully will settle the claim.

M

Can't believe all the Cut Brooklyn Knife bashing going on, on this forum. Joels an artist, his medium is steel, are they the best in the world? who cares? there a thing of beauty, and any Chef, home cook, rich guy , Poor guy that has the honour of holding one in his hand should appreciate the love and passion that went into making that knife with his 2 hands from start to finish.
I had the good fortune to be given one as a gift from a very wealthy cousin after retiring from the restaurant business after 23 years. Although I'm not a papered chef i do know my way around a kitchen and achieved 4 diamond status for 12 years exclusively in my city when my restaurant was.I have only had limited experience with my Cut Brooklyn Knife as i just received it a few weeks ago, but absolutely love it for its weighting, edge, handle, and beautiful appearance. I hope other chefs soon get the opportunity to put one of J:biggrin:eek:els knives to the test and comment on there experience.

by bashing do you actually mean lack of hype? i don't find them pretty either so to me there is nothing about those knives that make me interested in even demoing one.

Welcome to KKF, Morty.

I found that the Cut Brooklyn I used was a nice enough knife, but nothing special, certainly nothing that could possibly justify the price tag.

Rick

Although not too many knives get featured in Playboy, at least not that I know of...
Pics courtesy of a friend visiting a specific store.

20140216_172217_zps6ea2d8ac.jpg

20140216_172210_zps556f17f1.jpg

"Playboy Edition" sold by DC Sharp, in Washington, DC. That's a huge price tag/mark up for such an ugly knife. Handle looks way too thin to be comfortable.

[video=youtube;PRLHbHm1tB4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRLHbHm1tB4[/video]

Rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd dig this one up...

Cut Brooklyn was featured in a Tasting Table entry today.
http://www.tastingtable.com/entry_d...harp_2014_10_07&utm_content=Cooking_editorial

In the article there are links to three other new-ish knife makers, that have had some experience working w/ Cut Brooklyn, two of which are women.

I kinda like Moriah Cowles knives. Simple and they look like they could actually be pretty good to use. $600 for a 10" chef's knife???!!! Really???!!!

But Chelsea Miller's knives, oh my... hat's off to her for learning a craft from her father and trying to be creative, but the knives that she's making form files and rasps are just MEGA FAIL for real kitchen use. And $450 for an old file that's had an edge ground onto it and piece of wood glued on for an awkward handle???!!!

Chelsea Miller chefs knife.jpg

Our world seems to be in a place now where more and more people are doing things "the old way" (knives, jeans, clothing, shoes, food, axes, metal works, jewelry, etc - take your pick), and at the same time putting their own creative twist on whatever they're making. I'm not one to ever discourage anyone from doing anything, trying something new, and making something themselves, but if you can't get the basics right, then anything "new" that you try will most likely be mediocre at best. Just because it's "hand made" and you've got a nostalgic story behind your brand does not justify a high price tag for mid-level quality - at best - products. Our consumer age is more interested in the brand and the story behind it than the actual product themselves.

Rant over. Carry on! :laugh:

It's always an interesting, if sometimes infuriating, process trying to get through to some of the newer artisans. Some have heart but too much pride...they'll take advice six months after the fact (usually they'll dismiss it in the beginning with various excuses) and try to convince people that their own diligent research has led them to changes and improvements.

Eh, I guess it's still better to try sometimes and see if that delayed acceptance manifests and the market improves a teency bit as a result.

http://www.tastingtable.com/entry_d...harp_2014_10_07&utm_content=Cooking_editorial

In the article there are links to three other new-ish knife makers, that have had some experience working w/ Cut Brooklyn, two of which are women.

I kinda like Moriah Cowles knives. Simple and they look like they could actually be pretty good to use. $600 for a 10" chef's knife???!!! Really???!!!

But Chelsea Miller's knives, oh my... hat's off to her for learning a craft from her father and trying to be creative, but the knives that she's making form files and rasps are just MEGA FAIL for real kitchen use. And $450 for an old file that's had an edge ground onto it and piece of wood glued on for an awkward handle???!!!

View attachment 24929

Our world seems to be in a place now where more and more people are doing things "the old way" (knives, jeans, clothing, shoes, food, axes, metal works, jewelry, etc - take your pick), and at the same time putting their own creative twist on whatever they're making. I'm not one to ever discourage anyone from doing anything, trying something new, and making something themselves, but if you can't get the basics right, then anything "new" that you try will most likely be mediocre at best. Just because it's "hand made" and you've got a nostalgic story behind your brand does not justify a high price tag for mid-level quality - at best - products. Our consumer age is more interested in the brand and the story behind it than the actual product themselves.

Well said Michael. You're another long term valued KKF member we haven't heard enough from lately.

I think his prices are out of line with his skill level. That's based on what he sells. If you look past the cool hipster video, and at the product there is something you are either going to love or hate. With all custom things people have different preferences.

I personally like his story and his success as an artist despite his lack of master craftsmanship. I think it's absurd to charge what he does.

I think his prices are out of line with his skill level. That's based on what he sells. If you look past the cool hipster video, and at the product there is something you are either going to love or hate. With all custom things people have different preferences.

I personally like his story and his success as an artist despite his lack of master craftsmanship. I think it's absurd to charge what he does.

Why is it so absurd? I don't really understand the idea of having a 'standard' of pricing dependent on how good you are or how long you've been doing it. If he's clearly got an audience for his work and his business is thriving, I don't see the issue. Why should a maker limit one's self because the norm is to charge a certain price? Knife making as a profession is not only about making knives but being able to get them out there with an effective gain. I rather like the fact that there are makers out there who are rewarding themselves well for their practice.

there's an ass for every seat..

i love living in a world where we all have a differing opinion..good thread.

View attachment 24929

Bloodroot Blades makes some really nice knives out of old files (and other old bits of metal, like sawmill saw blades....) I don't always like BB's designs, but the few that I've used have been great performers.

I do have a Moriah Cowles knife, and really enjoy it for detailed work - it's a smaller chef's, and the thinness of the tip and the very flat profile works exceptionally well for certain tasks.

I see your point Don...He's got a niche, he went through the learning curve now he's charging what he can get. But I think he's very pricey compared what else is out there. So many other choices. I do believe an artist is entitled to charge whatever he wants.

Yes absolutely I think pricing of knives should depend on skill of the maker. If I am buying a knife marketed as a hand made product I want to own part of the artistic skill. I suppose I am a bit of a lunatic when it comes to the arts. If I see a Honyaki gyuto for sell at 1,000$...then I see some guy in Brooklyn charging 500$ for something he didn't even forge...I ask myself is this guy 50 percent as good as the guy who actually worked the steel?

We pay what we want for materialistic art and goods. Knives are amazing. I wish the best to all aspiring knife makers. I just wish we could have more realistic expectations of getting what we pay for. An artist who succeeds is a marvelous thing.

I wish Cut Brooklyn the best, but I'd never pay that kind of coin when I could get something made in a more intimate handmade tradition from Japan.

Price is in the eyes of the two parties involved, classic supply and demand and evidently he has the demand. I've not used his knives to know how they cut, but I'm pretty sure that's not what I'm looking for in a knife.

I wish Cut Brooklyn the best, but I'd never pay that kind of coin when I could get something made in a more intimate handmade tradition from Japan.

Here is where I very respectfully disagree with you. There is nothing special about Japanese smiths in my opinion. All I am looking for is performance, is that knife cut better than the other one? It's nice to have bling but not to sacrifice performance.

I'll be testing out a Cut Brooklyn very soon, and will hopefully remember to get back to this thread with some of my thoughts regarding Joel's knives.

I will say that Bloodroot Blades are flat out performers (recycled materials or not), and Moriah Cowles makes some really, really promising pieces. She's cool **** too. She'll be around for a while. :)

Is like to try a cut Brooklyn knife as I do think for myself id rather own a shig or Kato or something along those lines but I do want to give one a go.

I'll be testing out a Cut Brooklyn very soon, and will hopefully remember to get back to this thread with some of my thoughts regarding Joel's knives.

I will say that Bloodroot Blades are flat out performers (recycled materials or not), and Moriah Cowles makes some really, really promising pieces. She's cool **** too. She'll be around for a while. :)

I'm with lefty on this- on both points.

There is nothing special about Japanese smiths in my opinion

Nothing special about car makers from Modena or Stuttgart, either. The roller skates I fabricated out of used condoms and horse hoof files move too, just like Ferrari and Porsche! Linearly!

Idiot.

Nothing special about car makers from Modena or Stuttgart, either. The roller skates I fabricated out of used condoms and horse hoof files move too, just like Ferrari and Porsche! Linearly!

Idiot.

I think you missed my point entirely. There are some good Japanese smiths as well as good American smiths. The product is more important than nationality. There is an entire thread around this.

Read the entire post next time mate.

Latest posts

Back